Pages

Thursday, 10 January 2013

The Singing Dentist

I can't say I enjoy going to the dentist.  In fact I do get quite anxious.  I particularly dislike injections and drilling, and I faced a fair amount of both today for my first two fillings.

My new dentist appears to be a bit of an entertainer.   I think he feels that his performances help to relax his patients.

He sensed that I was nervous, and decided that it would be a good idea to play a video on the screen which is right next to the treatment chair.

He fiddled about with his computer so that he could find what he informed me was his absolutely favourite film of all time.   At last, it appeared on the screen.   "The Sound of Music".   (groan).

OK everyone has seen this film haven't they?  You can't have avoided it, whatever your age. It appears so often on TV.  I've been forced to sit through it hundreds of times over the years, and I'm afraid I do find it very irritating...particularly the songs which, once heard keep going around in your head for hours on end.

My dentist (whose name is Erdem) played it at full volume whilst he drilled away at my teeth.  Every so often he would pause at certain points in the film to exclaim excitedly "I love this bit...hahaha it's so funny".

But best (or worst) of all he sang along to every song.  He was word perfect so he has clearly watched the film many times.

I can't ever remember sitting in a dentist's chair, having my teeth filled, with the urge to giggle.  It was certainly a distraction, and I forgot all about being anxious.

He apologised when he had finished with my teeth that we hadn't managed to see the entire film, but promised we could watch it again at my next appointment next Monday......can't wait!  Hmmm......

22 comments:

  1. Dont know if I would feel less anxious or more anxious watching the Sound of Music for the ??? time hahahahaha. Sounds an experience tho xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just made me want to laugh greygirl, which I guess is better than shaking with fear!

      Delete
  2. There had to be a catch! But I'd never thought of a dentist torturing you with The Sound of Music....there should be a law against it....!

    I remember it appearing regularly on T.V. to the horror of my father who found it as bad as his previous horror...Gone with the Wind - referred to contemptuously as mother settled into her armchair ready to watch it for the umpteenth time as
    Depart with a Fart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depart with a Fart...haha that is so funny Fly. I agree the Sound of Music is a kind of torture..but less painful than fillings, so I think I'll tolerate it next time. I wonder what film he has in store for me for my 3rd appointment...I dread to think.

      Delete
  3. That made me laugh!
    I'm really nervous of having treatment at the dentist but I go for check ups to try to avoid any big problems. Sometimes that doesn't work though and a filling falls out or something.
    Bet you are really looking forward to the next instalment!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I just can't wait till Monday Maggie! He really is a very funny man. He tries to make jokes in English which make him laugh even though they're really not funny at all! Who would have thought a trip to the dentist could be so entertaining!

      Delete
  4. Oh Ayak, we laughed put loud at this, it is so Turkey, we can't wait to be back this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have laughed out loud if I hadn't had his hands and drill in my mouth auntiegwen. It is very Turkey. If you're feeling a bit miserable something will surely happen to brighten your day xx

      Delete
  5. I love the Sound of Music. I should come with you - I know all the words too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of you singing it to me while I have my teeth filled BtoB? What are you trying to do to me?

      Delete
  6. I'll come with Annie! Love the Sound of Music, know all the words - it's probably the only way you'd get me to a dentist too! Have fun. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie I now have this silly picture in my head of you all gathered around the dentist's chair while I'm being drilled, all singing "the hills are alive...."

      Delete
  7. That did make me laugh, Ayak, and I'm glad it had the desired effect of making you forget to be anxious. I'm with BtoB in liking The Sound of Music, but can imagine how I'd feel if my dentist tried to make me feel better by playing heavy metal music while he drilled my teeth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Perpetua, heavy metal music would be much worse I think! I did like the Sound of Music once upon a time, the first half a dozen times I saw it. But from then on it just annoyed me. The funniest thing was my middle-aged dentist singing along to "I am 16 going on 17..." haha!

      Delete
  8. Oh, wonderful... I´ve laughed out loud, also when reading the comments. Haha..I´ll join the singing choir by the dentist´s chair, Ayak. I too love the Sound of music. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Selda..what have I started? I'll never get my teeth filled if you all turn up!

      Delete
  9. That sounds like torture to me! Hope the visit went okay, despite the film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The treatment was good Deniz. I'll just nee4d earplugs next time x

      Delete
  10. What an a amazing find this dentist has turned out to be. Perhaps you could take along your own DVDs for him to play while you are prisoner in the chair. Hope the next appointment goes well. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah now that is a good idea Janice. I might just do that. Thanks xx

      Delete
  11. Oh this has made me laugh - it wouldn't happen in England would it! One of the things I really admire about Turkish people is their spontaneity and lack of self-consciousness. We Brits worry far too much about what others will think of us, whereas Turks... well, they just go for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilli you are so right about this. I find it often with Mr A. He will suddenly do or say something that will make me cringe with embarrassment, but he doesn't care at all...and nor does anyone else!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x