Pages

Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Sunday trip

Sunday isn't the best day for dolmuş travel.  The buses are less frequent, are usually packed with people visiting families, and seem to take twice as long to get to their destinations.

However, this Sunday, having been nowhere since I returned from England, I was anxious to get out of the house.

I decided to go over to Selçuk to visit Gwen (this is Gwen1 who looked after my dogs, not to be confused with Gwen2 who is married to Suleyman...I seem to have a number of friends called Gwen at the moment).

I left the house at 10.15 to pick up the dolmuş from the village at 10.30am to Milas. It was jam-packed with people.  Mostly teenagers  who I guess think that wandering around Milas for a couple of hours is more exciting than spending Sunday in this quiet village.  Turkish teenagers are so polite and considerate.  They don't rush for seats on the bus, they let adults go first.  They help the elderly on to the bus with their shopping. They're lovely...a credit to their parents and I believe, the result of discipline in schools..something sadly lacking in many other countries.  

I had a half hour wait in Milas for the bus to Soke.  This is the longest part of the journey, but a picturesque one, especially the drive through Bafa, with the sun shining on the lake.  But it's very uncomfortable on a dolmuş.  The last time I came this way was when I visited Gwen2 in Aydin, on a large bus

From Soke, I caught the bus to Kusadasi, then changed again for the bus to Selçuk, arriving at Gwen's home just after 2pm.

Gwen had cooked lunch for us, and we spent an enjoyable few hours sitting out on her balcony in the sunshine.

Thankfully, Mr A had decided to travel home on Sunday so he collected me at 6.30pm and we did the return journey by car, which took just less than 2 hours.

After an hour pottering around the garden in the dark, and drinking coffee, Mr A returned to Kusadasi as he had an early start on Monday morning.  I hardly see him these days, but it's probably just as well.  He's depressed, bad tempered and tired, so not particularly good company.

I'm still wondering when FIL and grandad will be coming.  I hate not knowing.  I'm seriously considering taking the dogs over to Selçuk and staying with Gwen while they are here.  I know it's the coward's way out,  but it's tempting.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such an enjoyable afternoon with Gwen, Ayak, despite the time it took to get there. Poor Mr A, no wonder he's tired and depressed. it must be hard working away from home and feeling that his job is never secure. It would be so much easier if he could find work closer to home. I sympathise about the forthcoming visit. How would grandfather feel if you weren't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know how he would feel Perpetua. I'm more concerned about mentioning it to Mr A. But I've been giving it very careful thought, and I really don't want to put myself in another awful situation with FIL. If Mr A were able to be here at the same time, it would be OK, but I'm not sure I can cope with it on my own.

      Delete
  2. Sunday is a good dolmuş day for us because of the Mumcular Market. Have to be an early bird though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday is a good day here BtoB, for the same reason.

      It doesn't help that there are so few buses from the village on Sunday.

      Delete
  3. Horrible situation for you....understanding why Mr. A is down in the dumps is one thing...living with it another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Fly. Living with it can be an absolute pain at times.

      Delete
  4. Positive thoughts are winging their way to you from me.... it sounds so stressful Ayak, and I really do sympathise, and wish I could help. You were sounding more positive through your responses to comments on your last post....I hope something hasn't happened to make things seem worse again. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jance. Nothing specific..just going through one of my regular bouts of depression. It won't last xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Ayak, don't put yourself through such stress! FIL has his issues, they are HIS not yours. You will have too much stress leading up to this visit and this is not good for your health! Life is short, make the most of each day, be happy and in good company whenever you can. Go to Gwen with your dogs and have yourself a rest. Tell Mr. A straight out that your are in a terrible state over this which is something not of your doing, and you just cannot take it! He loves you, he will be glad you told him and not kept it botteled up. Why should YOU be the one all the time who has to be degraded and ignored! You are not the first "Mrs. FIL".......he should appreciate his wonderful son and daughter-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right Noreen and I am still trying to decide whether to go to Gwen's with the dogs or to actually be brave and confident and refuse to be bullied. Part of me thinks that if I disappear when he's here, he will think he's won.

      I guess it would help if I actually knew when they were coming.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x