Pages

Sunday, 12 August 2012

Beating the heat

I'm still trying to get through my daily routines in this scorching heat, but it's not easy.  My body clock is now all over the place, due to nights when it's too hot to sleep which find me doing ironing and other chores which I can't face during daylight hours.

I can sometimes manage a couple of hours sleep around 3am when it's not quite so hot, but I'm up and about at 5.30am. I'll do cooking at this time, water the garden, sweep the balcony and driveway, or do some housework.  I then enjoy sitting on the balcony around 6.30am with a coffee.  But by 7.30am it's hot and I go back inside the house. 

During the mornings the sitting room is hot so I stay mostly in the bedroom with the ceiling fan on.  If I need a nap in the afternoon, I move to the sitting room and switch on the aircon for a couple of hours.  Two hours is as much as I can stand of the aircon before getting a headache.

After the fiasco on Tuesday when I attempted to get shopping in Milas, only to be left waiting for my return bus for two hours, I made another attempt yesterday.

This time I caught the bus to Milas at 8.40am.  There weren't any passengers to pick up on the way so the journey was faster than usual.  I got off the bus at the Carrefour supermarket on the outskirts of the town at 8.55am, to find that the supermarket was shut for staff training.  I therefore walked to the next supermarket, Migros, arriving at 9am.  Thanks to the aircon in the shop I was able to dash around and pick up my shopping and get through the check-out by 9.15am.  I crossed over the dual carriageway just in time to catch the bus to the village at 9.20am.  Back home by 9.55am, feeling quite satisfied that it worked out this time.

This weather is set to continue for weeks to come.  I hate it. I'd like to go out and about more, but the thought of standing around waiting for buses in this heat  makes me feel ill.    I can't wait for cooler weather and a return to a normal life.

17 comments:

  1. I haven't got used to the heat yet, so stayed in bed instead of heading out to the Sunday market. Feel very guilty now although at the mo, veg are cheaper in Diasa than the market. (Not as fresh of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't feel guilty about staying in bed BtoB. I do it quite a lot at the moment.

      I am buying as much as possible from the village shop but there are some things that I can only get in Milas unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm with you and your feelings on the heat....I don't tolerate it well either..but..I love the a/c in my house where I hide out from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte Ann. I wish the aircon didn't give me such bad headaches, or I would have it on all the time.

      Delete
  3. Heat like that just knocks you out....we had it for a couple of summers in France and we seriously wondered if it wasn't worse than the extreme cold of the accompanying winters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's much worse Fly. At least when it's cold you can wear extra clothes, and make use of electric blankets and heating.

      Delete
  4. Have you tried putting your underwear in the fridge? - As recommended by Mariyn Monroe in "Some Like it Hot" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no - wrong film - meant to say "Seven Year Itch".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tricia: Well "Some Like it Hot" would be more appropriate"! It's a good idea but because I'm not going out much I'm not even wearing underwear..just lounging about in a kaftan type dress or pjs.

      Delete
  6. omg couldnt cope with the heat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult greygirl. I see temps are up in the 20s in the UK at the moment...now that would be perfect for me.

      Delete
  7. I really feel for you. I haven't experienced such high temperatures in France yet, although it has been 37 most of this week, while I've been back in England. I hate to think what state my vegetables will be in, with probably only one watering session from a friend while I've been away. I'm back in France in a couple of days time, but the temperature is back down to about 30, so I'm hoping it stays that way. I think the answer must be...do nothing and refuse to feel guilty about it. Take care, Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your vegetables are OK Janice. They really need water every day in those temps. Oh I am doing very little and don't feel the least bit guilty :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh no...sorry to hear that is is so HOT still and the heat won't give up. I couldn't take it much that is why we travel there in spring or fall.
    I remember the very first time I went to Izmir in July and August and when I came out of the airport it hit me like a slap on the face the hot air......well I cried b/c I thought oh my God I have to put up with this for 2 months...eventually I coped and slept all day....like everyone else and did things in the wee hours of day or night.
    Hope you can get some cooler temperatures heading your way.....ours cooled down but very rainy and that only gives me aches and pains and headaches, just can't win.
    Have a great day.....xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica I think July and August are the worst months for visiting..unless you really love this kind of heat..which it would seem many do!

      Spring and Autumn are lovely..my favourite times of the year xx

      Delete
  9. Well done, Ayak. I just don't know how you live with such heat. Never mind the Olympics - you deserve a medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I complain about it at this time every year Perpetu, but always manage to survive. Thank goodness it doesn't last forever!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x