Thursday, 14 June 2012
We can only do our best...
It's been one of those weeks.
Mr A left his job at the hotel hamam in Torba on Monday. As usual the boss (like the majority of bosses in the tourist industry) moved the goalposts. Mr A was working on commission only. He was the only person selling the hamam experience to hotel customers. However, the boss decided to bring in a friend of his to work alongside Mr A, also on the same percentage commission. But it just means that the potential earnings for Mr A and this other man are halved. It's just not enough to live on. The boss doesn't care. He's shortsighted and greedy. He just wants money in his pocket and doesn't care about whether the staff he employs can earn enough to survive.
Mr A decided he wasn't prepared to accept this. The other man also had second thoughts. They both walked. So now the boss has no-one to sell for him...serves him bloody well right!
On Monday evening Mr A spoke to the boss at the carpet shop in Kusadasi where he previously worked and got his job back. It was easy because he left on good terms. They understood that he wasn't particularly happy about working away from home, but they had told him that there would always be a job for him if he changed his mind.
So on Tuesday he set off for Kusadasi. It's not ideal for us but he has to earn money, so I have to put up with it.
I've had such a struggle with Beki this past week since she spent 3 hours on a drip at the vet clinic last Friday. She seemed to pick up for a couple of days, but wouldn't eat and I was having to force feed her. This has continued but over the past few days she has vomited back everything I've managed to get into her. And even when she's empty, she still vomits. I was up with her all last night and I wept at how sad she was. It's unbearable to watch.
Mehmet the vet came out this morning. We had considered setting up another drip here at home, but it's not very easy for me to do on my own. We had a long chat and he is concerned that she may have tumours in her stomach or elsewhere. I don't want to be faced with "the awful decision" but I don't want her to be cut about anymore, and I don't want her to suffer.
Mehmet decided that the best thing to do would be to take her into the clinic for a couple of days, to try to get to the bottom of all this, so I reluctantly let her go with him. I miss her dreadfully, but I am also relieved, because I have been doing my best to make her well, but it's just not enough. If there is any chance of her making a full recovery, Mehmet is the person to do it.
Latest report is that she has been on a drip again, he is getting some food and milk into her, and that he will carry out further tests, and try different drugs.
To change the subject, and to try to end this post on a lighter note. The weather here is glorious. Everything in the garden is shooting up....including the beans which I haphazardly "planted". They are getting so tall that I could almost re-enact "Jack and the Beanstalk".
It's a great country to live in...and I can only do my best to enjoy it.
Check out PropertyTurkeyforSale.com