Pages

Friday, 25 May 2012

Gardening

I was just reading Perpetua's recent post where she mentions that she has three gardens that need to be kept under control.

I do envy her enthusiasm.  I'm in awe of all those people who get so much pleasure from gardening.  I wish some of it would rub off on me.  I used to regularly follow blogs that talked about self sufficiency.  People who grew enough food to live on.  I hoped that it would fire my enthusiasm.  It didn't.  Although I have the utmost admiration for those keen gardeners.

My late father loved gardening.  Not only did he enjoy tending his own garden, and an allotment, but would often be found helping others with their gardens.   When I grew up and had a garden of my own, my Dad would spend so much time trying to teach me the difference between flowers and weeds, what to plant and where.   None of it really sank in.  I seemed to be too busy with other things in my life.   He looked after all the gardens I had in England, up until he became too ill to do so.  I was very grateful for all his efforts because I always had a garden that was a pleasure to look at and to sit in.

He would have loved our garden here.  He would have enjoyed fighting the uphill battle with the weeds..one we don't ever seem to be able to win.

My beans appearing through the soil
Fortunately Mr A, having left aside his woodwork phase of the winter months, has developed a keen interest in the garden this year.  He is spending all of his free time before and after work, digging, weeding, planting and nurturing flowers and vegetables.  He has also tried to get me interested.  A couple of weeks ago he handed me a small bag of pinkish beans and asked me to plant them in the garden, giving me clear instructions on how to do so.

I didn't really follow his advice.  I dug out a couple of small trenches, and just threw in the beans and covered them up...rather than spacing them out as I had been instructed.  Surprisingly they are actually growing, and Mr A has now put in canes to support them.  You'd think that this would have created just a little bit of excitement in me wouldn't you?  Not a chance.

I physically can't do weeding and digging these days because of my arthritis.  But I don't really need an excuse because even when I feel guilty and try to do something useful in the garden, I get bored with it after half an hour.  I do have responsibilty  for watering though, because Mr A doesn't always have time to do this.  Mind you, according to FIL on a visit here last year, I don't water properly.  But then he would say that wouldn't he?

Am I odd?  Is there anyone else out there like me?  Am I the only one who would rather look at a garden than work in it?

18 comments:

  1. I love gardening but it's so much about time, energy, fitness and lack of any one of those and it costs too much money. My grandad used to do mine. I miss him lots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my Dad too KV, particularly when I look at well tended gardens.

      Delete
  2. I love the watering, dead heading, choosing plants etc. Not so keen on the digging and weeding. Think this means I need a gardener. Some hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even enjoy the dead heading and watering BtoB, or choosing plants so I think there's no hope for me.

      Delete
  3. My father too loved his garden and would take me out with him to 'help' from an early age, so I suppose that gave me the bug.

    My knees aren't what they used to be so weeding has to be done in shorter sessions, but I still love seeing something emerge from the soil.

    Mark you, I also love to sit in a comfortable chair admiring someone else's garden and the blogs with garden and plant photographs are a true pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess your Dad infected you with the gardening bug Fly, which is lovely. My Dad encouraged me from an early age too, but it had no effect on me. Both my brothers are keen gardeners too..so I'm clearly the black sheep.

      Delete
  4. I was never a gardener Ayak, until I had time to grow vegetables. In my first year of semi retirement I started with a small patch, and then as the self sufficiency bug caught hold in the town I lived in ... Todmorden in Yorkshire, I was hooked. "Incredible Edible Todmorden" became a very ambitious project, with local people growing stuff for anyone to come and pick and eat. Instead of rose bushes outside the Drs surgery, people planted rhubarb, and herbs, leeks, cabbages, and in the summer gorgeous lettuces, radishes and peppers are grown in street side planters. Now I just love planting things and seeing them come to life....and if they can be eaten, all the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been an interesting sight Janice. All those edible things growing where you would normally expect to see flowers. What a brilliant idea.
      I love to see things growing I must admit, but I have no inclination to assist them in any way.

      Delete
  5. My trouble is that I think I would really enjoy gardening - as long as I had someone to give me precise instructions and teach me stuff. But I'm a horrible black thumb. I'm just more interested in watching our cats play with the plants than in caring for the plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose absorbing all the knowledge about plants is quite important Deniz, something I have never managed to do. I honestly can't tell weeds from plants most of the time.

      Delete
  6. I love watching stuff grow though only in tubs or on my windowsills, cant be doing with hard gardening lol..... its bomb by the way here hope alls well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi greygirl (Bomb)... I can also manage tubs and pots and all the flowers we now have are planted in them so I'm taking responsibility for them..and that's where my contribution ends

      Alls well thanks..hope it is with you too.
      Just clicked on your name and noticed you have a new blog so popping over now to have a look xx

      Delete
  7. OH We are soooooo much alike in this. I like a garden/ both flowers and veggies..but I have NO interest in working in one. My husband on the other hand loves gardening. I could care less about any of it except I do water the flowers. I grew up on a farm working in three huge gardens and helping with all the canning and freezing of the produce...and that was enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte Ann. I can imagine all the hard work during your upbringing would be enough to put you off gardening for life. I must admit I do like using the produce from the garden. I've just made a huge batch of jam and chutney with apricots from our land down in the village.

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure enthusiasm is quite the right word to describe my gardening, Ayak. Desperation might be a better one, especially when faced with the struggle to find things (such as the gravel in our little patio) when the rain stops, the sun come out and the grass and weeds grow 6" in a week!

    My mother and her father were both skilful and passionate gardeners. I've inherited the yen, but sadly not the skill or the dedication needed to achieve the results I want. I blame blogging....:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes Perpetua, blogging can be blamed for all sorts of things that don't get done. At least it's a pretty good excuse in my case.

      I do wish I had an interest in gardening though as it does seem to bring a great deal of enjoyment to so many people.

      Delete
  9. I feel like you ...love the gardens with fresh veggies and beautiful flowers but hate doing the work. But my husband and I do have a big garden in the back with lots of flowers and plants. I usually grow herbs but yearly have these fights with Alvin...he's the backyard "Chipmunk" resident. Sometimes there are three of them and they munch on the herbs...then there is Rocky the Raccoon. The city I live in is known for being Raccoon City of North America.They just stomp over my flowers....:-( Then sometimes in the morning I like to water the garden but for some reason there's a fox or coyote hanging around.....I find it strange b/c I live in a large city and the subway stop is near. Where do these animals stay all day in a busy city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, one of the places where I used to live in England was in a fairly built up area but we had foxes in our garden at night. I used to come downstairs to watch them. I also wondered where they went to during the day.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x