Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Secondhand furniture

In all the years I've lived in Turkey we have been reluctant to throw things away, if there's any chance that they can be re-cycled.

We  like to browse secondhand shops and have picked up many furniture bargains.  Mr A also has a tendency to find things dumped as rubbish, which he will pick up and bring home.  I have never seen skips here, but I'm sure if we lived in the UK, he would spend half his life rummaging in skips.

We would never consider buying electrical items from the secondhand shops here.  They really are not worth it.  Turks tend to use white goods and other electrical appliances until they are on their last legs, so it's rare to find something that's not faulty or rusty.

Last week we found a small secondhand shop in one of the back streets of Milas, and spotted a wrought iron table with a glass top.  It was very dirty, but it was in good condition.  The man wanted 35 lira for it, but with a bit of Mr A's expert haggling we managed to secure it for 20 lira.  We cleaned it up and here's the result:  (excuse the blurry pics please...a mixture of strong sunlight and my shaky hands)



In our garden we had a wrought iron stand that contained a flowerpot.  Mr A had found this dumped last year.   It was a bit rusty but Mr A cleaned it up and painted it with some black metal paint he had in the shed..  He then went to a glass shop in Milas to get a piece of glass cut to make a top at a cost of 15 lira.  So it has now become a smaller coffee table to match the one we bought in Milas.



We now have two lovely coffee tables which have cost us a total of 35 lira (approx £12.50).  Not bad! 

He is going through another of his woodwork phases at the moment...it keeps him occupied...although I have forbidden him to make any more shelves!  He has been out in the shed hammering and sawing for the last couple of days.  I have no idea what he is making but no doubt he will surprise me with the result quite soon.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes I'm very pleased with them greygirl x

      Delete
  2. Nothing like a bit of hunter gathering is there!

    Fingers crossed for the woodwork project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was more shelves after all Fly..but for the shed rather than the house...phew!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful looking table, so French looking.....I always rummage through those type of shops.:-) Never know what you can find.
    My home is filled with antiques....except the appliances.
    We have yard sales, garage sales and tag sales here every Saturday morning. I'm up really early and hit the homes in certain areas.When my sister in law came from Turkey here she thought it was not nice buying stuff off someones driveway....but got use to it. Over the years I have found great antique finds and managed to sell them off at higher prices.
    Too bad Mr. A is too far from me....I sure need some shelves in my home.
    Like they say "one man's trash is another man's treasure".XOXO Keep looking you might find another treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great pastime Erica, and I do love finding a bargain. Well done you for managing to make a profit on some of your finds!

      Delete
  4. Good buy - most of the second hand stuff I've seen here is as dear as new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very often the case BtoB, and if I didn't have Mr A with me and his haggling skills I wouldn't find any bargains.

      Delete
  5. There's nowt wrong with secondhand furniture as we say oop north, Ayak.:-) DH and I furnished our first home entirely with secondhand furniture and one or two bits of it are still in use 40 years on. Your tables look lovely and I'm sure Mr A needs lots of shelves in his shed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite a fan of secondhand furniture Perpetua. Actually I quite like secondhand clothes too and often browse the charity shops when I'm in England. And Mr A can put as many shelves as he likes in the shed, as long as we have no more in the house!

      Delete
  6. It's good to have a handy husband ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on the bargains!

    Our neighbours have taken a lot of our original furniture, including an exterior door which was surplus to requirement after we had the garage built. It's now installed in his top storey extension and seems to fit better than the one that never quite fitted before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it nice to see others make good use of stuff we no longer need omentide. I bet your neighbours were very pleased.

      Delete
  8. The tables look really expensive and I am all for recycling. Well done to find such treasure.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. I am very pleased with them xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x