Monday, 5 November 2012

Memory

I've had this conversation many times with people in my age group.  This thing about memory and the way in which we can recall incidents from many years ago, but can't remember something that happened yesterday.

When I was in Milas recently, collecting medication from the eczane, I looked at one of  boxes at the name of the drug, and instantly remembered that it was marketed by a pharmaceutical company that I worked for more than 35 years ago.

Sitting on the bus I let my mind wander back to that time, recalling the name of the company.  I had many jobs during those times and only worked for this particular company on a temporary basis for about three months.  Not only did I remember the name of the company, but also the full names of the two pharmacists I worked for and the other secretary whose office I shared.  I can clearly recall the way they dressed, the hairstyles, how they preferred their coffee.  I even remember one of them saying that her favourite breakfast was grilled tomatoes on toast.

I am amazed that I can recall so much detail from so long ago, but so little from some recent events.  It's almost like the older we get, the more the memory plays tricks on us.

I was then reminded of being asked many years ago what my very first memory was.   This one is still very clear in my mind.  I was just over a year old (I later verified this with my mother).   It was a sunday and my mother had cooked a roast dinner.  My dad had gone to the local pub for a few drinks and had been told what time to be home for his meal.  He was late...very late...and slightly worse for wear.

My mother was furious and when he walked through the door, she threw the plate of food at him.  He ducked and it hit the wall.  I was playing on the floor and can still remember peas rolling under the chairs.

What was your first ever memory?

12 comments:

  1. I don't really know to be honest. I remember a real mish mash of things from when I was little but have no idea of what my first memory was. Hmmm....will have to go and have a think about that one.

    C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a think Carol and come back and let us know if you remember x

      Delete
  2. Hi Ayak, interestingly, I've had this conversation with my students recently, who don't seem to have any memories at all - or is that just a ploy to not speak English?
    I remember travelling on an aeroplane (with propellers) with a little doll dressed as a Red Indian - I loved her little moccasins and her plaits. I was just 2 but the memory is vivid still.
    Like you, I can recall all sorts of trivia from my past but can't remember where I put the dog's lead today...
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your students are just too young to be bothered with memories Annie...too busy living in the present!
      Hope you find the dog's lead!

      Delete
  3. I can't remember anything before I was 2 and a half - when my mother brought my new baby brother home in a carry cot and put it on the dining table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that would have been a memorable event BtoB, although I can't remember my brother's arrival when I was 4 years old. Obviously not so memorable for me!

      Delete
  4. During the war when my mother had to queue for everything, she parked my pram outside the butchers and I got bored & rocked about to & fro until the pram tipped up and I was screaming. She missed her place in the queue and I suppose I must have been about 18months.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maggie I hope your mother managed to get her meat. I can remember the days when mothers used to leave prams outside shops and babies were safe..how times have changed.

      Delete
  5. I also remember things when I was a kid.....now I can't remember what I did 1/2 an hour ago, have to think.
    I remember I must have been 3 years old and for Christmas I got a book and was sad I couldn't read. So when my cousin came over (she was 5 years older) I remember sitting on the staircase and she read the book, I was so excited to hear the story. Now that part about what the story was about I can' t remember..... from then on she would read books to me till I learned to read myself and teach me the alphabet. I guess she had it in her to teach people because she turned out to be a school teacher for 30 years.
    Hope you still have warm weather because last night it was -5 Deg. Cel.....brrrrr. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely story about your cousin Erica. Quite clearly she was destined to teach.

      Yes the weather is still warm. It's overcast today but temps still in the mid 20s.

      Stay warm xx

      Delete
  6. Your memory and mine, Ayak. Sigh....

    My earliest clear memory is of something cooking in the oven in our old-fashioned kitchen range catching fire! It was nothing serious, but to a barely three-year-old it was frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things like that can be terrifying to a tiny child Perpetua. Thanks for your memory xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x