Monday, 4 June 2012

And the start of another week

Is it me?  Or do Mondays come around very quickly?  I guess it's a sign of getting older....time rushes by far too fast.

I haven't really done a great deal this past week.  I've been pretty much preoccupied with Beki, and nursing her back to health.

We had a bit of a scare yesterday.  When I got up at 7am, Beki stood up from her bed and blood was dripping from her incision.  Quite a lot really.  Mr A phoned Mehmet, who wasn't at all annoyed at being disturbed at 7am on a Sunday.  He suggested padding with a clean towel and some crushed ice, and said that he would get out to the village as soon as he could.

He arrived around lunchtime and when he removed the padding the wound continued to bleed.  He assured me that it wasn't fresh blood so he didn't think it necessary to open her up again.  He also explained that Beki did in fact lose an awful lot of blood during the operation and at one point he was very worried that he would lose her.  It would seem that her blood doesn't clot as well as it should do.  He had given her drugs to help with this, and gave another injection yesterday, plus another antibiotic shot.  He then padded and bandaged her very firmly and advised leaving this on for 3 days.

If in the meantime there was any significant change in her, then he would come out again.   She is still drowsy but that is to be expected, and she isn't eating an awful lot.  I'm actually hand feeding her bits of chicken which seems the best way to get her to eat.   But she is still barking at cats, chickens and sheep so I see this as encouraging.

Mr A will take her to Mehmet's surgery on Wednesday morning to have the dressing removed and we will see how it goes from there.  Not much more we can do at the moment.

I am going a bit stir crazy being stuck at home.  I don't feel happy about going out at the moment, even just to pop into Milas..not until I feel confident about leaving Beki.

I have however just booked my flight tickets online for a 10 day trip to see my daughter and grandsons in September, so that has given me something to look forward to.

Billy has just come down with chickenpox and no doubt Jimi will follow suit in due course.  Better to get these things out of the way at their age.  No doubt my daughter will also be going stir crazy for the next couple of weeks!

I hope those of you in the UK are not letting the gloomy weather spoil your bank holiday and are managing to have a good time.

14 comments:

  1. Mondays...it's worse than being at work the speed at which they arrive!
    I hope all goes well for Beki...did she overdo things...even the barking might be a strain, though how you stop a dog barking I do not know.
    Still the drugs to help clotting should help.
    Fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wondered whether the barking might have made things worse Fly. Although she hasn't barked much today. She seems very depressed.

      Delete
  2. Poor Beki and poor you. It seems we still need to keep fingers crossed. Hope the kids aren't too out of sorts with the chicken pox, sometimes it hardly causes them to stop running around...and sometimes makes them feel rough, so I hope its the first kind ! Good to hear about the September trip. Any news of FiL's impending visit yet ? J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm looking forward to September Janice...and the latest on the impending visit is that they may not come until after the summer...yay!

      Delete
  3. Poor Beki, hope she shows good signs of improvement by Wednesday - which will, I can assure you, come around very quickly. I too have no idea where the days go! But don't wish your time away, even if you have booked a trip to see your lovely grandchildren, will you? It will come soon enough. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie I rarely wish my time away these days..it goes far too quickly anyway!

      Delete
  4. Hang in there! Hopefully Beki will perk up in the next day or two and you can be confident that she is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou skyfighter. I really hope so xx

      Delete
  5. Poor sweet Beki and you for worrying yourself about her and being cooped up. When you said she was barking I thought to myself I hope she doesn't rip her stitches.
    Happy you booked a trip back home for a visit....sorry about the chicken pox.....better they get it now then when they are bigger. That's what a Dr. told me before, not sure why?
    Well hang in there and I'm very confident that Beki will get better soon....especially with Poppy keeping her company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica. There's not much I can do for Beki at the moment. It's a case of waiting and hoping for the best.

      In my experience chickenpox seems to affect adults much worse so I guess that's why it's best to get it out of the way in childhood.

      Have a good day xx

      Delete
  6. Poor Beki. She has had a rough deal lately. I hope she will pick up again really fast. I would be the same wanting to be with her. You don't think your other dog has been licking her or nuzzling the wound?

    We've had a lovely Jubilee holiday but the wet weather must have spoilt it for the many people who had to stand for hours in London waiting to see the Queen.

    Chicken pox is best to have as small children.
    My own two were very ill as teenagers and took a long time to get over it.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. Yes chickenpox can be awful if you get it in adulthood. I remember my ex-husband having it and he was really ill.

      No, Poppy hasn't touched Beki's wound. Actually Beki won't let her come anywhere near her at the moment which is rather sad to watch as they usually cuddle up together.

      Delete
  7. Hope everyone feels better soon! Sending {{hugs}}
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x