Friday, 5 October 2012

Sultan the Shepherdess

This is Sultan.  She passes our house early every morning with her flock of sheep and climbs up and over the hill behind our house.  They graze for a couple of hours, whilst Sultan collects kindling, then they pass our gate again, where they climb over each other to get at the large water container I leave out for the dogs. 

Occasionally, like yesterday, one manages to get over the wall into our garden so we have to chase it out before it gets stuck into our fruit trees.

Sultan is 76 years old and she climbs that hill like a 16 year old.  She has a daughter and a teenage granddaughter, and they take it in turns to accompany Sultan with the sheep.  I always smile when I see that it's the granddaughter's turn as she looks like she has been dragged reluctantly out of bed and through a hedge.  Hair all over the place and still in pyjamas sometimes.  I guess teenagers are the same everywhere..they hate getting up early!

Sultan is the owner of the dog I mentioned recently who had been chained up outside their house.   Mr A and I encouraged them to remove the chain and make sure the dog had fresh water every day, and is adequately fed.  We treated him for fleas and worms and I supplement his food by saving some of Poppy's meals and give this to Sultan every couple of days.  The dog is doing well and is much happier and healthier.

14 comments:

  1. What does Poppy think about the sheep going past every day? Jake hasn't got used to it yet, but has made friends with the sheep dog that goes past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy stands at the gate barking at them BtoB.I don't think she knows why..she learned it from Beki. Everything Beki did, Poppy copied. How does Jake react?

      Delete
  2. Double comment here, Ayak - I missed Dursune and her beautiful animals yesterday but just caught up now - you have some very interesting and characterful neighbours! Glad Sultan's dog is being looked after better now - pity she can't take heed of Dursune's approach to animal care (and yours of course!)
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie. I'm afraid Dursune's attitude to animals isn't so common really. People around here could learn a lot from her

      Delete
  3. What an adorable lil' woman Sultan is....love her pose she's standing in. With attitude like I'm head of the flock. Good for her she can climb hills, I noticed older people there are more fit then here. Everybody is walking and walking I noticed.
    What a cool scene with sheep passing your home every morning with those sounds...and Poppy barking away.
    Thanks for sharing your post...loved this one. Next time I'm in Turkey I want a pair of them pants that Sultan has...my husband just laughs.
    ....have a great day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the shalwar pants too Erica (which my husband also finds amusing) x

      Delete
  4. So glad that your intervention has given Sultan's dog a better life...and I'm still laughing about the teenager!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to chuckle at her Fly. She looks so tired and grumpy and is clearly only helping her grandmother under protest.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Me too Deniz! And goats, donkeys, chickens!

      Delete
  6. My dogs would go crazy if a herd of sheep walked past our house! They're very curious about other animals, especially Alfie, he loves to go out hunting for tortoises and hedgehogs. He's usually successful as there are so many around here! He doesn't hurt them though, I think he sees them as some kind of live ball to play with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lilli. Well Poppy barks at the sheep but she's quite used to them. We also have lots of tortoises here and Poppy looks for the baby ones. I have mentioned here before that she once picked one up, ran into the house and deposited it on my bed. She doesn't hurt them fortunately!

      Delete
  7. What fascinating neighbours you have, Ayak. I can well imagine climbing hat hill every day will keep Sultan fit and I'm glad your intervention has improved life for her dog. It's just such a shame you have to intervene in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many more dogs that need help Perpetua, but I guess if everyone helped just one, it would be worthwhile.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x