Sunday, 14 October 2012

Childish retaliation

I am a pretty tolerant person.  Most of the time.   I don't like a lot of noise however.

Some noise can't be helped of course.  Roadworks, traffic, building works, etc.  They're part of everyday life and I accept that they are necessary.

The Turks on the whole are quite a noisy race.  Until we moved to this village, we lived in rented apartment blocks.  I have had more than my fair share of noisy neighbours.  Those who sit out on their balconies until the early hours of the morning, shouting and laughing loudly, with no regard for those people who are trying to sleep.   I have rarely complained though..unless it goes on indefinitely.  Even then, I'm quite polite when I complain.  To be fair, most Turks take complaints very well.  They act on them.  They don't take it personally, and they don't bare grudges.

This village is quite peaceful on the whole, unless there is a wedding taking place, in which case there will be loud music, sometimes for a couple of days.  Again, it's part of life and I suffer it without complaint.

Sevke is our next door neighbour. She is a lovely elderly lady.  She lives alone and is very quiet.  Unless she has family visiting when they all talk loudly and excitedly out on her terrace.  That doesn't bother me.  It doesn't happen often and I'm happy because Sevke's happy to be with her family.

On the other side of Sevke is a house which is empty most of the time.  It is owned by a family who originally lived in this village but now live in Izmir.  During the summer months they have come to stay every weekend.   From the moment they arrive they turn music on full blast, and they don't switch it off until they leave.  From Friday evening until Sunday evening it goes on and on.  It's so loud that even if I close the windows, plug in my earphones and listen to a programme on my laptop, I can still hear it above whatever I am trying to listen to.   I can't imagine what it's like for Sevke, who is much closer to them than I am.

When Mr A was here last week he had a friendly word with them and they turned it down.  However, he is away now (and I am sure they are aware of this).    They arrived on Friday night and the music was louder than ever.

So now for my childish retaliation.  Sevke is away this weekend.  I decided to get my own back by playing loud music with all my windows open.  There is a slight problem here though.  Although I have lots of CDs, I don't have a CD player and I can't play them on my netbook.  So...I plugged in an old portable TV that someone gave us.  I then found a scart lead in the shed and attached it to the TV and to a DVD player that someone else had given us, but which had been gathering dust in a cupboard.  I inserted a CD and voila....loud music!

I found that an old  Bryan Adams CD had the desired effect.  After an hour of ear-splitting music, the noisy neighbours got the message. 

They turned off their music.   I turned off mine.   Peace was restored.

16 comments:

  1. I'm stunned by your technical know how!
    Brilliant, Ayak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't be too stunned Fly. It was pretty basic stuff and even so it took me a while to work it out!

      Delete
  2. Childish - no. Effective - yes. That is known as returning the compliment in my book, Ayak, or even the biter bit, and they deserved every moment of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua. I don't feel quite so childish now!

      Delete
  3. Bryan Adams....

    I guess it must have been the Power of Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha certainly not the Power of Love omentide! Actually it was Run to You..one of my all time favourites..brilliant played full blast!

      Delete
  4. I think it's brilliant, Ayak, and clearly very effective. I hope you still enjoyed Bryan, even at a higher volume than perhaps the last time you listened to him!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly did enjoy him Annie..and have been playing CDs again since then...normal volume of course!

      Delete
  5. You are not childish....they deserved it being so selfish and piggy.
    Yes Izmir does have noise...the first time I was there I never knew about the Mosque calls...not just one but a whole series of them, so it woke me up at night and I thought it was someone listening to the radio. For a month it woke me up every morning. I lived in Manhattan for 10 years and the noise there was incredible but after a while I ignored it, especially when I lived across form Grand Central station.

    Good for you...being so technically talented and next time you should always crank the music up with maybe some heavy metal rock. But then it might get Dursune's Donkey singing along...not a good idea maybe :-)
    Take care XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately Erica..the walls of this house are very thick so as long as the windows aren't open on Dursune's side then I think there's not much chance of the donkey joining in!

      Delete
  6. They do say that actions speak louder than words, don't they :)

    I agree with you about Turkish people being a noisy race. I think because they are brought up in a noisy household, noise doesn't make them uncomfortable and they can sleep with people chattering and televisions blaring.I can't! I need total silence in order to fall asleep, my hubby thinks I'm weird :)

    We're moving to Istanbul this week and will be staying with my in-laws until we can find jobs and get our own house. I'm dreading it. FIL turns the TV on as soon as he wakes up and it doesn't get switched off again until the last person goes to bed. Even when people visit it doesn't get switched off (very bad manners in the UK, but not here, the visitor will often pick the remote up and start channel-hopping...grrr!).

    I often try to escape the noise by going to another room to read, but MIL disturbs me every 10 mins coming to check that I'm ok! And if I spend too much time on my laptop, for some reason they don't like it!

    Ooops, sorry...this reply turned into a bit of a personal rant! Can you tell I'm stressed at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lilli..no wonder you're stressed! Having to stay with the in-laws wouldn't be my idea of heaven.

      Oh the thing about TV. Aaargh..it annoys me too. Everytime we visit anyone, the TV is always on, and stays on, whilst people shout above it in an attempt at conversation.

      I'm sure your MIL means well when she checks you're OK..but it's really irritating isn't it?

      Delete
  7. ROFL, good for you! Neighbours like that deserve all they get! I'm glad your ploy worked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FeltByRae...and welcome to my blog x

      Delete
  8. Woo hoo! Glad the Bryan Adams worked - I remember doing stuff like that at my grandmother's summer place. But I was fighting loud dance music coming from nearby hotels and bars and they never really noticed that I was trying to listen to my own music :-(
    Glad the antibiotics have kicked in, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Deniz. Bryan Adams always works for me..whether blasting out or at normal volume!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x