Saturday, 26 May 2012

Not what it says on the tin

 Last Sunday afternoon I caught the bus over to Bodrum to meet up with Mr A when he finished work.  We visited Koçtaş, the Turkish version of B &Q, to buy some paint to decorate our bedroom.

I have not had good experiences with Turkish paint.  The colours are not as varied as those in the UK.  The Turks seem to like bright colours, or they just settle for good old whitewash.

Our house is whitewashed inside and out and it's frankly boring.  I had decided that I would like something different in the bedroom.  A very pale green or yellow.   The Turks don't do "pale".

In the past I have tried cheap paint and expensive paint.  There seems to be no difference, so I wandered up and down the paint aisle looking for some that was reasonably priced.   Above the shelves was a large board showing the colours.  I got quite excited when I spotted a pale green and Mr A called an assistant over to find me a tin.  "Are you sure it's the same colour as the chart, and the picture on the tin?" I asked.  He said it was but was happy to open it up for me to check.    It was BRİGHT green.   So we then pointed out a "pale" yellow.  He opened this tin and it was, as you may have guessed by now, BRİGHT yellow...so bright that the thought of waking up to it first thing in the morning made me feel quite dizzy.

So, rather than settle for plain old white, I picked out  "Vanilla".  This wasn't quite what I wanted but it would do.

Yesterday, I started painting.  Has anyone any idea what colour Vanilla should be?  Not pink, surely?  This "Vanilla" is pink.   I don't like pink.   I watered it down so that it became a paler pink.  OK I carried on painting, thinking that maybe the colour would look different once it was dry.   It does look better, but it still looks pink.

Mr A told me that the amount of paint we bought would be more than sufficient to paint the entire bedroom.  It wasn't.  I now have two walls painted in pink...sorry Vanilla...and two walls still whitewashed.  It's not a good look.

Back to the drawing board then.

16 comments:

  1. Costa Rica doesn't do pale either....but they do mix paint so Mr. Fly stands over the operative with the colour chart and says just put in a quarter of the colour.

    To which the reply comes...but you're paying to have all of it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can get paint mixed here too but I don't trust them to get it right. I'd rather mix it myself. And I think that's pretty much the sort of comment we would get here too.

      Delete
  2. I would have expected vanilla to be creamy coloured - not pink, Ayak. Pink is quite nice...? Maybe you will become accustomed in time. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I expected a creamy colour Annie. I'm not sure what to do now. I either get more of the same and paint the other two walls, or start again from scratch. Hmmm...still thinking about it.

      Delete
  3. I think mixing your own is the only way to be sure, Ayak. Pink vanilla - hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think so Perpetua. I was thinking of strawberry and vanilla icecream when I imagined what colour vanilla would be. I think I got strawberry.

      Delete
  4. Pink vanilla.....hmmm. If you don't care for the colour maybe you should repaint it.But it does sound like a subtle peaceful colour. Is Mr. A okay with pink on the walls? Maybe you should colour block the walls and use a darker colour on the wall where the head board goes......or maybe put up some nice pictures and frames on the wall. BRIGHT yellow, you might have to wear sunglasses when you go into the room.....eeks!
    Anyways good luck with your decision.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, Mr A thinks the colour is quite nice..but then he is Turkish and I swear they are mostly colour blind!

      I am kind of getting used to it now, and as I really don't relish the thought of repainting the two walls, I'll probably get some more of the same colour and complete the room. Perhaps I'll look for a better colour next year.

      Delete
  5. We too have found that colours can often be stronger than expected. Have compensated by buying paint that appears very pale on the colour card. Have generally had good experience with coverage and consistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omentide, I have in the past kept a spare tin of white emulsion so that I can tone down colours. I need to get some more I think.

      Delete
  6. Cant believe Vanilla is Pink hehehehehehehehe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink it most certainly is greygirl xx

      Delete
  7. Sorry hon...I laughed! I think perhaps mixing your own is the way to go :-D

    C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK to laugh Carol..better than crying. Yes I will be mixing my own in future xx

      Delete
  8. Oh dear...... I do actually like bright colours and I also like pink...... so maybe I ought to move to Turkey! Sorry I had to chuckle but I know its really frustrating to go to such a lot of work and not like the result.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie I also like bright colours but I wanted something pale for the bedroom. Anyway it's sort of growing on me!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x