Pages

Wednesday, 8 August 2012

The early bird....

...doesn't always catch the worm, or in my case the bus.

Yesterday, Tuesday, was market day in Milas.  I am reluctant to venture out anywhere at the moment because it's just too hot, and the walk up the hill to our house is a killer.  But I was in need of vegetables so decided the best thing to do would be to set off early.

I walked down to the village at 7.15am and it's a hive of activity at this time.  Men, women and children marching down to the collection point with the milk from their cows, in all shapes and sizes of containers, transported on the backs of tractors, in hand carts, shopping trolleys, or simply carried by hand.

Bread being delivered to the shop.  Groups of men waiting for service buses to their jobs out of the village.  Tractors heading off to the fields, with trailers attached carrying women about to undertake a hard day's work.

For some silly reason I thought there wouldn't have been many people on the 7.30am bus. I couldn't have been more wrong.  It was packed like sardines.

I had enough time to buy my vegetables in Milas market and made my way back to the bus station with 5 minutes to spare to catch the 8.30am bus back to the village.  Only it had left early.  I had been so pleased with myself for making the decision to do my shopping early and return home before it got too hot and now found myself having to wait for the next bus.

This is where it becomes annoying.  On market day the regular timetable goes out of the window.  After the 8.30am bus has left,  the drivers will not head back to the village until they have 10 passengers on board.

So I waited...and waited...and waited.  Two hours!   By which time it was very hot and I was extremely bad tempered.  The bus left just after 10.30am and I struggled up the hill with my shopping, arriving home just after 11.00.

Never again!

14 comments:

  1. You must have been livid in every sense of the word!
    Anchored at the bus station in the heat with shopping bags...and then the walk uphill in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was livid Fly. It didn't help my mood that I almost fell out of the bus, having had to climb over everyone's shopping...aaargh!

      Delete
  2. How frustrating, what began with your great description of a bustling but purposeful scene, and all your good intentions for an early start, ruined. I hope you slumped down when you finally got home, and managed to cool down a little.J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slumped is definitely the word Janice....fit for nothing for the rest of the day!

      Delete
  3. We still can't get it into our heads that the best time to go to market here is after the heat of the day has passed. All our neighbours go in the early evening. We still head off in the heat of mid morning. We are fortunate that it's only a short walk there and not too steep on the way back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would prefer to go in the evening omentide..but then the buses stop running quite early. Our village "market" on Mondays consists of one stall..sometimes two if we're lucky...so very little choice of produce. Maybe I should get a car...or donkey!

      Delete
    2. love the idea of a donkey....with a large umbrella perched on the saddle, and a basket with ice cooled drinks attached too.....and the saddle should look more like an arm chair than a saddle. Hope today is cooler for you. J x

      Delete
    3. Yes I like that idea Janice. I'll see if I can borrow my next door neighbour's donkey for a bit of practise!

      I'm afraid I've given in to the aircon today. I hate it but I feel like I'm roasting alive here.

      Delete
  4. And the day started so well. Hope you've cooled down by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Rosie...41 degrees in the shade at the moment :-((

      Delete
  5. The life of Ayak continues....poor you. I would be above the 'livid' stage. Hope you have a better and cooler day.

    I know when I'm in Izmir we usually go to the big city markets around 9 am.....so crowded and HOT already and those sellers screaming in your face...like I can't see the mountain pile high tomatoes...and they are selling water bottles boiling in the hot sun. But I love those markets.

    Stay cool. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The markets do get busy very early Erica, particularly at this time of year..shame I can't say the same for the village buses from Milas!

      Trying to stay cool but very difficult!

      Delete
  6. I've finally got back to my computer and can read and post without having to sit outside in the rain. You're right! It's hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very hot BtoB! Welcome back xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x