Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Dentists and Dongles

It's not one of my better weeks so far.  I'm going through one of my accident prone phases again.  I've already cut myself twice on the same sharp object (surely once is enough).   I fell flat on my face, banging the knee which has still not recovered from the last fall about 6 weeks ago.  An hour ago, whilst moving furniture (again) I managed to gouge out quite a large chunk from a finger which has only just stopped bleeding.    And it's only Tuesday!

On a positive note, I have found a new dentist.  This time in Milas which of course is so much more convenient.  I had a check-up yesterday.  The clinic is very sterile, and you have to wear protective plastic covers on your shoes before you enter.  The dentist was very thorough, particularly in checking any health issues I might have, blood group, allergies etc.   I need some bridge and crown work done and an old filling removed and re-done, and a scale and polish.  He also prescribed some mouthwash and anti-inflamatories for my gums which are a little sore at the moment.

I intended to have the scale and polish today, but having left the dental clinic yesterday,  walked a few 100 yards to the chemist for my prescription, I promptly tripped up the steps and flew head first into the shop (banging aforementioned knee).  It was so embarrassing but people were very nice.  I couldn't wait to get out of there. So this morning I couldn't walk very well and decided to cancel the scale and polish.  It will have to wait until I have the rest of the treatment when I get back from England. 

And another modem bites the dust.   There was a storm forecast last night so I disconnected the modem and went to sleep quite early.  I woke up in the early hours, unable to sleep further so went outside to check the weather.  No rain, no sign of a storm.  So I decided to connect the modem and log on to the internet.

I had only been logged on for about 10 minutes when, without warning there was a huge flash of lightening, followed by a loud bang.  No it wasn't the thunder, although that followed minutes later...it was my modem exploding.  This is the fourth modem to have been struck by lightening since we moved here. 

Later today my knee was a bit better so Mr A and I went into Milas.  I had a hunt through cupboards and found a dongle (such a stupid word don't you think?) which we got free on some deal with TTNet a couple of years ago.  At that time it was connected to the Avea service provider, who would send out monthly bills.  I wasn't keen at the time, but Mr A was quite excited...he loves freebies, so we signed up with Avea.  Sure enough the novelty wore off and even though I asked Avea to disconnect, they kept sending bills.  Finally when I refused to pay the last two, they disconnected it.

The Avea shop in Milas has changed a great deal.  The people there are much more efficient than those of two years ago..  I wanted to know whether I could reactivate my dongle but on a pay-as-you-go tariff rather than monthly bills.  They can now do this.  My next question was how long would it take to reactivate.   If it was going to take some time there would be little point as we would hopefully have a new modem in the house anyway.  They said it would take less than half an hour.

So we sat in comfy chairs, were served tea, while the staff inserted a new sim card into the dongle, phoned to get it activated, then plugged it into my laptop, downloaded the software...and that was that.

Next stop TTNet, to get our modem tested...as we thought...completely dead, so now we have a new one.  The problem is that there are so many connection problems in the area that it won't be installed and wires repaired for a day or more.

The dongle is working fine.  I can blog, check emails, etc.  I can't do some of the things that I normally do but at least I'm connected.  It will do for now.



15 comments:

  1. Hope your knee wont make travelling difficult....not long to go now. The dongle story is great.... see, miracles can happen. Have a great Trip Ayak, take care though, no more disasters ! J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. The knee is much better today. I think maybe I ought to stay in bed tomorrow to avoid any more accidents! xxx

      Delete
  2. I'll have to find out about the dongle from you after Christmas. We have had one in our drawer for 11 months because I had no idea whet to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BtoB. If it's a TTNet dongle then an Avea shop is the best place to go. They charge 32 lira a month on kontor which suits me because I won't use it often...and you can go for 5 months without topping up before they deactivate. Today they gave me a new sim card and set it all up and charged just 32 lira which is for this month. Its either 3 or 4Gb I think...although I don't really understand all this stuff. It's very easy to use...has to be or I wouldn't manage it!

      If yours isn't TTNet, you can still check with Avea because I noticed some different ones in their shop, or check with other providers.

      Delete
  3. You do seem to have bad luck with your modems. We were lucky with ours as only the transformer blew up and that was cheap to fix.
    Can you get a surge protector? More or less everything of ours is behind one now. We got them via ebay though I did see some in BMex in Aydin forum for 20 lira. I'd suggest buying them in the UK but then they'd have 3 pin plugs which is a nuisance.
    We had a storm here in Selcuk last night. It didn't blow anything in our house specifically - it took out the electricity right across town for about twenty minutes (during which we discovered our UPS wasn't working - we usually use it to run a light during night time outages). It now has a new fuse and seems OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. why doe syour modem tak ethe hit in storms. Is it through the phone line or the power? If it's the power wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to get it on a power surge protector. SOme off them do both phone and power. I have all my main computer equipment on one. It looks just like an extension cable and you put your plugs into that instead of a normal one. It just plugs into the wall like a normal extention cable. Or something as simple as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-SurgeMaster-1-Way-MasterCube-Protection/dp/B0002AG0DE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

    ReplyDelete
  5. omentide and KV, you are both right, we have to do something to protect our modem but not sure whether surge protectors are the answer. It seems to be struck through the phone line. Mr A has talked to Turk Telekom and TTNet until he's blue in the face because I think they need to take responsibility. We usually disconnect everything during storms, phone line, everything electrical, just to make sure. This time everything was on but only the phone line was hit which in turn blew up the modem it was connected to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes that can happen, Ayak. We once lost an expensive answerphone when the phone line was hit by lightening. It would still be a good idea to plug all your computer and TV equipment into surge protectors for extra peace of mind.

    Good news about the new dentist and I'm glad your knee is feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you're right Perpetua. We had the new modem installed today and we really need to get some surge protectors asap, just to be on the safe side.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad your knee is getting better (((HUGS))), don't worry I'm a pro at tripping myself. Great news you found a new Dentist, he seems very clean.
    You sure have your share with those modems. I really have never heard of them blowing up before here...even during those nasty lightening shows.
    Soon you can put this behind you in a few days and see your 'cuties'....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hugs Erica. The knee is a lot better. However I have some doubts now about the dentist..but more of that later.

      Just looking forward to setting off tomorrow xx

      Delete
  8. Wow, you are having a bad week! I fall quite a lot too, I put it down to my brain being so heavy that it affects my balace :) I once fell down all thirty-two steps of the Pendik train station underground pass...at rush hour! I don't know who was the more embarassed, hubby or me. I always fall in the snow too, I can remember one time arriving at work with torn tights and two bloody knees.

    We're with TT Net, but we have the wireless thing and unlimited internet. I used to have a Turkcell dongle but it was 39TL for 4gb and I often got through 4gb in a fortnight. Now I have unlimited for 42TL per month and I can surf 'til the sun's up :)

    I hope you have a safe journey back to the UK...wish I was coming with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one hell of a fall Lilli..I can't top that one but I'm glad I'm not the only one to have these mishaps.

      We also have the wireless unlimited tariff at home which is pretty good. The dongle is only for emergencies really. I doubt I will use it much and you can go for 5 months without topping up before they deactivate. I'm writing this at Bodrum airport, so as I have a 6 hour wait in Istanbul, I think it will be useful today to help pass the time

      Delete
    2. I went all the way down on my backside so apart from a big bruise the only thing hurt was my dignity :). Last year I slipped stepping into the shower and broke my right wrist, I don't know how I forgot to mention that one!

      Have a safe journey x

      Delete
    3. Lilli you sound so much like me. If I actually sat and thought about it I could give hundreds of examples of my accidents from falls to burns to cuts. I wonder if there is a name for people like us!!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x