Thursday, 14 June 2012

We can only do our best...

....and sometimes that's enough...sometimes not.

It's been one of those weeks.  

Mr A left his job at the hotel hamam in Torba on Monday.  As usual the boss (like the majority of bosses in the tourist industry) moved the goalposts.   Mr A was working on commission only.  He was the only person selling the hamam experience to hotel customers.  However, the boss decided to bring in a friend of his to work alongside Mr A, also on the same percentage commission.   But it just means that the potential earnings for Mr A and this other man are halved.   It's just not enough to live on.  The boss doesn't care.  He's shortsighted and greedy.  He just wants money in his pocket and doesn't care about whether the staff he employs can earn enough to survive.

Mr A decided he wasn't prepared to accept this.  The other man also had second thoughts.  They both walked.  So now the boss has no-one to sell for him...serves him bloody well right!

On Monday evening Mr A spoke to the boss at the carpet shop in Kusadasi where he previously worked and got his job back.   It was easy because he left on good terms.  They understood that he wasn't particularly happy about working away from home, but they had told him that there would always be a job for him if he changed his mind.

So on Tuesday he set off for Kusadasi.  It's not ideal for us but he has to earn money, so I have to put up with it.

I've had such a struggle with Beki this past week since she spent 3 hours on a drip at the vet clinic last Friday.  She seemed to pick up for a couple of days, but wouldn't eat and I was having to force feed her.  This has continued but over the past few days she has vomited back everything I've managed to get into her.  And even when she's empty, she still vomits.   I was up with her all last night and I wept at how sad she was.  It's unbearable to watch.

Mehmet the vet came out this morning.  We had considered setting up another drip here at home, but it's not very easy for me to do on my own.  We had a long chat and he is concerned that she may have tumours in her stomach or elsewhere.  I don't want to be faced with "the awful decision" but I don't want her to be cut about anymore, and I don't want her to suffer.

Mehmet decided that the best thing to do would be to take her into the clinic for a couple of days, to try to get to the bottom of all this, so I reluctantly let her go with him.  I miss her dreadfully, but I am also relieved, because I have been doing my best to make her well, but it's just not enough.  If there is any chance of her making a full recovery, Mehmet is the person to do it.

Latest report is that she has been on a drip again, he is getting some food and milk into her, and that he will carry out further tests, and try different drugs.

To change the subject, and to try to end this post on a lighter note.  The weather here is glorious.  Everything in the garden is shooting up....including the beans which I haphazardly "planted".  They are getting so tall that I could almost re-enact "Jack and the Beanstalk".

It's a great country to live in...and I can only do my best to enjoy it.

.........................................................

Check out PropertyTurkeyforSale.com

20 comments:

  1. I love your positive take on everyhting today Ayak....when things are clearly not all easy....congratulations on your positive spirit. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janice....the sunshine helps! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for Beki....glad she's keeping things down now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fly. It's often easier for someone else to force feed our dogs than for us. xxx

      Delete
  4. Hope things are better this time around in Kusadasi. We heard there were three cruiseships in yesterday (only saw one when we were there today) so hoping business is brisk in the carpet shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes omentide, he has been very busy since he got there.

      Delete
  5. So much happening again. Poor Beki

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Beki rallies. Can't be easy for her in this heat. At least she will get emogh fluids on the drip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right BtoB. It's the worst time of year to be ill.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear of the problems that have beset you both and also Beki. You are the most positive person I know. You are an example to everyone and I do hope that everything will come out well for you all..
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such kind words Maggie....thankyou xxxx

      Delete
  8. I hope Beki recovers, I've been following your blog for a while and I can tell how important she is to you. Fingers crossed.
    I was sorry to hear that Mr Ayak's job didn't work out. Maybe this is bad of me but I was also rather pleased his boss was left in the lurch. I do hope he learns from that experience.
    It's amazing how some employers seem to put no value on their staff and then end up struggling because they have lost all their good people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. almostlegalalien...a warm welcome to my blog and thankyou for your good wishes for Beki...it all helps! It's not bad of you at all to be pleased Mr A's boss was left in the lurch. I feel exactly the same. I've seen this kind of thing happen to Mr A and many others so many times. The boss got what he deserved. So hopefully will other bosses who do the same. I believe in karma!

      Delete
  9. I hope Beki recovers soon. Poor thing. Poor YOU. and I hope that Mr. A finds work closer to you soon as well. Honestly, you have such strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't always feel like I have strength Cross the Pond. You just have to keep going don't you?

      Delete
  10. Very glad that Mr A's boss got his comeupance, serves him right! And it is great that Mr A had another job to go straight into even if it is not near to home.
    My thoughts go out to you about Beki. You have done everything you can and more and she is in the best hands possible. I know what a heart-wrench it must be for you, am sending positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Vicky. I need all the positive thoughts I can get at the moment xx

      Delete
  11. Picking through life's problems and finding the best of it seems to be your forte, Ayak. It's not been easy recently - I do hope Mr A is more settled nearer home and the Beki responds well to the wonderful Mehmet. Fingers crossed. Keep watching those beans grow! Axxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x