Pages

Saturday, 18 August 2012

I'm on a mission today

I was very tired last night, after a fairly hectic day, so went to bed earlier than usual.

Whilst I was asleep I was aware of the sound of a donkey crying.  In my semi-conscious state, I didn't react straight away, assuming it was my next door neighbour, Dursune's donkey. 

At around 5am I was wide awake and concerned.  It occurred to me that Dursune's donkey doesn't do this at night.  If he was in distress, Dursune would be out of the house like a shot.  She adores her donkey.  So I wondered if perhaps she was ill, or worse.

It was pitch black outside.  I got dressed and went out with the torch.  Just outside our garden was a donkey (not Dursune's) tied with rope to the telegraph pole, with a metal bolt through it's hoof attached to the rope.  He was in a terrible state.   He was scrabbling around for food.   I fetched a couple of carrots from the house and took out some water.   He was so thirsty, he drank 5 litres.

I wasn't sure what to do next but I couldn't leave him so I cut the rope, with the intention of trying to coax him into our garden.  He was too scared and I wasn't strong enough to move him.  So he trotted off down the lane.  I'm not worried about him coming to harm in the village.  He will wander about, find food, and maybe find his way home.  At least he is free.

I am however really upset that someone could just leave him there.   I am determined to find the culprit.  I am sitting near the window now, watching and waiting, in the hope that the owner returns.  It's already very hot and if the donkey had still been tied up, he would have had no shade, food or water.

I haven't mentioned this incident to anyone, just in case they forewarn the culprit.  I want to catch him and confront him myself.  If he doesn't appear by late afternoon, then I will be setting off around the village to see if I can find him.   He'd better watch out...I am not best pleased!

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I will KV.

      There has been no sign of anyone coming up here to collect the donkey, so I can only assume that he found his way home. I've been for a walk around the village but can't see the donkey anywhere.

      I can't do anything else. I have decided not to ask around, because Mr A is away and I have no idea if there would be repercussions, so I'm going to wait until Mr A comes home (no idea when that will be)...or if the donkey is tied up again outside, then I will phone Mr A to talk to the Muhtar.

      Delete
  2. What filth!
    All power to your elbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sickening Fly. I feel a bit useless at the moment. I was so angry this morning that adrenalin would have made me fight the culprit. I've since calmed down a little and know it could be foolish to take on someone with Mr A away.

      Delete
  3. Thats awful good on you for going out, Ijust dont understand how humans can do this sort of thing to animals whatever their culture xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand it either greygirl. To be honest my first concern in the early hours was that Dursune may have been unwell and she lives on her own so I needed to check. To find the donkey there was quite a surprise.

      Delete
  4. It is never dull in your village.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you found out who put the donkey there yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't BtoB. I've wandered around the village again today, thinking I may see it tied up elsewhere. But nothing. I've not mentioned it to anyone because I don't want them to know I'm aware, so if I find it tied up outside again, or elsewhere, then I can do something about it.

      Delete
  6. Well done, Ayak. It was brave and compassionate of you to care so much. Some people just aren't fit to have animals! Grrr!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make me angry Perpetua. There's no excuse. My neighbour treats her animals very well so there's no reason why others in the village can't do the same.

      Delete
  7. .........ahh the life of Ayak. Never a boring moment, love reading your daily adventures. Wonder who left the Donkey there??? Some people just don't have a heart for animals.
    I love Donkeys...so I probably would have kept it.
    I would get a kick out of seeing them when they came with a wagon of 'stuff' to the pazar in Izmir.
    Good idea to wait for Mr. A.....I sure would.

    Take care and keep us posted. Have a great day xxxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donkeys are such lovely animals Erica, and they are worked so hard here. Dursune's donkey works very hard for her but she treats him so well. He's very healthy and happy. He "talks" to her every time she comes out of her house!

      Delete
  8. I hope you find him, Ayak! And that the weather gets easier on you soon. Though I'm still jealous - wish I was back in Kusadasi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still no sign of the donkey Deniz, but I'm still looking. It's still hot but it has been windy these past few days which makes it a bit easier.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x