Pages

Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Unexpected things.

I had a real chuckle today.  I must say I needed it, as I've been slowly sinking into one of my regular depressions this past few days.

I was on the dolmuş coming back from Milas this morning.  As we left the town and were on the main road we were flagged down by a little old lady.  She must have been around 90 if she was a day.  She was typically Turkish dressed...shalwar, headscarf, etc. She had a tablecloth strapped to her back, containing whatever it was she was transporting from A to B, as do many Turkish village women, and she got on the dolmus with the help of her stick, which was once the branch of a tree by the looks of it.

She told the driver she wanted to get off at the top of the hill, just before we turn off the main road to the villages.

There were seven or eight other people on the bus.  A mobile phone started to ring. And this was what was unexpected...the old lady produced the phone from her shalwar pocket.  You just don't expect someone like her to have a mobile phone...totally out of character.

She put it to her ear...without pressing any keys....it continued to ring while she shouted "Mehmet"  into it.  Others on the bus told her to press the answer key.  She ignored them and carried on shouting to Mehmet until the phone stopped.  This happened again...twice...and each time everyone on the bus was shouting at her to press the answer key. But she just ignored them and carried on shouting.

She then passed the phone to a woman sitting behind me and asked her to ring Mehmet.  The woman couldn't find the number, and passed the phone to another passenger, who also couldn't find the number, and the phone continued to be passed around the bus, and then back to the old woman.

She put the phone to her ear, without pressing any keys and proceeded to shout "Mehmet" into it.

We reached the top of the hill.  The bus stopped for the old lady to get off.  We all watched as she walked away from the bus, still happily shouting "Mehmet" into the phone, at which point everyone, including me, burst into laughter.

I wonder who Mehmet is?  Maybe he gave her the phone but forgot to show her how to use it.  Or perhaps he did, and she refused to listen to him, like she refused to listen to everyone on the bus.



20 comments:

  1. Classic - wish I'd been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so funny BtoB :-))

      Delete
  2. ....hehehe this is tooooo funny. I have to tell my husband this, he will get a good chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he will Erica. He'll know just why we found it so funny x

      Delete
  3. Indomitable, these old ladies...just think that'll be us one day, so let's hope there's a Mehmet to sort us out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Fly. I love the way the elderly are allowed to be eccentric. It's great..they can do as they like and never have to apologise for being a bit scatty.

      Delete
  4. I'm like that now and I work in telecoms administrating our mobile phone contract!! Hahahaha when I got my phone upgraded I didn't know how to answer it until I realised I had to tap the green phone and slide it across the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Carol..I'm afraid there's just no hope for you ;-)

      Delete
  5. So sorry about your not feeling up to it slowly.....and setting into depression. Hope you feel better, your cute Grandkids would pick me up..... sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica..thinking of them certainly helps xx

      Delete
  6. hahahahaahaha good one Ayak xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it - lovely story, love the way you tell it. Had me chuckling too. Hope that chuckly feeling lasts for you. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. It's always these unexpected incidents that make you laugh. I need a few more of them!

      Delete
  8. My dad is only 72 and doesn't know how to work his cell phone despite us showing him many times. I agree pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not particularly good with them myself Kelleyn. I can make and answer calls and text messages and thats about it!

      Delete
  9. Mobile phones and I don't get on well together, so I feel for your old lady here, Ayak. hope the thought of her continues to cheer you up. Pxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm pretty useless with them too Perpetua. I wouldn't have laughed if she hadn't also been laughing. I rather think she was enjoying all the attention!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x