Pages

Sunday, 11 March 2012

Turning negatives into positives.

I'm trying to change my attitude when things go wrong.  It's not that easy for me.  Being a depressive most of my life, my mood tends to drop when things don't go right.  But during the past few days I've been attempting to put this positive attitude into practise.

 Late on Thursday afternoon I lost my internet connection. Everything else, modem, splitter box, wires etc were fine. I switched on and off several times but nothing. So I phoned TTNet. I know I sing the praises of dolmuş drivers and post office workers,  but it's impossible to do the same with TTNet. I have never once found anyone in their customer service department to be the least bit helpful.

 This occasion was no exception. The man on the other end of the phone told me to check everything I had already checked, even though I had already told him I had. He then got me to log in to the modem page on my laptop..ran through the various boxes and told me what to click or tick. I did. We reached the bottom of the second page and he then appeared to get stuck.  There was a pause and he then informed me that he would report the fault to the engineers and someone would call me...thankyou and goodbye.  I never did get a call from the engineers.

I'd normally be seething but I found that it helped to keep a smile on my face for the entire conversation.  When I put the phone down, I took a deep breath and counted to 10....and relaxed.

The positive aspect of having no internet for the entire evening meant that I could make a start on my new book, which would no doubt have been put off for a while.  So far so good.

I also went to sleep early, but that meant that I was up at about 5am.  After a coffee, I decided to take down all the curtains and start loading them into the washing machine.  Once it started to get light, I vacuumed everywhere and washed all the floors except for the kitchen.

I still had no internet connection, but wasn't too concerned as I was using the opportunity to get the curtains sorted.   I had most of them out on the washing line by 8am,and the last load was in the machine.

I heard the washing machine click, indicating that it had finished it's cycle and opened the door.   It hadn't finished.  It was full of water which came gushing out and flooded the kitchen.   We had a powercut and I hadn't realised that this is why the machine had stopped.  But this was OK because I hadn't yet washed the kitchen floor, so it got a more through wash than usual.   You see...I'm still being positive!

The power stayed off for nearly 8 hours, but it was the perfect opportunity to sit out on the balcony in the sunshine and continue reading my book.

When power was finally restored, so was my internet connection, and everything was back to normal.

Mr A popped home on Friday on the bus and stayed until yesterday morning which was a pleasant surprise.  He did a bit more woodwork...he's obsessed with it but it keeps him happy.   He was as usual covered from head to toe in sawdust and was about to take a shower when we discovered that the water supply had been cut.   So we had to make do with my tipping bottled drinking water over him so that he could at least wash the sawdust out of his hair.

In the morning the water was still off and didn't return until the afternoon.   Mr A couldn't wait to get back to Kusadasi to have a shower so he set off early.    I wasn't bothered at all.  I did all my washing the day before and just let the dishes pile up for the rest of the day.

All these things happen here on a regular basis, and normally make me feel very stressed.  But I seem to be able to turn negatives into positives more often than I used to.

Or maybe I'm just mellowing in my old age.

    

23 comments:

  1. You have done so well to stay calm and positive through all this. For some reason the little bit of Hebden Bridge that we live in gets power cuts about once a month. I get so frustrated, and then realsie how much our modern life depends on power sources...so then I feel frustrated and guilty. Well done at maintaining such a positive approach ! Hope the rest of the day goes well for you. J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice I took power and water pretty much for granted until I moved here..not any more!

      Delete
  2. I find I'm less stressed these days about electrical things going phutt....the water supply needing to have its pipes blasted free of air bubbles....the disappearance of a favoured brand of something from the shops....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly I actually wonder if it's because those around us are so laidback. Maybe it has an effect on us.

      Delete
  3. a positive attitude can get one through a lot of stressful stuff...the water pouring out of the washer and giving you a chance to give the kitchen floor a super cleaning is a magnificent example of positive attitude.

    we are so spoiled here in the states...it takes a major (and usually natural) disaster to remind us that water and electricity are not always immediately available every second of the day. If survival means having a positive attitude...I'd better be working on my attitude too! cause I just know this is the summer we're going to have a major hurricane hit here in west central Florida! and we're in a flood zone...which means we'll have to evacuate! is this starting to sound negative ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theanne, well I don't blame you for feeling a bit negative at the prospect of hurricanes and floods. It's very worrying. I hope you all stay safe xx

      Delete
  4. Oh My Gosh!!!! You sure have some action in your home. I know what you mean you can read a book, I actually take a book and gravitate back to the computer...to make sure I didn't miss anything.
    At least you got your kitchen floor extra double sparkly.

    ....talk about computer techy guys...well our internet here put you through for technical support to India, and I swear they don't know anything. Plus their accent is so strong I haven't got a clue what they are muttering about. So hang up and wait till morning till I can get some person from here.
    I'd better not show your post to my husband, b/c he's going to say ...'see how people live' and you are like a Princess. (which is true LOL)

    Glad you are looking at all of this as positive.
    try and have a good and positive day today . :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Erica, compared with some of the things I've had to adapt to, I lived like a princess in the UK. It's amazing how we can change to suit our circumstances.

      Delete
    2. I should explain is that my husband calls me a Princess but he doesn't see his family in Izmir who live a real better life then me and him here....especially his sister. You are right we can adapt to different circumstances.
      But glad you are thinking 'stress free'...especially for hypertension.

      Delete
  5. If you coped with all those problems one after another without throwing something, you are definitely learning to deal with stress more positively, Ayak. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Perpetua, I'm still quite surprised at myself!

      Delete
  6. Excellent, Ayak - I am going to take a leaf out of your book (and read one or two for myself.) Taking things in your stride makes you feel taller. You must feel sky high!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My internet package is finishing tomorrow! So I'm on it late tonight, getting my fix of favourite blogs and u-tube music videos. I usually sign up for 6 months and then take a break for 2 or 3 months. I have some books that I want to read, I study Turkish in my spare time but have not opened a book or listened to a CD for ages. My garden needs tending. I grew some vegetables last year and I surprised myself with a good harvest! This morning, I made a list of all the things I want to do around the house, ie, a few sewing jobs, baking bread, making pumpkin/ginger jam, painting the spare room and a few more jobs. I have been disorganised and putting things off. I did some of the sewing this morning and I did a lot of weeding in the garden this afternoon. The garden always help to lift my spirits. I am going to pack away my laptop and go to bed earlier at night. This will help me to get up earlier and thus have more daylight. The more daylight I have and less darkness, I find this keeps me in a more positive frame of mind. I can't wait for the extra hour at the end of March. I hope the warm weather comes soon for you Ayak and I'll check in on your blog in a few weeks(in my local library) to catch up with you and Mr.Ayak. Take care xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noreen it sounds like you have a lot of self-discipline. I wish I could pack away my laptop for 2 or 3 months and do lots of other useful things instead.
      Enjoy your reading and gardening and your break away from the internet. I'll look forward to you popping in here from time to time though xxx

      Delete
  8. I've given up trying to follow a 'thread'....but yes, the spirit of 'manana' has taken me over....though I have to say that Costa Rica gives much more freedom than France...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think this sense of freedom (which I also feel here) does affect our stress levels. I don't think the people I knew or worked with 15 years ago in the UK would recognise me as the same person now. I talk in this post about my attitude over the past few days but really it has been a gradual change over the years.

      Delete
  9. You've spurred me into action. I have a list of things to do and I've been ignoring them. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am quite a pessimist person, too. when anything happens, i immediately think of the worst possible outcome and usually depress my ownself. but lately, i try to tel myself "keep calm. it won't probably happen that way. and there can even be a good thing coming out of it." and usually, i can find something good coming out of it. for example once, even though long years ago, i forgot my wallet in the office. and i only noticed that back at home. naturally, i was very angry - mostly to myself. and a thief broke in our apartment that very night, so forgetting the wallet at home turned out to be a very lucky thing.

    last time i read your blog, you had a problem with your washing machine. did you fix it or bought a new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jedilost: Yes leaving your wallet at work was definitely a positive thing on that occasion!
      We managed to get a new washing machine, helped by our friends who used their credit card to arrange taksit which we will pay. Such a relief not to do all that hand washing!

      Delete
  11. Ayak...... you are the most positive person in Blogland and you put up with things that would make others tear their hair out. Also you keep a sense of humour. I think we could all learn from you!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Maggie. I'm not always positive I can assure you but I do try!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x