Thursday, 31 May 2012

Beki...update

Well it's not very good news  I'm afraid.  It seems that Beki has ovarian cancer.

She had a tumour the size of a tennis ball in one of her ovaries.  Mehmet has done a full hysterectomy and removed both ovaries. 

Mr A waited with her when she had the anaesthetic this morning and Mehmet has been phoning him every hour with updates, and Mr A then phones me.

It seems that the operation went well and Mehmet says he cannot see any signs that the cancer has spread.  Of course this is something that will remain uncertain, but we are trying to be optimistic.

The latest update half an hour ago was that Beki had come round from the anaesthetic and seems OK so far.  Mehmet is monitoring her closely and is reluctant to discharge her until he is confident that she is recovering well.  So she may have to stay there tonight.

We'll know more later and I'll keep you posted.

I'm not religious as you know, but I am so grateful to have found Mehmet.  I know it would have been difficult, if not impossible, to find another Turkish vet prepared to perform this operation on a dog.  Most of them don't consider dogs worth the trouble.  So in my own peculiar non-religious way, I am thanking something (I'm not sure what) for making this wonderful vet appear in our lives just when we needed him most.

12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry it has turned out to be serious.I hope it all goes well for Beki now Ayak. This vet sounds like a find in a million. Thinking of you. J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janice. Fingers still firmly crossed xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a worry for you....poor Beki...but at least your vet thinks he has found and dealt with the problem - and keeps in touch.
    Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fly. I shall be glad to have her home xx

      Delete
  4. Oh Ayak, I know just what you mean. I don't know what it is -- karma, fate, people call it lots of different things -- but whatever it is, I'm so glad you have the vet in your life. Poor Beki. I'll think good thoughts for her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. Yes I am a bit of a fatalist and I do believe in karma..maybe that explains it. Anyway whatever it is we are so pleased to have this vet xx

      Delete
  5. I will say a prayer for Beki! Sorry she is sick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending get-well wishes to Beki. I hope she will be home with you soon-- and karmic blessings to your vet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good thoughts for Beki and her vet...you were very fortunate to have found him...hope all continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...I know what you mean. I guess it was meant that you found the Vet....I do believe in Karma though. Poor sweet Beki, I'm sure she will be okay if the Vet said it looks like it didn't spread. Comparing myself to Beki I had Ovarian Cancer and that was 18 years ago and they said it didn't spread. :-)
    I'll be thinking good thoughts and take care....Beki is in good hands and will be in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou all of you for your comments and good wishes. It means a great deal to me and is very reassuring. I'm about to do another update post to let you know how things are going xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x