Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Poppy and Tortoises

Every year we have a family of tortoises in our garden.  I do believe it's the same family and it's more than likely that they hibernate either in the old house in the garden, or in gaps in the dry stone wall at the back of the house.

At this time of the year we see some that are clearly a couple of years old, also the mother, and usually some new offspring.   I find them all over the garden and do pick them up from time to time and move them to the same part of the garden.  An area which is relatively flat. This is because there are different levels in the garden and it's awful for a tortoise fall and end up on it's back when there's no-one around to help him on his feet.

Poppy has always been interested in the tiny babies.  Last year she started picking them up in her mouth and bringing them to show me.  Once she actually got into the house with one without me seeing, and deposited it on my bed.

She doesn't harm them or try to play with them.  She picks them up very gently and puts them down the right way up, then just sits and watches them.  Fascinating as this clearly is for Poppy, it's probably not much fun for the tortoises.   So today I've retrieved three babies from Poppy and taken them back to their family at the top end of the garden.

Ah well...it keeps me (and Poppy)  occupied!

10 comments:

  1. They would be worth a fortune in England and there Poppy goes, bringing them in like bits of rubbish! Bless her. I'd love a family of tortoises in my garden though that would be most unlikely.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are very rare in the UK now Maggie. I love them and was delighted to see them scuttling around the garden this week. They clearly don't mind the attention they get from Poppy because they keep coming back for more!

      Delete
  2. Film this and it could rival One Man and His Dog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha..it ceertainly could Fly.

      I wanted to take some photos but my camera's out of action and in any case I can't seem to upload photos anymore. Another pc techy problem that needs sorting (groan).

      Delete
    2. Why is there always something!

      Delete
    3. Oh I don't know Fly. It's probably something very simple to resolve but no point in me trying!

      Delete
  3. This was a cute post.....about Poppy and the Tortoises. I've never seen any here in our gardens. I can just imagine sweet Poppy lugging them lil' things around.
    When they visit us here from Turkey they freak out at squirrels...well I think I would freak out at the Tortoises.
    Well at least this keeps you and Poppy doing something.

    Hope all is well and I'll be thinking about you with special blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Erica. I think Poppy has been a bit lost and confused without Beki, so at least the tortoises have given her something else to keep her amused xx

      Delete
  4. I remember being able to buy tortoises from a local pet shop in north London, they were 2/6d each. I pleaded with my mother to have one. Now, of course, they can only be imported with special licences, and people who have them consider them to be exotic and luxurious creatures. I'm sure I remember a friend whose dad drilled a hole through the back of one's shell, and tied a piece of string to it, to tie it up, so it wouldn't wander. I'm sure they are happier, not being imported to the English climate, even if it might mean being carried around by Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice it's funny thinking of them as exotic pets isn't it? I also had one when I was a child. I too recall people drilling holes in their shellls which I'm sure would be considered extremely cruel these days. Mine was called Timothy and I painted the letter "T" on his shell with my mother's pink nail polish...not so cruel!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x