Pages

Monday, 9 July 2012

Eating out in Bodrum

We don't eat out very often.  If we do, we tend to use the Turkish fast food establishments that serve pide (Turkish pizza) or kofte (meat balls) which are delicious and very good value for money, and only occasionally do we eat at restaurants, usually when recommended by friends.

On Friday my daughter and I did a day trip to Bodrum, and she had insisted on treating me to lunch for my birthday.  She wanted us to find a restaurant that overlooked the sea, where we could eat fish and drink wine for a leisurely couple of hours.

I've had a few bad experiences in the past when eating in restaurants in the busy tourist areas.  You need to be very careful because it's so easy to be ripped off by unscrupulous restaurant owners out to make a fast buck.

However,  it is possible to find restaurants that serve good quality food at reasonable prices.

Most restaurants will provide a set menu.  They don't always advertise the fact, because naturally they will earn more if you choose from the a la carte menu.  But ask and invariably they will be happy to give you a fixed price.  It's particularly useful if you want to eat fish, because this is sold by weight if you order a la carte, so a fixed price set menu is ideal.

Don't be afraid to ask the prices of everything before you order.  Much better than getting a nasty shock when the bill arrives.

We found a lovely restaurant in Bodrum called the Denizce.  It is situated in Cumhuriyet Caddesi.  The ground floor is very spacious and there are a fair number of tables overlooking the harbour and the castle.  There is also a further terrace upstairs with more beautiful views out to sea.

On request, the owner was happy to provide a set menu of sea bass, salad, rice and chips, and a beer or soft drink for 22 lira each.  We had a good selection of mezes to start with.  Far too much for the two of us, and this was just 15 lira for the plate.   We had a decent bottle of Doluca white wine at 29 lira.  So the total bill amounted to 88 lira.   The exchange rate on Friday was 2.82 lira to the £, therefore the total bill was less than £32.

The food was delicious and the service was excellent, and the restaurant and facilities were very clean.  I noticed that there were highchairs available, and also baby changing equipment in the spacious ladies toilet.   Those of you living  or holidaying in Turkey will know that it isn't always easy to find clean toilets, so this was a pleasant surprise.  They even provided disposable plastic seat covers for the toilets!

I was very impressed by the Denizce restaurant and thought it a good idea to use my blog to recommend it.  And no...I'm not being paid to advertise it...I'm just one very satisfied customer!

Have a look at the photos on their website HERE

18 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!
    That sounds a super place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Fly. It was super x

      Delete
  2. It sounds as if you had a great time, happy birthday, I hope you've both continued to enjoy yourselves. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. We had a lovely time. She returned home yesterday..I can't believe how quickly the week flew by. xx

      Delete
  3. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY"!!!!! Sending you lots of good wishes. ;-) Happy you had a good time with you daughter and a nice meal at a very nice restaurant, gorgeous views. The prices sure were good....and the food looks very appetizing. My favorite are the mezes...I can make a meal out of them.
    I can hear you about the bathrooms.....coming from NA it was a shock to me to see them washrooms with a hole in the ground for a seat...never seen them or heard about them.
    Glad you enjoyed your week.....take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Erica. We had a lovely week. We didn't do a great deal. Just lots of rest and relaxation which my daughter really needed. xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh, mezes...they look absolutely delicious. Glad you had a lovely meal, Ayak! Happy Birthday.Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. I love mezes too and they were delicious. xxx

      Delete
  5. Belated Happy Birthday. How lovely you & your daughter were able to share it together.
    That food looked mouth wateringly delicious.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou Maggie. It was delicious and all the more enjoyable being able to spend my birthday with my daughter xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday! lovely to get a good recommendation, and how wonderful that you enjoyed this nice meal with your daughter - look forward to the day that my daughter treats me too : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Ozlem. It really was a lovely treat xx

      Delete
  8. Happy belated birthday, Ayak-- I'm glad you had such a special day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for enlightening me about the fixed price menu question. That's really useful to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Rovingjay. It prevents a nasty shock when the bill arrives!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x