Pages

Friday, 4 May 2012

Back to reality and not taking anything for granted

Twelve days in the UK had me taking quite a lot of things for granted.  Now back to reality.  Summer has arrived with a vengeance.  From cold and rainy England, I was suddenly transported to temperatures up near 30 degrees. 

Unfortunately it's also very humid and we really need a storm to clear the air.

The UK has a hosepipe ban.  Ridiculous really considering the amount of rain that fell when I was there.  But at least when you turn on the tap you get water.  It's a different story here.  The start of summer brings the regular water cuts.  Since I returned the water has been off for around 4 hours every day.  It wouldn't be so bad if they switched it off at the same time each day, so you could plan when to shower, switch on the washing machine, do the washing-up and water the garden.  But that doesn't happen.  

I managed to do a lot of washing throughout Monday night as I couldn't sleep.  Just as well as the water went off early on Tuesday.  But the garden has been neglected.  So I was up as soon as it started to get light this morning.  I spent nearly two hours giving it a good soaking.  I was just about to take a shower.  Turned on the tap...and nothing.

And ticks seem to be a big problem this year.  Beki and Poppy picked up quite a lot while they were staying with Gwen in Selçuk.  I have showered them, frontlined them, and they also have flea collars.  But every time they go out in the garden, they are picking up the odd one.  The tick treatment is working up to a point, so the ticks will drop off or are easily removed.  But these nasty little creatures seem immune to whatever you use to deter them.

Mr A says there is something he can get to spray the garden to get rid of them, but he is so busy at the moment that I'm not sure when he will be able to get home.

If anyone has any ideas or solutions for ridding the garden of ticks, please let me know.

It looks like the dogs and I will be confined to the house for the next couple of weeks, to avoid the ticks and also unwanted attention from the male dogs of the village, as Beki is in season.

It should give me chance to spend time on the internet.  Although I have had connection problems every day, and we are also getting regular powercuts.

So this is my reality...never taking anything for granted.





16 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound llike the water cuts save water, just inconvenience everyone. I can imagine what uproar there would be if they did it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it probably doesn't save water as such KV. The Turks on the whole are pretty good at conserving water anyway. I suppose it serves as a reminder that water is scarce.

      Delete
  2. It sounds very frustrating Ayak, and I hope the dogs aren't suffering too much. I'm back in England for a few days for my daughter's 21st birthday, and I cant believe how wet and damp everythig feels....much more drookit than in France last week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm being a bit negative today Janice. Of course I am lucky to have such good weather...better than continual rain.
      Hope you enjoy your trip and your daughter's 21st xx

      Delete
  3. I wonder why your water keeps being cut off. We haven't had one cut in the village yet, in fact we have a new connection and the pressure is so high that it usually soaks my feet when I turn the tap on first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly more than usual BtoB. There was pipe repair work being carried out a couple of months ago but I assumed it had been finished. Maybe it hasn't and that's something to do with it. I'll ask Mr A if he knows, next time he rings.

      Delete
  4. Oh....... that holiday went quickly and you are back already.
    Yes, the *drought* in England is hard to believe with all this rain. My last post is about the same thing.
    As regards the ticks..... I don't know. We have been warned about the possibility of Limes disease spread by tick bites, over here (in certain areas) so it is essential not to get them on your body.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am concerned about Limes disease Maggie. I'm being very vigilant x

      Delete
  5. Sorry your return home has meant dealing with all these annoyances, Ayak, and I hope a storm will clear the air for her. I've just had fun explaining to my darling mother-in-law why the recent rain won't mean the end of the hosepipe ban in her area. Apparently the shortage in aquifers and reservoirs is so bad after 2 very dry winters that it would take months of this kind of rain to get them back to where they should be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can see the problem Perpetua. Although I understand there are lots of leaks that should be repaired too..that would improve things I'm sure.

      Delete
  6. The rainy season has come early, which means that the thunderstorms have come early as well, so I have to try to remember to do anything necessary on the internet before they start and I have to shut down the computer.
    I'll be in the routine in a bit....I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate having to unplug everything at the first sign of storms Fly. Although I'm sure you get it worse than we do. We just have to adapt to all these differences when we emigrate don't we?

      Delete
  7. and yet I find I take things for granted all the time. especially water...someday I'm going to turn on a tap and there's going to be "0" coming out! around me there are communities that have laws about watering! I don't believe that's happened YET in Palm Harbor (I certainly haven't gotten the word)...I hope we'll have lots of rain this summer like last summer...highly unlikely to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all too easy to take things like water for granted Theanne. I am pretty used to turning on the tap and getting nothing out. I always make sure I fill up empty containers when I have water to make sure I can at least have a cup of coffee...something I can't do without!

      Delete
  8. I guess I take things for granted too much...we have never had the water turned off before for anything that I can remember. But happy you are safe and sound at home. When I first went to Turkey about 26 years ago...I didn't know that some places don't have hot water running in their taps...so I stood there like a space cadet till my husband said they have no hot running water. At that time it was a shocker for me...hope your doggy's are better with them 'ticks'...poor things.
    ....you sure lead a life with never a dull moment. Hope you have a quiet and restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's be no hot water for us Erica, if we didn't have our solar panels, and after the first winter in this village showering in lukewarm water, we had an electric shower installed, and boiled kettles to do washing up.

      The ticks are still around but the preventative measures I've taken with the dogs means that they drop off rather than become attached which is an improvement. Mr A came home last night and put insectiside around the garden so I hope that might help.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x