Pages

Monday, 1 October 2012

Just another Sunday...

Sundays are generally pretty peaceful around here.   Although I didn't get very much sleep on Saturday night because there was a wedding going on in the village until the early hours, with music at full blast and the customary gunfire at regular intervals.

I hoped for a lie-in but someone had music blasting out somewhere in the village from 7am and because the wind seemed to be blowing in our direction, we had the full benefit of it.

Mr A's job finished on Saturday.  It hasn't been a good season, and for him and the rest of the hamam employees it finished earlier than hoped.  Not enough customers.  All-inclusive holidaymakers just don't want to spend money.

We had a leisurely breakfast out in the garden...the weather is surprisingly still up in the 30s, and Mr A talked about what to do next.  He really wants to get out of tourism if possible and find a "normal" job closer to home.  I'm not sure how likely that is, but he intends to start looking today.

But we did have a good laugh during the afternoon.  Mr A was on the balcony and I was in the kitchen when we heard screams coming from Dursune next door.  A male donkey from somewhere in the village had escaped and managed to get into her garden.   We knew it was a male of course, as it was..how should I put it..visibly extremely excited...and attempting to mount Dursune's female donkey. 

She was doing all she could to get the donkey out of the garden, without much success, so Mr A rushed over to help.  He managed to get the donkey out and tied him up outside until we could find the owner.

Dursune, meanwhile, was still screaming and shouting and very angry.  She said something which I didn't quite catch, and Mr A burst out laughing.  I asked what it was and apparently she said "I'm going to ring the jandarma..my donkey is not a prostitute!"  She was deadly serious.

We're still chuckling today!


22 comments:

  1. Hilarious. I am almost trying to stop myself picturing it....but you paint such a clear picture, that is impossible, the image is firmly imprinted ! Glad you and Mr A can spend some time together, but hope you have good news on the job front soon. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice. It was actually a rare pleasure for Mr A and I to find something to laugh about...together! He's still looking for jobs, but it's not the best time of year to find anything.

      Delete
  2. You could write a blog just about donkeys! Hope Mr A is successful in his quest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could indeed BtoB..I love donkeys!

      Delete
  3. Life in Turkey, Ayak, never a dull moment (or a quiet one, it seems!) Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only in Turkey! It reminded me of another funny story, hope you don't mind if I share it with you...an American friend was working in Turkey and had to get the dolmus to work. Her partner taught her to say, 'Inecek var' (loosely translates to 'someone wants to get off'). When the dolmus reached her destination, my friend called to the driver, 'Inek var'...meaning...'there is a cow!' :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lilli. Lovely story. I'm chuckling again now. Thankyou x

      Delete
  5. This was a cute and funny story about the donkey...which are one of my favourite animals..... but the gunfire at a wedding YIKES!!!! now that is scary. My husband said he's never been to a wedding with gunfire before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband doesn't know what he's missed Erica! It's quite common around here x

      Delete
  6. Love the comment about the donkey lol put a smile on my face xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed it greygirl x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Sundays are a lot more exciting than moie, Ayak. :-) I love the story about the donkey and agree that Dursune's animals look so well-cared-for. Fingers crossed for successful job-hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Sundays are a little more exciting than others Perpetua!Keep your fingers crossed for Mr A. He's still hunting x

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x