Wednesday, 14 November 2012

And what's Mr A doing these days?

...you might well ask.

Not a lot.  He has been out of work since 30th September, when there were no longer any customers at the hotel hamam in Yalikavak.  A few days later, just before Kurban Bayram, his elderly grandfather died and he made the long journey to Ankara for the funeral, which because of bayram, took place a day later than would normally have happened.

Since then, he has been looking for work, but we all know how difficult it is to find anything at this time of year. 

There are things he should be doing at home, like re-sealing gaps where the rain gets in, and various other DIY jobs on my list...yes I have a list...it gets longer by the day.  However, he doesn't seem to be able to muster up any kind of enthusiasm, so I've given up  nagging reminding him.

He did go for an interview a couple of weeks ago at a 5 star hotel in Bodrum.  They need someone with good English to work in their reservations department.  It's an all-year job, and not only did he know the general manager there, but his father worked for the hotel temporarily some years ago.   A case of "it's not what you know but who you know".  The job comes with personnel accommodation and food, as is usual with hotel work.

They have offered him the position to start on 27th November.  I'm keeping fingers and everything crossed that this one works out, and that he sticks with it.   

In the meantime, because we need to budget, he has  sold the car and bought a motorbike.  Petrol is just so expensive here, and we have to make cuts wherever necessary.  He's not too unhappy about this, because he has always preferred motorbikes to cars.  It's a comfortable bike, similar to the last one we had, which is fine for me...although I won't be on it much during the winter months.

It will be more economical for him while I'm in England next month, because he will finish work around 5pm, and instead of staying at the hotel, he will  come home to take care of Poppy.

With this in mind we have bought a lovely sturdy plastic dog house for her which will be on the balcony.  She will be outside every day while Mr A is at work, and although the balcony is covered, this will give her additional shelter from wind and rain.  At the moment she has no interest in it.  She refuses to set foot inside, but hopefully she will overcome her fear within the next few weeks before I go.

The weather here is still lovely for this time of year.  Glorious sunshine every day and it's great being able to sit outside.  It's saving on heating costs too.  Although the temperature drops at night so I may have to think about switching the electric blanket soon.

I'm getting excited about my trip next month and looking forward to Christmas with my family.

The Christmas ads are appearing on UK TV already..some good...others irritating.  I absolutely love this John Lewis ad.  I know it's silly but it makes me cry!





24 comments:

  1. And if you didn't want Poppy to go into it she would be there like a flash!

    Fingers crossed for the job.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I'm sure she would Fly! Thanks. everything crossed at the moment

      Delete
  2. Congrats to Mr A the job sounds good xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks greygirl. Juat hoping it works out x

      Delete
  3. Happy for Mr. A.....the job sounds like it would be good for him. .....and closer to home.
    Poor Poppy....I'm sure she will get use to it later her new 'den'. Most of my dogs would be like Poppy but then would get use to it, except the Siberian Husky well I think she thought she was a Sultan. :-)
    Take care and I can just imagine how excited you are to go home for Christmas and see your cuties. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I didn't need to buy the doghouse Erica. The balcony is quite sheltered so she would be OK without it but I wanted her to feel more secure..ah well we'll see! I'm very excited about Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Sending all positive vibes to you and Mr A xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I DO hope the job works out well, Ayak, and that Poppy takes to her new house. I hadn't seen the ad yet (no TV here) and it's rather sweet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua. I love the ad x

      Delete
  6. Hoping all goes well with Mr A and the job. It sounds as if it should suit him. And, once more, congratulations on the acquisition of the best form of personal transport!
    My son once told me 'four wheels good, two wheels bad' but, although I respected his literary acumen, I couldn't possibly agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks omentide. Of course I knew you would think the motorbike is a good idea. Hope you're still getting out and about on yours in this lovely weather x

      Delete
  7. Fingers & toes crossed for Mr A's new job.
    Hope Poppy gets used to her house before you go away.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. At the moment Poppy will go inside the house if I put my head in it, but obviously this can't go on! xx

      Delete
  8. All the best to Mr A. Hope the weather stays kind too. The ad is lovely - so sweet, those little stick arms in the gloves!
    Love, Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. That ad makes me a bit tearful but in a happy smiley way! Yes those little stick arms...ahh!

      Delete
  9. Hope Mr.A's job works out, I know how tenuous job offers can be in Turkey...there one minute, gone the next. We've moved to Istanbul now the Fethiye season is over. I've found work but hubby hasn't. And the longer he doesn't work, the lazier he becomes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Lilli. I agree with you. Mr A is enthusiastic about job hunting at first and then the rot sets in. Although I have managed to motivate him a bit today with some DIY. Glad to hear that at least you have found work xx

      Delete
  10. Good luck with Mr A with job hunt, best wishes : ) glad you will be home for Christmas with your family, precious times. Love the J.Lewis ad too!:)
    Best, Ozlem x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Ozlem. I'm so looking forward to seeing my family...counting the days!

      Delete
  11. I like the image of your on your knees with your head in the kennel. What do your neighbours think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they think I'm quite mad BtoB..but then I'm pretty certain they always have done!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x