Pages

Thursday, 27 September 2012

All change

I don't know.  I go away for a week and everything changes.  Is it a conspiracy I wonder?  Do "they" wait until I'm out of sight then change everything just to confuse me when I come home?

Yesterday morning I needed to go into Milas to pay our monthly health insurance at the bank.  I decided to get the 8.40am bus from the village but when I reached the bus stop, lo and behold, the bus timetable had changed.  No 8.40am bus. I'd missed one at 8.30 so had to wait until 9.15 for the next one.

When the bus reached Milas, everyone got off in the centre and I was the only passenger remaining.  I needed to go to the bus station because it's closer to the banks.   Only it isn't now.  Why?  Because they've moved the bus station.  It's now far away from the centre, in an area that I hadn't visited before.  I have no sense of direction.  It takes me ages to find my way around and I tend to stick to areas that are familiar.

I asked the driver to point me in the direction of the banks...which he did.  It was quite a walk and I felt completely lost.  I was so busy concentrating on the roads and buildings around me that I failed to notice a hole in the pavement and down I went.  Heavily.  I twisted my leg and it's painful.  Fortunately I was wearing jeans.  I grazed my knee but without jeans on, it could have been worse.

At last I came to a road I recognised and carried on limping to the bank.   After queuing for some time, the security guard  asked me what I was there for.  When I explained, he said the system had changed and I could now pay my health insurance via a newly installed ATM outside the bank.  He very kindly showed me how it worked, so at least that will save me time in future.

My mobile phone just will not charge anymore.  I took it to the shop where I bought it, secondhand, several months ago.   I decided to change it for a new one this time, with a 2 year guarantee.  I don't need a phone with cameras and gadgets, which Mr A always tries to convince me I must have.  I just need to text and make calls.  The man showed me a Samsung which is so easy to use, even I can manage it.   It was priced at 150 lira (about £50).  I could have bought the same model cheaper in England, but as you need to register a foreign phone in Turkey to avoid it being blocked, and that costs 100 lira, it's swings and roundabouts really.   Surprisingly the man in the phone shop gave me 80 lira for my useless phone so the new phone only cost 70 lira.

So that was a change I was quite happy with!

16 comments:

  1. I hope your knee is not too sore....it can give you quite a jolt.Given the hazards of the pavements in San Jose you have all my sympathy!

    Chsnging the bus station is just not on! Use your new 'phone to complain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does shake you up when you fall Fly. The leg and knee are still sore but not as bad as yesterday so on the mend.

      Haha...me complain? Don't forget I'm a woman and a foreigner...I doubt it will do any good!

      Delete
  2. Thats incredible that in only a week all these things changed. Just as well you didn't go for a month!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes just as well Maggie. I wonder what I'll find when I return from 3 weeks in December.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, Ayak, I'm so sorry you fell and had your bus taken from you and the bus stop changed...and so on! It's the time for change - though here you can call them cuts. There's a lot of 'change' here at the moment too. At least there was a little improvement in one area. Hope you're not too hurt.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I noticed today there are cuts in the bus timetable too Annie. There are no buses at all between 3pm and 6pm every day!

      Delete
  4. UGH!!! Don't you just hate it when things change....so sorry about your fall. I'm happy you didn't crack a bone or something, yes I noticed the roads and sidewalks in Turkey do need some work on them. Some of the sidewalk curbs are so high that you need to be hoisted to crawl over.
    Glad you got your cell phone straightened.....here they go nuts for the new IPhone, the first day there were thousands of people in line a few days ago to get a new one that just came out...you would think that there was a shortage or something.
    Hope you don't get too many more changes and that you have a pleasant day. E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pavements are indeed dreadful here Erica. I am used to walking with my eyes fixed firmly on the ground, just in case. It was only because I was lost this time that I didn't look down. I won't make the same mistake again.

      I don't understand the obsession with iPhones or similar. Much too complicated for my simple brain!

      Delete
  5. I hope the knee is feeling better, your trip to pay that bill sounds awful...thank goodness for the phone...at least it sounds as if that went right. It is amazing how quickly thinks can change when you are away. My absences from my Yorkshire home have made me very confused when I've gone shopping .....most of the shops have closed down because of the flooding, which also happened while I was away.
    I suppose the change with being able to pay at the ATM might be a change for the better...hope so. Take care on those pavements ! J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice. Apologies for the late reply/ It would seem that I'm no longer getting emails when someone comments and opened my dashboard to find lots of comments from days ago.

      The knee is fine now but my back is playing up, probably damaged at the same time, but I'm on the mend thanks x

      Delete
  6. Oh what a shame about your foot - here is lots of healing power

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've joined me in the clumsy club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um..I think I was probably the founder member BtoB x

      Delete
  8. Good health to you Ayak...I too am a peron with no sense of direction..always end up taking the same route to where I'm going which might not always be the fastest or shortest!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x