Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Home

I eventually arrived back from my trip to England at 2.45 on Monday morning.  It should have been an hour and a half earlier but the flight from Heathrow to Istanbul was delayed.

We landed at Istanbul with half an hour to get through passport control and to the gate for the domestic flight to Bodrum.  It should have been enough time.  In the past when this has happened there has always been someone from Turkish Airlines ground staff to get us through as quickly as possible in order to get us on the flight.  Not this time.

The passport officer said "you must run" and I did.   I got to the gate with 15 minutes to spare.  It was closed and no sign of airport staff.  Just half a dozen other passengers who had arrived earlier than I had, to find the gate closed.  Clearly they had filled the seats on the flight and closed the gate too soon.  

I found a very helpful man who took my boarding pass and went off to get me one for the next flight, telling me that my luggage would be transferred to this flight.

Running for 10 minutes had left me feeling quite ill.  I have a rotten cold (picked up in England during my last two days) which has now developed into a chest infection.  I was tired and not at all happy.

I arrived at Bodrum airport but there was no sign of my luggage, or that of the other half a dozen passengers who had missed the previous flight.  We established that our luggage was still in Istanbul and would be delivered sometime later in the day.  Another half an hour was taken up with filling in forms etc.

I was met by a tired and grumpy Mr A who couldn't understand why I wasn't cheerful and smiling and took this as a personal insult.  Bloody men just don't get it do they?  However, Poppy was pleased to see me and I was pleased to see my bed.

After many phone calls my luggage finally arrived at lunchtime yesterday, and the cheese and bacon contained therein was fine..thank goodness for coolbags.

I have sent a complaint to Turkish Airlines, for what it's worth.  I have also mentioned that every time I try to upgrade using my airmiles, I am informed that the flight is full.  And every time I try to use them to get a free ticket, there are none available for the flights I require.  If you are a frequent Turkish Airlines traveller take my advice...don't bother to register for Miles & Smiles..they don't deliver what they promise.

Apart from the problems returning home, I did have a wonderful time with Stella, Billy and Jimi.  I'll tell you more about it when I'm in a better mood!

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks BtoB and a huge thankyou for giving Poppy a lovely holiday xxx

      Delete
  2. Glad you made it home safely and sorry you had such a bad experience in Istanbul. I know when things like this happen to me, it always helps to remember that these things can happen all over the world. However, for some reason, they do seem to happen in Turkey to me!! Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle. It's rare for me to complain about Turkish Airlines. I've used them for years and they have been pretty reliable. It seems their service wasn't up to their normal standards this time.

      Delete
  3. I would be grumpy too if my luggage was misplaced.
    Anyway, glad you eventually got it and that you had a lovely time in England.......except for your cold that is. I am trying to ward off a sore throat.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes at least I finally got the luggage Maggie. I hope your sore throat clears up soon. The change in weather doesn't help!

      Delete
  4. Sorry your' homecoming was difficult, sounds like a nightmare, but I'm glad you had a good time in England. I'm hoping to hear about the children, and of course what adventures Poppy got up to with Jake in your absence.Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a nightmare Janice, but after a good night's sleep I'm not quite so grumpy!

      Delete
  5. All you need on top of a chest infection is having to run!
    My luggage was lost in Madrid the last time I returned...so, like you, form filling, etc and luckily the chap on the desk asked another passenger to look for Mr. Fly at the arrivals area to tell him I was on the flight as otherwise, as he told me when I emerged from the building, he had been sure I'd missed the plane and he was turning for home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been very annoying Fly, on top of everything else. Luckily I was able to ring Mr A from Istanbul and tell him I was on the next flight. Then my phone battery died, but fortunately he managed to find out flight details at the airport.

      Delete
  6. Glad you made it in one piece after that adventurous trip.
    Hope you feel better.....and men UGH!!! they are all the same.
    Get some rest and remember the memories with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica..don't you just despair of men at times?! Getting plenty of rest now and feeling much better xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x