Thursday, 28 February 2013

Ayak's animal sanctuary

So, no chickens for a while yet, but our garden is gradually becoming an animal sanctuary. Since typing half of this post last night, then being interrupted by another loss of internet, we now have two dogs turning up at the gate for food.

 Mr A already feeds a dog in the village as often as we have scraps. One of these dogs who turned up actually belongs to the shepherdess down the lane. You may recall that I stopped her from chaining him up. I wormed him and put a flea collar on him and fed him every day for a fair number of weeks, finally encouraging the shepherdess to take over.  I call him Sammy.

His companion is a bitch who has clearly had puppies fairly recently (I'm calling her Megan), but Mr A has searched and we cannot find her pups anywhere.  Judging by her condition, I'm pretty certain the puppies wouldn't have survived.

I have been feeding them every day for the last four days.  They turned up again this morning at 8am.  Sammy is looking pretty good.  I think the shepherdess has taken my advice and he is thriving.  Megan is a worry though.  I make sure that I give Sammy just a little food because I don't want to leave him out, but I give a more substantial amount to Megan.

Mr A spoke to the shepherdess yesterday and told her we were feeding Sammy and asked her to share Sammy's food with Megan when she feeds him each day, and she agreed.

I searched Milas for the cheapest dog biscuits and managed to find them for 5 lira a kilo, but when finances permit, we will buy large sacks because this is more economical.  They are small biscuits so the cats are also eating them.  They are settling in nicely in their new home by the way.

We also found bird seed for the bird table, but there are still not too many birds about.  I guess it will take a bit of time for them to find the table, and hopefully use the nesting box too.

Poppy is quite bemused by all this.   She rushes to the gate to "chat" to Sammy and Megan when they arrive, and there's lots of tail wagging going on from all of them.   Poppy also stands on the wall and watches while I feed the cats.  She's wary of them, barking but not getting too close.

I never planned all this of course...it just happens doesn't it?   One look into the eyes of a hungry animal and I'm hooked.

24 comments:

  1. I am enjoying the ongoing saga of the development of your animal sanctuary.... I think it'll be goats and maybe one of Dursune's cows next. You and Mr A are so kind and generous with your time and resources. My bird tree....where I handg all sorts of bird treats is just outside off terrace here in Caunes, and thismorning I have watched dozens of birds....clearly pleased we are back ! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love goats Janice. I suggested the idea of getting one to Mr A because I thought they would keep the weeds down but he said they would also eat everything else too.

      Hope you're having a lovely time in Caunes..you deserve it xxx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. BtoB, you have no idea how much I would love a donkey!

      Delete
    2. I think I had some idea - a certain craving comes through when ever you write about donkeys.

      Delete
    3. I didn't realise it was so obvious BtoB xx

      Delete
  3. You thought of putting a just giving button on the side of your blog. Feeding all these strays is too much money, maybe others would like to help you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It5's a thoughtful idea KV. Thankyou, but I would be so much happier if people decided to help animals in need where they live. It is my choice to do it here, but I also try to get the locals involved too. Both my neighbours Dursune and Sevke have promised to save their leftover food to feed the dogs and cats. Maybe I'm a little obsessed with animals, but I feel they are as entittled to a good life on this earth as we are.

      Delete
  4. Ayak.....you have a big warm heart feeding those poor lil' animals. ((HUGS))hope to see some pics later if you can manage to snap a photo of Poppy's new buddies.

    I'll tell you coming from North America we don't have stray animals roaming the streets or looking starved..........so when I first got married and went to Turkey and saw lots of strays on the streets I cried for the first week till my husband almost shipped me back home. This was many many moons ago.....now I noticed it's a bit better and people like you and others are doing something about it.....especially our neighbour esra in Izmir she belongs to this Animal Group and is out there with lots of sacks of food and looking after them....
    Take care....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how upset you were Erica. It's something that I have never really got used to in all the years I've lived here. You are right, people here are doing so much more for the strays, like your friend Esra. Thank goodness, but there's still a long way to go.

      Delete
  5. Super of the two of you...and even better that you're persuading people to do it for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a struggle to get people here to change their attitude towards animals Helen, but even if you can change one person, it's worth it.

      Delete
  6. Hi Ayak.
    Sounds like you are doing a great job. Would it be possible to bring Megan into PetHane vet in Bodrum to have her neutered so we can break the puppy cycle? There would be no charge to you except bringing her in and home again.
    Let me know if this works for you off line.
    Thanks,
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John. What a very kind offer. The only transport we have is a motorbike, and we live near Milas. Our village is just past the airport...so it's quite a distance. I will try to see if I can sort something out and email you. Thankyou so much x

      Delete
  7. Ok will wait to hear back from you.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew it would happen lol. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me too well greygirl x

      Delete
  9. This sounds about right, Ayak. I think the animals in your neighbourhood know exactly where to come. There'll be a donkey soon enough! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be at all surprised Annie x

      Delete
  10. Animals have a sixth sense about those who will help and not reject them, Ayak and I foresee your sanctuary continuing to expand. Most of the cats we've had in the past have just turned up, but there don't seem to be stray or feral cats around here in Wales nowadays, probably because of the stress on neutering. I do hope you can take John up on his kind offer for Megan's sake.

    Although I love having cats and kittens about, it distresses me to see how many litters the cats near us in France seem to have and yet no-one will take responsibility for neutering them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real problem here Perpetua, as I've said many times. I wish I could take John up on his offer but we cannot get Megan over to Bodrum. Mr A has asked around the village if anyone would take us in their car, but it's like asking for the moon to get a Turk to allow a stray dog in their car.

      I also think she may have her pups well hidden somewhere, as the didn't turn up at all yesterday and only arrived late this afternoon. I'm reluctant to remove her for neutering if her pups are relying on her at the moment. Because we haven't seen them, we have no idea how old they could be. So I want to be certain we find the right time to get her spayed.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x