Saturday, 23 June 2012

Guest Posts and Advertising

This is a modified version of a post which I published yesterday.  I wrote it when I still had hope for Beki, so deleted it when I got the bad news.

I have had guest posts on my blog from time to time and it's been a pleasure to read a little about other
bloggers, and I think my followers have enjoyed them.

You may well have noticed that I have links on my sidebar.  One is a property company in Turkey. The other is a link about hotels in Seville.

I have been approached many times by companies wishing to advertise on my blog.  Of course it's tempting.  Most of us could do with some extra cash.  But I have turned most of them down.  They just don't fit with me.

I don't want my blog to become one that's full of "in your face" ads.  I don't like other blogs that have gone that way.  So when Destinia approached me earlier this year and offered a monthly fee for placing a small link on my sidebar about hotels in Seville, I looked at their website and I liked what I saw.   You may wonder why I would have a link about Seville on my blog about my life in Turkey, To be honest, it's somewhere I'd love to visit, so it sparked my interest, and I thought "why not?"

This past week, Marina at Destinia approached me with a view to doing a short guest post on my blog, for which I will be paid.  I gave it some consideration and felt that it would be interesting so I said yes.

Marina, like many of you, has been following Beki's story.  It isn't just about advertising with her.

The frustration I felt over the past few weeks about having no control in my life, made me realise that there is still one thing I can control.  My blog.  No-one can take that away from me.  I'm earning a small amount of money each month, by allowing a couple of discreet links to be placed on my blog.  I've had a lot of expense recently, so every little helps.

So from time to time I will publish a guest post, whether it's paid for or not, but only if I feel it will be interesting to my readers.

If any of you want to do a guest post, or maybe promote your website on my blog, let me know and I will give it careful consideration.

Marina's post will be arriving next week.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  I hope you will also enjoy it.



8 comments:

  1. I'd love to go to Seville...!

    How nice that Marina was following your blog and was concerned for Beki...it's not just commercial, is it!

    Yes, keep control where you can...it is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to go there too Fly. Maybe one day.

    Yes I want to regain control, to prevent my having to go through anything like this again. It's hard being here alone with Poppy at the moment so I'm trying to focus on other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Seville a few years ago....wonderful city, and I would love to go back. I love the idea that despite the hurt and distress all this has brought you, being in control of your blog is helping. Hugs to you and Poppy. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. I am still hurting so much but this is a distraction and it does help a little. xxx

      Delete
  4. I agree with you 100%. A few well chosen ads are fine, but I hate the blogs that have adds popping up left right and centre .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BtoB, I think all those pop-up ads actually distract from reading the blog. I feel that a couple of links on a sidebar and the odd guest post actually gives the reader a choice. If they don't want to click a link or read a post, they can just ignore it.

      Delete
  5. this is your blog...I look forward to reading whatever you post!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x