Pages

Monday, 18 June 2012

Do you believe in angels?

If you had asked me that question a while ago I suppose my answer would have been No.  I mean don't you have to be religious to believe in angels?  BUT I now believe there are people who are put on this earth for a purpose.  Karen Wren is one such person.  In my eyes, and in the eyes of many others she is indeed an angel.

For the past 10 years she has made it her life's work to rescue the street dogs in Turkey.  Her dream was to build a shelter, rescue dogs and rehome them.  This she has achieved in no small measure and many of her rescues are now in loving homes in the UK, Europe and the US.

All this takes an enormous amount of time, effort and total dedication, and Karen gives this in bucketloads.

This past week I discovered a very malnourished puppy in the village.  He has mange, probably worms and fleas and he is completely alone.  I attempted to feed him and he ran away.  Gradually I gained his confidence and managed to get him to eat yesterday and today.

Much as I would love to take him in, with Beki's fragile state at the moment, it is impossible.  So this morning I phoned Karen for help.

As usual, she takes everything in her stride.  She organised the hiring of a car (she has no transport and this is what she has to do to enable her to carry out her work), and travelled to our village...a round trip of some 200km, to rescue this puppy.  She said it had to happen straight away as mange will damage his immune system if it's left too long.   She will keep him in her own apartment until the mange has been treated and he has been vaccinated, before moving him to the shelter.  She will never risk the spread of infection or disease to the other dogs there. 

This is Tommy. Safe at last and now he has a future.
This is what Karen does...over and over again.

I did a post this week about a competition to win 5,000 dollars to purchase a vehicle for TAG and I asked if you would take time to vote.  Renting cars, paying for petrol, takes money.  This comes from donations...and more often than not from Karen's own pocket.

T.A.G relies solely on donations, and fundraising.  To win this competition would be wonderful.  We are currently in first place, but voting doesn't finish until the end of June, so we can't rest on our laurels.  We need many more votes.  I know some of my followers have already voted and I'm so grateful.  Those who haven't would you please do this huge favour for me and the dogs of Turkey?  It only takes a couple of minutes.  Click on the link below...vote...then wait for the confirmation email which you then have to click to confirm for your vote to be counted.  (Please check your junk mail box for this email as that's where mine ended up)

http://sunsuperdreams.com.au/dream/view/t-a-g-turkish-animal-group

If you ever want to do more to help in the way of donating, sponsoring or adopting, then go to the TAG website...you'll find the link on my sidebar.  Or visit the Turkish Animal Group (TAG) on Facebook.

Thankyou so much xx

 

13 comments:

  1. So between you you have saved this poor little chap from a miserable life...not forgetting Mehmet's help too.
    Have voted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He now has a future Fly, or he would undoubtedly have died, sick and lonely on the streets.
      Having read your comment on my other post, of course I will disregard your comment about Mehmet here xxxx

      Delete
  2. Belay that comment re your vet...I've just found your earlier post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I voted and asked my Friends on Facebook also.....hope Beki is getting better.(((HUGS))).
    So kind of you to look after Tommy and Karen from TAG come to get him. There still are some good caring "ANGELS" out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly are Erica. And thankyou so much for voting and spreading the word xxx

      Delete
  4. yes Karen is an angel. I have been her friend since June 2011 and she works so hard. If anyone says to her after a hard day "Karen go and get some rest", her usual answer is "I will soon". She has dedicated her life to saving animals and I admire her, she is a wonderful person and a great friend. Thank you Linda for writing such a lovely post about her. Watch this space to see how Karen will transform Tommy into a handsome dog that you wont recognise. Linda T xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I truly believe Karen will totally transform Tommy, Linda. Haven't we seen so many of her before and after photos? She is a wonderful person and totally loyal to her friends. We're lucky to know her xxxxx

      Delete
  5. There is somehting magical about Karen. I've seen it many times- transforming dogs in days!!I left a cat at the vets , who had to have a hysterectomy and Karen took her on for me- sending her home last May- but the stitches burst and Karen went straight back to the vet and demanded she be put right while she stood by waiting. I think we would have lost Ruby without Karen so I have a lot to thank her for.
    Well done with all your online work for TAG , LInda.You are a wonderful supporter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth: Whatever we all do to help seems little in comparison with what Karen does. But we know she appreciates it and we are certainly happy to help xx

      Delete
  6. She is indeed an angel and what a wonderful cause, I will get into the voting too, well done her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Ozlem..and please spread the word. The more votes we can get, the more chance we have of helping so many more dogs xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh that poor little puppy who is so thin, but looks so contented to be looked after & fed.

    Hope Bekki is holding her own.
    Yes Ido believe in angels.

    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is one of the lucky ones Maggie. There a so many more out there who need rescuing. We need as many people to share the link to vote as possible, to enable this work to be done. xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x