Sunday, 16 December 2012

Moving around

Just before I came on this trip to England I wondered if three and a half weeks at my daughter's house might not be a bit much...for her and for me.

My visits are normally just for a week or a little more, which is fine.  Their house is small, only two bedrooms, so I have to sleep on the sofa.  It's comfy enough but with all the paraphernalia of Christmas being added daily to the house, it was becoming quite overcrowded. And I hate living out of a suitcase.

I sometimes stay at my brother's house but it wasn't possible this visit.  His daughter has just bought her first home.  Exchange of contracts had been delayed and my brother's house is packed to the rafters with his daughter's furniture, so no room to squeeze me in!

I had an offer from a friend of one of her spare rooms, and the run of her house.  I didn't want to offend my daughter by taking up my friend's offer so decided to go ahead and stay with my daughter. After a week of sleeping on the sofa and feeling like none of us have our own space, I made the decision to move to my friend's house for the rest of my stay.  I am really just sleeping there and going to my daughter's house every day.  I will of course be staying over for babysitting and for Christmas, but it does give all of us a bit of personal space when we need it.

I'm having a bit of a disaster with umbrellas.  I bought one in Turkey before I set off.  Used it for the first time last week and a gust of wind blew it inside out, broke all the spokes and the whole thing collapsed.   I bought another one on Friday, and lost it. (at least I thought I had).  I bought a third one yesterday, and promptly found the second one. 

I am about to hit the shops for some new boots.  My black knee high leather boots are leaking water.  The soles are coming adrift, and I'm not sure they can be fixed.  They haven't had a lot of wear and I'm very fond of them.   However they are 37 years old.  They are classic design and never go out of fashion.

I wondered if anyone else had shoes or boots as old as this?  Do let me know!

18 comments:

  1. From your comments about umbrellas and leaky boots I'm concluding that it's raining a lot in the UK...elementary my dear Watson :) Here in Istanbul the weather is dry but cold, winter has definitely arrived.

    I can't top 37 years for a pair of footwear, but it got me thinking about some of the shoes I've had in the past that I wish I still had now. I used to be a shoe addict and loved buying new ones. Now I stick with what's comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lilli. Yes there's been a lot of rain and I'm mostly looking like a drowned rat.

      I'm with you on comfort. I also used to have a passion for shoes, but now it's just flat and easy to walk in.

      Delete
  2. Staying with your friend sounds like a good solution to the overcrowding problem, Ayak, and I'm sure you'll all enjoy your time together more because of it.

    I don't have any boots as such, but my fleece-lined wellies are getting on a bit.:-) I also wore out my two favourite pairs of comfortable shoes within a few months of each other recently and am on the hunt for replacements - not the easiest task with my awkward feet. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have awkward feet Perpetua so don't enjoy looking for new shoes, but I did manage to find some boots today.

      Delete
  3. My husband has a pair of Church brogues he bought in 1980 - they've been resoled once but are still as good a new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty good going BtoB. I think the quality of shoes made these days isn't as good as it once was.

      Delete
  4. Reading your post...I don't blame you for not wanting to sleep on the sofa....especially if it congested with Christmas. But you will miss Santa when he comes to visit on the 24th....LOL. I'm sure your daughter just enjoys you being there in the UK with her no matter where you stay.
    Wow!!!! 37 years old your boots. They sure don't make them as well nowadays, unless you pay an arm and leg for them. But who has money for those. My daughter bought $400 black knee high boots at Macy's last year and the zipper is not working well, just hope they last this year.
    I always buy umbrellas for a buck at the Dollar Stores here.....some last quite a long time and some not..... if I lose them I'm not worried....
    Enjoy the rest of your stay and I hope the weather lets some sun shine. we too have a rainy week but better then the snow we use to get.
    ....take care.XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica. I'm going to stay at my daughter's on the 24th to make sure I don't miss Santa!

      I don't buy expensive umbrellas either, because I invariably lose them.

      Not quite so much rain today and not as cold as the last few days, I'm pleased to say.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure the move is a sensible one...hope it all works smoothly, especially as those gorgeous children start to get even more excited as Christmas approaches.
    I am impressed with the 37 year old boots. I have some that are 10 years old, which I will have repaired forever, as I love them so much..... but 37 years is really amazing. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the move was a sensible one Janice. I'm getting some much needed sleep now.

      I'm quite sad about my old boots. But they seem to be beyond repair so am happy to have found a replacement pair.

      Delete
  6. My boots and shoes don't seem to last very long. I do have umbrellas that blow inside out regularly though. Must be a shock for you having such a wet visit.
    I think you were wise using your friend's house to sleep in though..... very wise.
    Enjoy the rest of your holiday. It gallops by so fast.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to look like a drowned rat most of the time Maggie. Yes this holiday is going way too fast..but I am enjoying every minute.

      Delete
  7. So Happy you all found a solution that works! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Kelleyn. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your lovely family xx

      Delete
  8. Happy to hear you found a good solution to the space issue...

    The oldest pair of boots I have were bought in 1994. Beautiful, soft leather ankle boots. Unfortunately they were stuck together with duct tape when they were in storage and some of the leather came off with the tape. I'm sure a boyaci could fix them but I don't have much opportunity to wear high heeled ankle boots in Selcuk. Even though they are comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm sure they could be fixed omentide, and very cheaply of course..but no high heeled ankle boots in Selcuk don't really go do they?

      The soles on my old ones could have been fixed I think but the problem was that water was also soaking through the leather on top of the boots too, so beyond repair I'm afraid.

      Delete
  9. It's not easy being in each others space continually for that length of time so I'm glad that you had your friends kind offer to fall back on!

    Hope your having a great time and that you keep hold of your umbrellas :-). Oh, and good luck with the boot hunt!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I now have one decent pair of leather boots and a very cheap pair which will be ok in the rain..so I'm happy.

      The sleeping arrangement is working out well for everyone x

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x