Sunday, 25 March 2012

A visit by the Vet is due.

I don't take much notice when my dogs are grooming themselves.  They lick and scratch from time to time, but today I noticed that Beki was constantly licking her leg.  I tried to investigate but she hates anyone touching her legs and feet. We always have a battle when it comes to cutting her nails.

 Eventually while she was sleeping I managed to have a look and noticed that the dew claw on one of her back legs has grown into a complete circle and the end has embedded itself into the flesh causing what appears to be an abscess.

I was quite shocked that I hadn't noticed it before, although it's sometimes difficult to see dew claws on long-haired dogs.  Of couse as soon as I attempted to touch her leg she cried so I had to back off.

Mr A has just phoned the vet in Milas and it's necessary for Beki to have an anaesthetic so that the vet can cut all the dew claws and the rest of her nails, and deal with the abscess.

As we don't have transport and Mr A is in Kusadasi at the moment, the vet has kindly offered to drive out to the village at 8am tomorrow...I assumed to collect Beki and take her back to his premises.  But no, he will administer the anaesthetic here in the house and deal with the problems.

I'm a little anxious about this, but I guess I will just have to put my trust in the vet and hope he knows what he's doing.

Keep your fingers crossed for Beki please...I'll let you know how it goes.

22 comments:

  1. Fingers duly crossed....but at least you'll be there to look after her yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Fly. To be honest I'm always more anxious if one of the dogs has to be at the vet's surgery for the day, waiting to see if they're OK.

      Delete
  2. Poor Beki, but how great that the vet will come to treat her at home, saving you the problem of taking her in and collecting her. Hoping all goes well and she heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua. It's very kind of the vet to come out isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Absolutely awesome that a vet would come to your home to help Beki! Doggie prayers and positive thoughts for her as the vet does what he has to do...the anesthesia usage should be minamal...perhaps he will ask you to assist...or perhaps he will bring an assistant! Prayers and positive thoughts for you too Ayak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure Beki will be much happier having the vet come to her, than go to the vet. Vet's surgeries seem to contain mysterious vibes that have most dogs trembling as they cross the threshold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she will BtoB. You're absolutely right about the fear dogs have when they are dragged (as mine are) into the surgery.

      Delete
  5. I am impressed by the vert coming to Beki. I know my dog used to hate going to the vets, but loved visitors...Hope it goes well. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to feel more reassured by the vet coming here Janice. At least I'll be here to see that he's doing the job properly.

      Delete
  6. I wonderfuly that he is willing to do that. I hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. .........ahhhh poor Beki. But that's awesome that the Vet will come out.Sure is better for Beki that the Vet comes instead of taking her there. I know my dogs would always recognize the building when we use to go to our Vet and then it was a battle dragging one of them out of the car.

    I'll keep my fingers and my toes (might be difficult LOL) crossed for Beki. But I'm sure she will be fine.. I know my doggies are like my kids and I get myself sick from worry. Will wait to see your next post and see how Beki is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mine are like my kids too Erica. I won't stop worrying till it's all over x

      Delete
  8. Eeek! Its always worrying when our furry friends have a problem but I'm sure your vet knows what he's doing and it will be good that she wont have the added stress of the journey too and from!

    Hope all goes/went well

    C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. She's still very wobbly and disorientated, so I'll see how she is tomorrow before saying anymore.

      Delete
  9. Oh dear. So sorry to learn of Beki's painful condition. Poor thing. She will be in my prayers this evening; asking for a good surgery and quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Chris....and welcome xx

      Delete
  10. All fingers & toes firmly crossed.
    Hoping that will do the trick & all goes well.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. Will update later x

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x