Pages

Saturday, 25 August 2012

Laptop Problems

Last year, after I'd had my netbook for a couple of months, Mr A took it to a computer shop and paid to have Windows 7 in English installed on it.

I was delighted because now I wouldn't have to struggle with technical Turkish in pop-up boxes, and at least I might be able to understand most of what I'm doing.

Within the last couple of months a pop-up has appeared telling me that the Windows programme I am using is counterfeit.  Hardly surprising really, considering that a lot of what you buy in Turkey is fake.  Or as market traders, selling watches, sunglasses, designer bags, will proudly refer to as "genuine fakes".

I can't get rid of the pop-ups until I uninstall the fake programme and purchase a genuine copy.  I'm not really confident about doing this in Turkey, so I thought it best to wait till I get to England next month.

However, after checking prices online,  I discovered that Windows programmes are very expensive and it would seem cheaper to buy a secondhand netbook with the programme already installed.

Last week my brother checked eBay, joined an auction, and managed to get me an identical netbook (an English one...yay!) for £89.  He's checked it over and tried it out and it's in excellent condition.  I can't wait to be rid of these pop-ups which appear every few minutes!  

My daughter has finally had her laptop repaired.  It's not been working for months...in fact I believe since last year.  Because of this we haven't been able to talk via Skype so I haven't seen my gorgeous grandsons since I was there in April.

So, this afternoon there they were on my screen.  I can't believe how much they have grown and it was so lovely to be able to see and talk to them again.  It was Jimi's first experience of a webcam and he seemed quite taken with it.  And Billy sang me some songs that he had learned at nursery school.

Only 20 more sleeps and I'll see them for real!

And this is them, talking to me this afternoon.

16 comments:

  1. He looks entranced...as if he wants to get close to you.

    Good news about the netbook....I can remember struggling with first a French programme, and lately a Sanish programme before one of the local wizards installed a counterfeit English one....it doesn't help when you don't know what you are supposed to be doing in English to start with...
    So my laptop from the U.K. with everything installed in English has been a great relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure Jimi would actually realise it was me, but he seemed to. Billy is now an old hand with the webcam so no problem there.

      Well this as you know is my problem too. Not knowing what I'm doing half the time on the internet in English. So I never stood a chance with Turkish!

      I will be as relieved as you to finally get an English one.

      Delete
  2. all good news Ayak. The children are adorable...not long now till you get some real hugs from them. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a good day Janice..and it will be even better next month!

      Delete
  3. I suppose you have done this but did you run a virus check on your PC. I am suspicious because those pop-ups happened to me (They told me I had a virus and the only way to get rid of it was to buy a product. Turned out the only virus I had was the only trying to sell me the product!)
    If you type the words from the warning into Google, you might find the same thing. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nomad. Yes I did check and it was a genuine pop-up message. I did have a similar thing to you a couple of years ago which ended up with me being asked to buy something, so I was wary this time. I also got my brother-in-law to check with teamviewer. He tried for two hours to get rid of the pop-up but to no avail. This is the first time he hasn't managed to resolve a problem. With his Masters Degree in computer science, I guess if he couldn't sort it, no-one could.

      But thanks for the advice. You've given me good advice before so I always take note xxx

      Delete
  4. Great news about your netbook.......now you have no excuse not tooooo Blog. We have this techy guy who comes and fixes our computers and laptops right to the house....he's pricey but then I don't have a headache trying to fix the problem.
    What a bunch of cuties. Jimi looks like he's trying to reach and touch you,and Billy has this cute look about him, just looking.
    Only 20 days and you will see them. :-)))).
    Going now to a Turkish Festival here in the city and it is hot outside. I'm going for some good old Turkish food...and some cay. That will be our dinner.
    Take care. E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica it's great to have someone you can call on for computer problems. Sometimes it's worth the expense for peace of mind.

      Yes Jimi does look like he's trying to touch me doesn't he? Mind you at one point he climbed up on the table and sat with his bottom facing the screen, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

      The festival sounds like it will be fun...have a good time xx

      Delete
  5. That photo is wonderful - pure communication and love. Glad you've got something sorted. My new netbook is giving me a problem - I do hope I can get it fixed soon - I was so looking forward to stop being tied to a PC when I wanted to write something.
    Sometimes it's worth wishing your time away, especially when there's something so good ahead. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think netbooks are wonderful Annie...when they're working well! I never imagined you could do as much with them as a regular pc.

      I try not to wish my life away, but the nearer it gets to seeing the boys, I really do start counting off the days!

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely picture of the boys, Ayak. No wonder you can't wait to see them again in the flesh. :-) Sorry to hear about your netbook problems, but glad you have a properly-functioning, English language one to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua. I love the photo. It really captures the moment perfectly.

      I am so looking forward to seeing them!

      Delete
  7. Aww gorgeous pic of the boys. Glad you are going to get your new netbook soon. My laptop gave up the ghost a few weeks ago boo hoo. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks greygirl. Shame about your laptop. Have you looked on eBay..there are some real bargains on there.

      Delete
  8. My first thought was that maybe you had a virus, but it seems that's been checked out for you. This netbook has the Turkish version of Windows. It's helping me learn all kinds of technical Turkish words (I just hope I'm understanding them correctly!). Ashley finds it hard to use as, although it can change to an English keyboard, the labels on the keys are for a Turkish keyboard, so he runs downstairs to use the laptop whilst I sit outside in the cool!
    The grandchildren do look very cute. You must be looking forward to seeing them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary I've got so used to a Turkish keyboard now that I think it will take me a while to get into the habit of using an English one again. I struggled so long with the Turkish Windows that it was a relief to have the English one installed. Now these blasted pop-ups every few minutes have me shouting at the screen. Every time they inform me that I'm using a counterfeit copy I just yell "I know!".

      Can't wait to be rid of them. Yes I am very much looking forward to seeing the boys.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x