Pages

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Looking at things differently.

My daughter arrived on Sunday evening, not as much of a nervous wreck as I expected her to be, after attempting to conquer her fear of flying.  OK she didn't actually enjoy the journey, but she managed to get here!

We haven't done much yet.  Actually we may continue to do very little for the rest of the week.  She is exhausted and really needs sleep and relaxation.

I thought that she may be bored here, and had made a few plans for day trips.  But we've only managed Milas market for a couple of hours today, a pide for lunch, and wonderful coffee in a newly opened Lavazza cafe in the town.  Other than that, she is relaxing, reading and sleeping.

Having lived in this village for more than three years now, I seem to have taken if very much for granted.  I often moan about being isolated.  In fact I whinge  a bit too much  about my life here.

I was  very surprised when we arrived home with my daughter at the enthusiasm she had for our environment.  She said "Mum, I never imagined you lived in such a fantastic place".   It stopped me in my tracks.   I started to look around me again, almost with fresh eyes.  Yes it is fantastic.  The view from our house is to die for.  The people of the village are so friendly, welcoming and helpful.  My daughter hasn't visited me in Turkey for 11 years, and then it was when we lived in tourist areas.  This village is like nothing she has ever experienced before, and she loves it.  She definitely intends to return next year with my grandsons, because she knows they will love it too.

I am delighted by this.  My attitude has changed over the past couple of days.  I am at last very grateful for what I have here.

22 comments:

  1. That is wonderful news.
    Hope you both have a very happy time.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if this time together is exactly what you both needed. I hope the rest of her stay continues to be good. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Janice. yes exactly what we both needed xx

      Delete
  3. So nice that you are having such a good time together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How often someone else's eyes open our own!
    Have a super time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fly, and it's good when it happens. Thankyou xx

      Delete
  5. I don't think you "whinge" at all! I'm always impressed by how positive you are.
    So glad you are enjoying the time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou almostlegalalien. oh maybe I'm not so bad after all xxx

      Delete
  6. As an expat we were always told that if you were home sick, invite a friend out to see your world with new eyes. It's amazing what a difference it makes. We are now mixing France and England and seeing each with completely new eyes each time we cross the channel. Very interesting experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie I think you are absolutely right. It does seem to work xx

      Delete
  7. Glad you both are having a great time, its what you both obviously needed xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is greygirl...thankyou xxx

      Delete
  8. You certainly don't whinge, Ayak, and I think we've all enjoyed your lovely little village with you but it is true that it is lovely to see things through another's eyes - makes us appreciate what we have all over again. It's good that you can both enjoy your surroundings, recharge batteries and be together for a while. Have a great time. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. Our batteries are certainly being well and truly re-charged this week. xx

      Delete
  9. How super that she is so enthusiastic! Of course she is, it must be so very different to her usual environment. Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy to hear you two are having a wonderful time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy your daughter was able to visit you...looking at our environment through fresh eyes is a good thing! there are pros and cons to every country in the world...the friendliness and helpfulness of your neighbors is definitely a pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a great week Theanne and has passed far too quickly xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x