Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Our new best friend....

...is Mehmet the vet.  I've mentioned him before.  I recently did a blog post about him and posted the link to his website on my sidebar.  He's the best vet we have ever encountered in Turkey.

Beki has been in season for what seems like forever.  I have been getting a bit concerned about her.  You may also recall that before I went to England, Mr A gave Beki a haircut.   It was the first time we had attempted this but her hair gets so thick during the summer that we thought this would be more comfortable for her.

Poppy has had several haircuts since we rescued her, and her hair grows back fairly quickly but it seems like Beki has reacted badly to her hair being cut.  It was fine at first, but gradually the skin on her back started to turn black, and was quite sore in places.   I've tried to keep her out of the sun as much as possible as I was sure this wasn't helping.

I spoke to Mehmet at the beginning of last week and he suggested dabbing it with iodine, which has helped a bit.  But Mr A spoke to him on Saturday and Mehmet said he would pop out to see us, but it would be late evening.

He came at around 10pm, having only just finished another long day at his surgery.   He says the skin can be treated, but it may be a long process, and hopefully the hair will grow back eventually.  He gave her an antibiotic injection, plus two further injections of other substances which should help.  He also put some cream on her back, and left me the remainder of the tube. 

As far as her long season is concerned, he examined her and says that everything appears OK, that this can happen with older female dogs, and just to be patient and give it a little more time.  If I am still concerned at any time, then he will look at it again.

He has suggested daily fish oil capsules for Beki, which I bought yesterday.

Just before Mehmet left, I asked him how much we owed him.  He replied "30lira for you".   This is just over £10.   This couldn't possibly be right.  It would probably only cover his petrol out here, let alone the cost of 3 injections.  Of course I queried it, but he insisted that this amount was absolutely fine because "You take good care of your dogs and that makes me happy". 

What a refreshing change to hear this from a vet in a country that generally has no concern for dogs.

What a lovely man.

18 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to find a vet you love?! I'm so happy for you. And for your wonderful dogs! Our vet charges me less for the street animals I bring him (not 30 TL but still less than I pay for my ev kediler) and the only way I can think to make it up to him is by bringing him brownies and chocolate chip cookies! He seems to appreciate the trade. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara..yes it certainly is. Mr A has invited him and his family for a barbeque when they can find time off from work. I will also bring him goodies from my trips to England. He's a keeper!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful man that vet is.
    I hope that Beki's skin heals up soon.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is Maggie. Thanks..it will take some time for the skin to improve but we're heading in the right direction.

      Delete
  3. Either the man has a crush on the dogs or you. He seems like a very good man though. Glad he is taking good care of your dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...most definitely the dogs Kelleyn!

      Delete
  4. Lovely chap!
    I'm glad he could help with Beki's skin problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skin looks awful at the moment Fly, but I feel reasured by the vet that it will improve in time

      Delete
  5. Poor Beki. Hope she gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just lovely! Thank you Ayak for sharing, good things happening like this make me feel happy after a not so happy day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noreen. Glad it made you happy...and I hope tomorrow will be a better day for you xx

      Delete
  7. You are indeed lucky in having such a lovely vet. Hope Beki is better soon - though it's good to know you have this excellent person to call on again if necessary, knowing that he appreciates your concern and care. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. He never seems to mind how many times we phone him for advice. He's always happy to help

      Delete
  8. Indeed, what a wonderful man. I think that Francis of Assisi must have a special liking for Mehmet. I know that Mehmet is probably a Muslim but Francis doesn't care about such minor matters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That man is a treasure to be cherished, Ayak. A good man who really cares about the animals he treats. I do hope Beki's back heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly rare to find a vet like him in this country Perpetua.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x