Pages

Monday, 22 October 2012

Rain and Vegetables



There are grey clouds in the sky today and a storm is forecast, but it doesn't feel like it's going to happen.  We have rain too, but so little it's hardly worth mentioning.  In fact I walked down to the village to get vegetables...in the rain...but I didn't get wet enough to have to change my clothes when I returned to the house.  But it was pleasant to feel a few drops on my skin.

Monday is market day in our village.  I use the term "market" loosely, because it mostly consists of one vegetable stall.  Although today there were two more vendors who had their vegetables laid out on the ground.  This does happen occasionally and I know exactly what will happen when I approach them.

They all start calling to me at once because they want me to buy from them.  I do what I always do.  I bought potatoes from one, leeks and beans from another, and a cauliflower from the third.  Everone's happy.


Talking of cauliflowers, they are just fantastic at the moment.  They are huge though.  This one weighed almost 4 kilos and it was the smallest one I could find.  It should be enough to feed me on cauliflower cheese for a week.  It was just 2.5 lira (about 85pence).  A kilo of lovely green beans for 2 lira will make one of my favourites..green beans in olive oil, and the potatoes and leeks will make a huge pot of soup for eating and freezing.  

I spent a total of 8.5 lira (less than £3.00) and have more than enough fresh and healthy food to keep me going for some time.



I did call into the village shop to buy chicken livers for Poppy though...I doubt she would be happy with just vegetables!

16 comments:

  1. That cauliflower looks enormous!
    We used to grow our own in France and started here...but when I can get super fresh veg in the market for next to nothing...I'm turning the garden over to ornamentals.
    What about doing an a la grecque with some of the leek and cauli...and carrots if you have them?
    I make up a pot of it most weeks to go with cold meat...or just to have with salad to pick it up when it's hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Mr A planted tomatoes and peppers this year Fly but to be honest they were more trouble than they were worth when as you say veg are so cheap anyway. The peppers weren't good at all and I've tasted better tomatoes. Although I did sun dry some, bottled tomato sauce and made chutney, so nothing was wasted.

      An a la grecque is a good idea. I used to do mushrooms a la grecque which I love, so may try with the veg.

      Delete
  2. We've had rain since 6am. Already had a couple of drops through the living room roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BtoB. Since I wrote this post there's more rain but still not what we are used to./..so no leaks here yet. But maybe I shouldn't be speaking to soon!

      We have thunder too but even that's a bit half-hearted.

      Delete
  3. Glad you've had some rain after so much hot weather, Ayak. Gosh, that cauliflower looks fantastic, just begging for a good cheese sauce. :-) I always do the same at our little local market in France - buy a little from each of the tow or three veg stalls so that all will benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like a peaqceful life Perpetua. These women can look a bit intimidating if I don't play fair!

      Delete
  4. The cauli looks amazing, and all those veggies sound just gorgeous. I'm sure the market in Caunes ( which, I might add, also usually consists of 1 veg stall) has some lovely produce at this time of year.....really wish I was there ! Mind you, I could wax lyrically about Hebden Bridge market...but the caulis certainly aren't as good as yours. Enjoy ! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cauliflower Janice. Well to be honest I love most vegetables. I could almost become vegetarian but not quite!And they taste so good here xx

      Delete
  5. We've had some cauliflowers on the market, but not as good looking as yours. We think those will be a week or two yet.

    It's been trying to rain here all day and even managed a couple of drops. Not enough to make the ground wet. Though we did hear thunder and see lightening. We were told it was raining hard in Sirince. It can all be so local...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually surprised at the size of them already omentide. There were some twice the size of this one and considering this was nearly 4 kilos, you can imagine how huge they were.

      We've had thunder too today..no lightening. Rain but not too much. Feels much chillier this evening though.

      Delete
  6. The veggies in those Turkish markets are amazingly delicious and taste like they were supposed to.....when I first went I couldn't believe the taste difference.....Not like the stuff we get here shipped from Mexico or South America, and who knows how long it has been traveling.....excellent prices you have though....
    We are going to have rain and rain tomorrow....ugh! my bones can feel it...and it gets to 7 C. deg. at night here so the heat goes on in the morning.....
    The best picture is that of poppy what a cutie :-) Enjoy your potato and leek soup, yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the taste Erica. I notice the difference when I'm back in the UK where a lot of the stuff is imported and tastes of virtually nothing.

      Glad you like the pic of Poppy. It's not often I can get her to look at the camera.

      Delete
  7. Even though it's raining, the village still looks beautiful! very glad to have found your blog. I'm married to a Turk too and I'm very interested in learning about Turkish culture from other Brits : D saritaagerman.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarita and welcome to my blog.

      It is very beautiful here whatever the weather. I never get tired of the view even when there are dark clouds.

      Delete
  8. can i come to dinner lol ......food sounds good to me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be more than welcome anytime greygirl xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x