Pages

Friday, 6 April 2012

Let's talk about the weather....

...well it's a favourite topic of the British, and I'm no exception.

Although to be honest, since moving to Turkey, there hasn't been much to talk about.   Until recently.  Weather here had always been so predictable and there wasn't a great deal you could say about it other than summers are hot, particularly July and August.  Spring and Autumn are very warm and pleasant. Winter weather is different, depending on the area.  Here it can be mild most of the time, chilly sometimes, and there's a fair amount of rain during January and February.   In other areas, for example Cappadocia, where we lived for 4 years, winters are very cold with lots of snow.

The British will always find something about the weather to discuss, because it is so unpredictable.  I understand that those of you in the UK have enjoyed a heatwave over the past few weeks, but now snow has arrived in some parts.  That must have been a bit of a shock.

Unpredictable weather has arrived in Turkey during the past year.  Until recently you could walk outside in the morning, look at the sky, and know exactly what the weather would be for that day.  Not any more.

Spring should be well and truly here now, with the promise of Summer only days or weeks away, but for a while now we have had the odd day when it feels like Spring, only to revert back to Winter the following day.   I've lost count of the number of times in recent weeks that I have removed the electric blanket from the bed, only to replace it again the following day.  I've packed away winter clothes and unpacked summer ones over and over again, and have now reached the point where all my clothes are back in the wardrobe, because I have no idea what to wear each day.

Yesterday was a good example.  It was very warm.  Temperatures were up in the 20s.  I was out in the garden wearing a t-shirt.  By mid-afternoon, dark clouds appeared with the promise of rain, and the temperature dropped.    It rained early evening for a couple of hours, and when it stopped, gale force winds arrived, and have been raging all night.  But it was warm..too warm for the electric blanket so I removed it before going to bed.

It's now  almost 7am.  It's daylight.  It's still very windy and it's suddenly cold.  I've been outside with the dogs and I've put the electric blanket back on the bed.  This is where I'll stay for the next couple of hours until I know whether I will be wearing a t-shirt or a thick sweater today.

Crazy weather.

17 comments:

  1. It's 7 am where you are and it's midnight here and I'm still puttering around the house. Tomorow everyone is home because it is Good Friday....so we are all up and we were watching the Turkish Drama "Fatmagul."
    We have the same weather issues....I live in The Great White North and I didn't see any snow this year. Which is great, all we did was dust the snow shovels this winter....Last 2 weeks ago it was in the 20's also....now it's in the low single digits and sometimes below zero at night....my flower buds are starting to come out. My crabapple tree is starting to bloom real early this year........The Canadian Geese are all out in full force stopping city traffic in some areas.... I guess they flew in earlier from Florida this year.
    It's kind of eary and scary with the weather changing so drastically in some areas.
    Have a great weekend and if you are celebrating Easter.....have a good one and I hope the Easter Bunny is extra special to you this year.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This changeable weather really affects things growing in the gardens Erica.

      I'm not celebrating Easter, but hope you and your family have a happy time xx

      Delete
  2. The forecast is for 24 degrees so get your shorts out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's now midday BtoB and it is indeed 24 degrees. However the wind is so strong that I can't sit outside for fear of being blown away!

      Delete
  3. Good morning Ayak, yes its the same here in Yorkshire, 20 plus degrees last week, heavy snow fall on Wednesday, all gone by yesterday, then back to gorgeous sunshine ( still cold though, low single digits). Today, grey, still chilly and looks like rain. I'm hoping for proper established spring weather when I get out to France next week.....long walks, spring flowers, blue skies, brightness, and lots of work in the garden. Hope you choose the right clothes for today. best wishes Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice..I'm still undecided about what to wear today. Actually its after midday and I'm still in my pjs. Probably no point in getting dressed now :-))

      Delete
    2. Excellent idea, pjs all day. I think I might have a day like that tomorrow. Enjoy !!!! J.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Janice...I love pj days..and as it's almost 3pm now there's absolutely no point in getting dressed xx

      Delete
  4. Seems no matter where you are in the World, the weather is acting up right now.
    It is freezing here at the moment, just because its the Easter holidays. After that heat wave last week it is a shock to the system.
    Happy Easter.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie..can you actually remember the last time you had good weather there over a bank holiday weekend? It's such a shame the heatwave hadn't lasted a little longer. Yes the weather everywhere is most odd.

      Delete
  5. Oh...where are my manners?

    Janice said Good morning and I didn't wish her a good morning.

    Maggie wished me Happy Easter and I didn't return the favour.

    Good morning everyone...and a very Happy Easter to those of you celebrating it xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a cloud in the sky here in London...freezing cold though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maud. Those clear skies can be so misleading can't they?
      It's now 26 degrees here and it would be lovely to sit outside if it wasn't blowing such a gale!

      Delete
  7. The rainy season has started a month early.....and very welcome too even if the thunderbolts whizzing past the balcony are enough to drive the dogs indoors to take refuge in the bedroom - four sets of reproachful eyes waiting for the storm to pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the dogs just hate it don't they Fly? Beki becomes a gibbering wreck. Poppy doesn't really notice but she does seem to try to snuggle up to Beki to comfort her which is quite sweet.

      Delete
  8. Poor Ayak. a cool, showery Easter here in the north of Scotland, very different from last spring or indeed a couple of weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Perpetua. What a shame you have showers for Easter Sunday. It's cloudy here today but temperature is good, around 25 degrees.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x