Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Arrivals

Within the last few days Autumn seems to have arrived.  A bit of thunder, a little rain, and chilly mornings and evenings, but the days are still lovely.  Plenty of sunshine to enjoy outside on the balcony.  The duvet is back on the bed and my big fluffy dressing gown is back in use, particularly early morning.

I still love to watch the sun rise, whatever the weather.  On the balcony with my first coffee of the day.

And the wandering nomad has returned.  Yes Mr A is back.  He's only been away in Antalya for a couple of weeks.   Work hasn't been very rewarding for him this year.  I've actually lost track of where he's been this season.  So much travelling here and there to try to earn money.  Every year we live in hope of him coming home with pockets full of cash to see us through the winter months, but it rarely happens.  This year is no exception.

The only advantage to him being away from home so much, is that wherever he is, he has a bed and he is being fed and earning just enough for his everyday needs.  This means that I take responsibility for myself and I'm pretty good at leading a frugal life.

He hates being in this situation and it hurts his male pride to have to ask me for anything.

There may be a job lined up for the beginning of December, but it's a little uncertain at the moment.  In the meantime, we needed to think of something for him to do now.  He has in past winters bought supplies of Mesir Macunu and travelled around the villages to sell it.  It's very popular with Turks, particularly as winter approaches, because they truly believe it cures all sorts of ailments.  It's difficult to find in shops outside of Manisa so it's fairly easy to sell it locally and produce a profit.

So we decided to spend a few hundred lira on supplies.  Mr A spent time on the phone yesterday organising an order, which the company said would arrive by cargo today.

Later in the afternoon, the company rang to say that the order was ready for despatch.  However, they couldn't find a cargo company to deliver it before Kurban Bayram.   Bayram doesn't start until Friday.  Today is Wednesday.  Cargo companies have decided to extend the holiday and are apparently closing at midday today.  So we will now have to wait until towards the end of next week to receive supplies.

It kind of reminds me of how this extending of holidays has occurred in the UK.  Anyone else remember the days when we finished work on Christmas Eve and returned the day after Boxing Day?  And when New Year's Day wasn't a bank holiday?  Now the two holidays have blurred into one, resulting in more than a week's holiday.  Looks like Turkey may be following suit.

16 comments:

  1. Kurban Bayramin Kutlu olsun... love from auntiegwen xxxx

    ps I hope that's right :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh get you auntiegwen!

      Yes I'm sure that's right...thankyou xx

      Delete
  2. And ahappy festival from me too...nomatter how frustrating these delays can be...I remember the French 'pont'linking up with a weekend at any possible excuse...
    Here, government offices close...but only on the holiday itself or the substitute day in the week if that's a weekend and otherwise life goes on as normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am quite surprised that it seems to be happening here Fly, so I don't know whether it's just cargo companies or whether other businesses are doing the same.

      Just as well there's a delay on the delivery as we just heard about half an hour ago that Mr A's elderly grandfather has died today (less than 6 months after grandmother passed away) so he's heading off to Ankara now.

      Delete
    2. I am sorry...they seem to have been his 'real' family.

      Delete
    3. They were Fly. The two he was closest to. It's a sad time for him.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great start to the day sitting on the balcony watching the sunrise......with a cup of coffee.
    Hope next year will be a better year for Mr. A and have a more rewarding job...and stay closer to home with you and Poppy. :-)

    Great idea about selling that Manisa Mancunu...it's true Turks believe in all sorts of cures for ailments. One big one I've seen is that your stomach will get sick if you have ice in your juice, soda or whatever you are drinking in the winter months. Ok I thought. :-)
    Thanks for the upper on Bayram, my husband asked me yesterday..."when is it?" I don't know all I know is that I'm getting ready for Halloween next week.
    ..........have a good one today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica. Well I'm glad my post was a reminder of Kurban Bayram for your husband. I had quite forgotten about Halloween...although it will go unnoticed here of course.

      Yes I've heard the one about ice...and also icecream..not to be consumed during the winter months. There's lots of old wives tales like that here!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about Mr A's grandmother. I love the idea of the cure all though. I saw an old 2nd world war advert for pills to cure anxiety, bad temper, insomnia, neurosis,aches an pains, fevers and a few other things today. Sounds great !
    Hope the courier company doesn't keep you waiting too long. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice it sounds like those 2nd world war pills were very similar to mesir macunu! If only they delivered what they promised.

      Delete
  5. Oh dear - poor Mr A. He seems fated to be on the road for 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly does BtoB. His car is is second home these days.

      Delete
  6. It seems like all the holidays are just blurring one into another. This week we will finish up Halloween, but I can tell you November 1st the holiday decorations will be up in the stores. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does seem that way Kelleyn. A friend in the UK mentioned today that she had already seen a TV ad with a christmas tree in it.

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear about Mr A's grandfather, Ayak. That will be very hard for him. He's had a really difficult year.

    I hope the delivery company will get the supplies of mesir macunu to you as soon as possible. This extending of holidays is great for the workers, but not so easy for those waiting for some kind of service. Nevertheless, enjoy the festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Perpetua. Mr A's in Ankara with his family at the moment, so there's no immediate rush on the delivery. It's true...great that the workers have a bit more time off.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x