Pages

Monday, 7 January 2013

Blowing away the cobwebs

The weather is changing.  The temperature has dropped quite dramatically in the last day or so.  No rain at the moment, which is good, and it's not windy, so even though we can still sit outside, we need to wrap up well.

Last year I found some duvet covers in Kipa in Bodrum that I really liked.  They were a bit too expensive for me at the time, but when I popped in there a month or so later they had been reduced to half price, so I snapped up a couple of sets.

I had been using blankets and sheets for years and intended to buy a new duvet as soon as I could.  However I discovered that an old patterned quilt that I had actually fitted inside the new duvet covers. But I'm now waking up at around 3am because I am cold.  We needed a thicker duvet.

We did think about renting a car yesterday.  Rates are very cheap at this time of year.  The plan was to drive over to Bodrum and check out prices of duvets, maybe have some lunch.  We needed a day out.  

Mr A was convinced that if we wrapped up well, we could go on the motorbike.  I had my doubts but I went along with it.  I looked a lot like the Michelin man in the many layers of clothes I put on, and I made sure I had a scarf wrapped around my mouth under my crash helmet, so that the cold air wouldn't aggravate my aching teeth.

We browsed most of the supermarkets in Bodrum, had lunch in the Midtown shopping centre..delicious kofte with fried potatoes and peppers...excellent value at 5 lira each.   There were quite a lot of duvets to choose from.  The prices varied enormously...from 46 lira to 250 lira.  But there appeared to be no difference in the thickness/warmth.  None of them were thicker than our old quilt.  So we bought the cheapest one, which is now inside the cover together with the old quilt...and it's perfect.

I definitely needed my warm bed when we returned.  The journey back on the motorbike reduced me to a block of ice.  I couldn't feel my legs, they were so cold. 

But on a positive note, the fresh air really helped to clear my sinuses for an hour or two, so well worth it.

18 comments:

  1. The weather's very cold here in Istanbul this week and we're expecting more snow. I can't quite get my bed right, it's very frustrating! I'm either a little too cold or a little too hot...I spend most of the night pulling the covers up or pushing them down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling only too well Lilli. Thankfully with the extra duvet, it's perfect at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Brrr! I feel cold just thinking about that motorcycle trip, Ayak, but it had good results. We often use two thinner duvets instead of one thick one and it works fine. I do hope the sinus problem clears up completely before long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cold Perpetua but it did help. Another trip into Milas on the bike today cleared my head again.

      Delete
  3. hehehehe....too funny, you looking like the Michelin Tire guy.....all wrapped up. How did you manage to bring back a duvet on the motor bike????? You should have wrapped yourself up in it, on your way home....
    Sounds like you had a nice day out and some yummy lunch with kofte's.
    I just remembered when I was at my Mother in Laws in Izmir she gave me a cotton packed duvet and it was so heavy but thin that I could not even turn around. It was like a lead blanket.
    Enjoy your new duvet....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The duvet was wedged between Mr A and I on the bike Erica, so it was like a cushsion..quite comfortable actually.

      I suspect your MIL's duvet was one of the home-made ones? They are really heavy.

      Delete
    2. .....yes it was home-made, they have some cotton farms so I guess they got it from there.....funny this came up because my sister in law yesterday mentioned on the phone that when we come to Izmir she will give us those darn cotton blankets to use. UGH!....and not too bring anything with us.

      Delete
    3. Oh dear. I don't envy you. We have one that was made by Mr A's grandmother. He loves it but I hate it!

      Delete
  4. I'm not showing this to Mr. Fly...he'll have Danilo take me out on the motorbike next time I complain about my sinuses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know Fly...could be fun!

      Delete
  5. Brave, Ayak, very brave! It does present a comical image. Hope you've warmed up a little now - I know how it feels when the temperature drops. I need to move about a bit as my feet are feeling decidedly chilly up here in my daughter's room where our computer has been lodging over Christmas. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave or very stupid Annie! Oh nothing worse than cold feet. I have socks on day and night during the winter.

      Delete
  6. I too had an image of you and Mr A with a duvet wedged between you on the bike. Its a shame it didn't keep you warm on the trip back... hope the sinus and teeth problems are sorted now.Now of course, I am imagining Fly on a motor bike too...I think she'd love it...just another adventure. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have made more sense to wrap myself in the duvet on the way back Janice!

      Yes I think I can also imagine Fly on a motorbike. I'm sure she'd absolutely love it!

      Delete
  7. Our bike is in the garage for winter. We are fair weather bikers, it seems. Though we did use the bike daily in London.

    If you could get me the fabric and the size, I would happily run a duvet cover up for you. Ours was made to fit a cheap silicon yorgan in fabric that made Ashley's eyes bleed. Still keeping warm under that though I think it won't be long till the Tire yorgan comes out of its vacuum bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very kind offer Hilary. I saw yours on FB..and a very good job you made of it. Hmmm...some of those cheap quilts are really garish aren't they? The Turks do seem to love bright colours and patterns!

      Delete
  8. I think it is a good idea to put 2 thin quilts inside a duvet cover.
    I also put 2 blankets on top of my duvet. I like to be snuggly wrapped up.
    Many people are wearing *Onesies* over here. In case you've never heard of them, they are like giant baby-grows for children & adults. A bit chilly if you need the toilet & have to take it all off.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes sense to put two quilts inside the cover Maggie, easy enough to remove one when the weather gets a little warmer.

      Oh yes I've seen the onesies. My son in law bought my daughter one for Christmas. Of course it's easier for the young ones to get out of them to go to the toilet. We oldies find it more difficult because when we need to go it's more urgent! Not sure I'd be able to get out of one in time!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x