Pages

Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Dogs

Oh no...you're thinking...she's not doing another post about dogs!   Well I did say that I couldn't find much to write about at the moment.  And you know how much I love dogs so I'll always find something to say about them.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Poppy was suffering from sleep incontinence.  She had one or two accidents after she was spayed last October, but as it didn't happen often, I didn't place too much importance on it.  However it seemed to get much worse when Beki was ill and my time was taken up looking after her.  Poppy didn't have much of my attention then and I now think that this affected her and maybe the problem was mostly psychological.   Those of you who don't have dogs may think this is crazy, but those of you who are very much dog people, will definitely know what I mean.

Mehmet the vet prescribed some tablets for Poppy, which she took for 10 days.  She actually stopped wetting in her sleep the day before she started on the tablets, and hasn't had one accident since, and she's been off medication for over a week now.

With the temperatures up in the mid 40s at the moment, Poppy was in desperate need of a haircut, so yesterday we took her to the clinic and Mehmet trimmed her...or rather shaved her.  It's very short, but neat and tidy and she's so much happier.  He also cut her nails, and emptied her anal glands (not a pleasant task but essential for some dogs).   She was shampood and frontlined and we bought her a very smart new collar.  I'd love to show you before and after photos but I can't upload them at the moment.

I made a decision not to take in any more dogs, but it doesn't stop me looking out for the dogs in the village.  I leave containers of fresh water outside our gate every day, and have posted on our village Facebook page for the villagers to do the same.  I'm not sure they will take much notice, but one or two men have responded by re-posting my advice.

The women just down the hill from us who pass our gate every day with their sheep, have a dog outside their house.  I had a go at them a few weeks ago because the poor animal was tied up on a short chain with no water.  I took him food and a container of water, which I asked them to refill every day.   I tried to explain that the chain was unnecessary, because if they regularly fed and watered him, he would not run away.   I took the chain off to prove the point, but the next day they had tied him up again.

So I got Mr A to have a word with them.  He's much more forceful than me.  They've finally got the message.  I had a spare tube of Frontline and worm tablets, so a few days ago Mr A went down and administered them to the dog.  His owners haven't named him, so we call him Sammy.  Although we haven't adopted him, we will continue to feed him and make sure he is worm and flea free.

You may recall the emaciated, mange ridden pup that I found a while ago that we named Tommy.  My friend Karen who runs the TAG animal shelter hired a car to come over from Didim to rescue him.  The following day he was checked over by her vet, treated for fleas, ticks, and severe mange, vaccinated, etc, and had to be kept in  isolation until the mange had cleared up.  I am happy to report that he is doing well.  He's a cheeky little chap and it never fails to amaze me that in spite of the awful start in life that these dogs have, they still have character and nothing can crush their spirit.   I'm waiting for a photo of Tommy which I'll post up as soon as it arrives.

TAG recently entered a competition to win 5000 dollars to buy a much needed secondhand van to assist in their constant rescue of dogs, trips to vets, collection of food etc.  As you know TAG relies on donations, and the cost of renting cars to rescue dogs in distress is using precious funds that could be spent on food and vet fees.  Sadly we didn't win, and the fundraising efforts continue.

If you want to help by donating, sponsoring, adopting, or just by spreading the word, you will find the link on my sidebar, and also the chip-in for the vehicle fundraising...or visit the Turkish Animal Group (T.A.G) page on Facebook.

Also for Facebook users, TAG are trying to win £500 worth of dog food and treats, so you can help by going to this page https://www.facebook.com/viovet?ref=ts   and entering the following link in the comment box https://www.facebook.com/pages/Turkish-Animal-Group-TAG-Dog-Adoptables/193092287368884?bookmark_t=page   ...before the end of July please.

Thankyou xxx

14 comments:

  1. When I finally get back to Turkey and the heat abates, I'd like to visit TAG. I've got spare blankets they might be able to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be delighted with blankets BtoB. Maybe we can go over to the shelter together xxx

      Delete
    2. I was hoping you'd say that.

      Delete
    3. Good! Let me know when you're back. Would be good to get together for coffee too xx

      Delete
  2. Am sure some of Dex's problems are psychological too, mind I havent managed to sort it out yet lol. Poppy sounds as shes had a thorough going over I bet she is so much happier now. I wish your neighbours wouldnt tie the dog up it sounds awful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. greygirl I'm afraid it's a common problem here. Practically everyone who keeps a dog outside their house does it for security rather than having a pet, so they keep them chained up. So this one is at last free of his chain because we have kept on about it. One down...quite a lot more to go!

      Delete
  3. You have a heart of gold. I would get so upset living in a place where there is animal cruelty but even if the bit you do will make a difference to one or two dogs, then it is not in vain.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more ignorance than deliberate cruelty Maggie, and it takes an enormous effort to get the message across. My biggest problem is that if I make eye contact with a dog...any dog...I can't just walk away. You can imagine that with the scale of the street dog problem here, half the time I'm walking around with my eyes closed!
      I continue to stress that it's all about education. We need to work on the children here to change attitudes.

      Delete
  4. Lucky for the dogs in the village that you are so concerned, Ayak.
    Like Poppy, Darwin has been struggling a bit in the heat and he too has had a very close crop for the first time - we hardly recognise him but I'm sure he's much happier - I've never seen a dog with a thicker, curlier coat than him. Just hope it's grown enough for our chilly winters!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be concerned about Darwin's coat growing back Annie. I remember thinking the same thing when Poppy had her first haircut. But it grows back quite quickly and thicker than ever in plenty of time for winter. Just in case, Poppy has a woolly jumper on standby! Haha the things we do for our dogs!

      Delete
  5. I bet that's one happy dog, off his chain.
    Good for the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes one much happier dog Fly. There are so many more that aren't though, but it's impossible to help them all.

      Delete
  6. Facebook page for the villagers? How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Deniz. I was quite surprised when I stumbled across it!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x