Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Shopping in Bodrum

After a couple of very windy days, and rain last night, the sun came out again this morning and it's been very warm all day.

Mr A needed to see someone in Bodrum about a possible job, so I decided to go over with him and meet up with Gwen.

I also had to visit the Turkish Airlines office because my flights have been changed for December so had to be re-confirmed. 

I have been past a new shopping centre several times called Midtown.  It's on the outskirts of Bodrum on the road to Turgutreis, so we decided to have a look.  It's beautifully set out, and there are lots of lovely shops for browsing, although not necessarily for buying...mostly designer stuff beyond my means.

There are a few cafes to choose from and the prices are quite reasonable, with seating outside as well as inside.  It was very quiet though and I wonder how much business they will have.  These shopping malls have sprung up all over Turkey.  We've visited a few and they never seem to be very busy, with the exception of Forum Bornova in Izmir, which I think is popular because it has an Ikea store.

The photo is blurry.See reason below.

There is a large Carrefour supermarket in Midtown and I decided to do my food shopping there. I notice that Bodrum prices are higher than Carrefour in Milas.  I did however find something that I have been wanting to buy for a long time, at a very good price.  An electric kettle with cay (Turkish tea) pot on top.  I needed a new kettle and I'm afraid I avoid making cay because it's messy so poor Mr A puts up with teabags..he is of course delighted that he can now have proper cay every day.


I did a very silly thing when I tried out the kettle for the first time.  I boiled water in it and poured it in to the washing-up bowl.  Then for some unexplained reason I stupidly put my fingers in the boiling water.  Ouch ...blisters!  They are now covered in my special burn cream and wrapped up.  So please excuse blurry photos because they were taken with one hand as was the typing of this post.       And it's taken ages!


20 comments:

  1. Odd, isn't it...you can see yourself doing it but don't stop...
    Hope you heal up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fly. You;re absoloutely right...you know it's going to happen and there seems nothing you can do to stop it x

      Delete
  2. Oh dear...hope you heal quickly. I'm fascinated to know how the cay pot on top of the kettle works. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. It's quite simple. The kettle has a normal lid for use as a kettle. If you remove the lid you place the glass teapot on top. Inside the pot is an infuser for putting in the loose tea. You boil the kettle then fill the teapot. The difference in this kettle and a normal electric kettle is that after it boils, instead of switching off, it switches on another setting automatically which keeps the water simmering, which in turn keeps the tea in the teapot hot.

      Hmmm..not sure I explained that very well..but we've tried it out this evening and its brilliant.

      Delete
  3. Ouch! that looks painful. I haven't been to Midtown yet, but someone told me there is a Turkish version of Superdrug so I will get over there soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't notice that shop BtoB. Must make another visit soon.

      Delete
  4. OUCH!!!!! Poor Ayak, never a dull moment, so sorry that had to happen to you. Hope it heals fast.
    I know what you mean about making cay, that mess....thank goodness they have the bigger Bardak now. When I first got married they only had those mini mini cups, now they are double the size. If some Turkish people came over I think I would get up 2 or 3 dozen times to fill them up, I sure got my exercise out of that.
    IKEA...we have about 5 IKEA'S within 15 to 30 min. from my house and everytime we go it is jam packed????? I don't care for anything there except the tealights.
    That tea kettle sure looks like something I could use here....for my husband. It looks awesome.
    Feel better... (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica. The tea kettle is brilliant. It works well, makes excellent tea and no mess. It might be worth you considering getting one when you are next over. We have also dispensed with the tiny tulip shaped tea glasses, to avoid the constant refilling.
      I love Ikea, but we don't get to visit often as Izmir is some distance. I could spend hours, if not days, browsing. xxx

      Delete
    2. Love when you Brits say 'brilliant'.....to me a brilliant tea kettle would be a shiny one....like a diamond. Fumy how American English is a bit different...my husband learned the English here so in England he was lost with some of the words.....just my 2 cents. :-)

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean Erica. We share the same language but there are so many differences xx

      Delete
  5. Ouch! I have done stuff like that. Hope your fingers feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope it heals fast Ayak... I am also like this at times.. I can see the disaster coming in my mind.. But feel powerless to stop what I am doing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a pinch of love (what can I call you for short?). Welcome to my blog. I often wonder why these things happen and why we seem unable to stop them. It's healing well, thankyou x

      Delete
  7. Poor Ayak, hope the fingers feel better soon. I've done the same kind of thing more than once and always wonder how....

    The tea kettle is a brilliant buy - well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua. The fingers are much better. I have some miracle cream...I'll mention it in my next post. I am so pleased with the tea kettle...it's brilliant.

      Delete
  8. Hey hello Ayak! Feels like ages since we last 'spoke'! I was on a Walk today and it is always fun explaining how to make Turkish tea! The fact it keeps hot all the time unlike our own tea under those old-fashioned tea cosies! Glad you got a çaydanlık! And I too love IKEA and can always find something to buy there ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia. Nice to "see"you again. I've waited ages to get an electric caydanlik (aargh...I miss my Turkish keyboard!) and am really happy with this one. I bought it in Carrefour, on special offer, for 69.90 lira, which is excellent value. And it's guaranteed for 4 years.

      Delete
  9. Sorry about your fingers, but hopefully they'll mend soon, and you'll be back to 2-handed typing. Thanks for the recap in the Midtown mall. I drove past it a couple of times, but didn't go in. There's something forlorn about Bodrum Malls... the Oasis mall is the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyoun Jay. Yes "forlon" is the word. And I agree that Oasis is the same. The other thing about Oasis is that although I have been there hundreds of times, I still get lost...very badly set out in my opinion.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x