Saturday, 2 February 2013

Normal service...


.....has been resumed. (Whatever counts for normal around here).

The water started flowing properly on Day 4 (Thursday) late afternoon.

The phone line started working again on Thursday evening.  

I do like to attempt to sort out problems myself when it comes to the phone and internet.  It should be pretty straightforward because when you phone TTNet customer service you have the option to talk to someone in English.  Although the level of English understanding by the customer service reps varies enormously, and I often find myself having a conversation in half English/half Turkish.

If I need to deal with a telephone problem, there is one man in Milas Turk Telekom office (who happens to be the manager) who speaks reasonable English and he has been very helpful in the past.

So when the phone line went dead, a week ago last Thursday, and it also had an effect on the internet connection, I started off with TTNet in Istanbul.  Over the course of a week I made several calls, and of course got a different person each time, meaning I had to keep repeating myself, in "Turklish", because they don't seem to keep a record of previous conversations.

Even though I had been promised that the fault had been reported to the engineers, nothing was being done to fix the problem.  I tried to get hold of the manager at Milas, with no success.

Finally, Mr A took over.  He deals with it his way...which is quite different to mine.  I always try to be polite and civil on the phone, even when I'm seething, because I've always believed (at least when I lived in England) that this was the best way to get things done.   I worked in a call centre many years ago, and I have to admit to being much more helpful to polite people, and actually putting the rude, offensive complainers to the bottom of the list.

Mr A shouts....on the phone.  He gets angry, and shouts some more.   He shouted at TTNet.  He shouted at Milas Turk Telekom.   I hate listening to it.  I'm pretty sure the whole village could hear him shouting and I was sure it would do no good at all.

Clearly, people respond differently to shouting here.    My being polite for almost a week had no effect at all.    Mr A's method works.....phone and internet fixed within a day.

18 comments:

  1. Ah. I admit I've broken down and attempted the shouting method before. Unfortunately, it does seem to work better sometimes. I just feel like an idiot and my Turkish breaks down when I get all excited. And sometimes you have to keep calling until you get someone who's susceptible to shouting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stranger, I can imagine the person on the other end of Mr A's shouting is stunned into silence. I think I spoke too soon with this post, because the phone is dead again as of 5 minutes ago...or maybe one of the recipients of the shouting is getting their revenge!

      Delete
  2. I have to laugh, I work in telecoms myself and started my working life on a switchboard. My 'Customers' are mainly the internal staff nowadays but, like you, the 'shouters' don't get very far. I respond a lot better (and quicker) to people who get their point across calmly. Sometimes though, I have called a place and I compare them to my staff and think 'Nah I want to shout now!!!!' Possibly the language difference doesn't help. A Turkish person being shouted at in Turkish at least knows there is an unhappy customer on the line!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the problem Carol. I don't think I could shout in Turkish! The Turks are a nation of shouters..at least they tend to speak VERY loudly. When I first moved here I used to think they were all getting angry with each other, but most of the time they aren't!

      Delete
  3. Glad everything is up and going.....must have been real annoying. I'm like you...I'm seething but I'm talking nicely to get what I need done properly.
    I live in an English language country but when it comes to services like the internet, your 'help call' center is located in India or the Phillipines.....and trust me I feel like not talking calmly to them. Because they never can fix the problem, I have to go through a bunch of them before it can be solved..... mainly I just can't understand some of their very very strong accents. It is so annoying and everyone I know complains about it.
    Have a good Saturday.....it is -10 cel. here and snowing BRRRRRR. I feel like a popsicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something very irritating about call centres Erica. They are so impersonal and yes they are often located in other countries, so strong accents can be a problem. Do try to stay warm in those cold temps xx

      Delete
  4. I used to be polite about things when in France...but discovered that that usually meant they thought you were a soft touch...so after that I went for the jugular from the start.
    Quite a culture shock!

    Here, being polite seems to work...things sort of lumber into motion....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have on the odd occasion lost my cool in the phone Helen, but then I end up apologising, which defeats the object really. I need to toughen up!

      Delete
  5. I gave up the polite approach years ago. Only rude and shouty gets results. I have to remember to revert to my naturally polite self when I'm back in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rude and shouty does get results here BtoB. It must be a lot easier for you with your fluent Turkish though. I think I would just end up sounding a bit foolish!

      Delete
  6. I think we just have to adapt when abroad, Ayak, however much it goes against the grain. I was brought up always to be polite and would find it really hard to shout at someone on the phone, but sometimes needs must... I do hope your phone isn't off again for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a lot of adapting at times Perpetua. It has taught me not to take anything for granted though!

      Delete
  7. The Spanish shout too and have no idea of customer care - it seems expected that customers will be rude so the people at the other end often try and get their dig in first! I always try to be polite and have reasonable Spanish to attempt 'cutting' from time to time - but usually, like in Turkey, my husband, who can shout very loud, gets the message across. Such a shame.
    At least everything's working again - for now! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true Annie and a shame that shouting seems the only solution.

      We had the phone line back for less than 24 hours and its gone again. A couple more shouty phone calls from Mr A and we have a promise that it will be fixed tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. Glad things are back to normal Ayak. Frustrating as it seems....sometimes I guess being stroppy can work. In our house, I'm the stroppy one, who will become exasperated with poor customer service, husband Mark, is always entirely reasonable, and certainly, in the UK, manages to salvage situations when I have given up trying. In France, as his french improves.... it will be interesting to see how he retains his calmness. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Janice, it will be interesting to see if he can remain calm in France when having to deal with problems. I wonder if his calmness will work there?

      Delete
  9. Ai! I laughed out loud with recognition of the polite vs. yelling thing. I can very much relate to this in my marriage as well. Glad to hear that "normal" is somewhat on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Liz. Well hopefully "normal" service will be resumed yet again tomorrow. And yes we have the shouty Mr A in our marriage too. My response is to either remain quiet or laugh, depending on my mood. Either way it tends to quieten him after a short time.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x