Pages

Friday, 22 February 2013

The "Bird" Table

Recovering well from his accident, and the resultant aches and pains, Mr A continues with his garden landscaping.  This is all dependant on the weather of course.  One day we have sunshine, the next storms and rain, but nevertheless he has achieved a great deal over the past few weeks.

He has erected chicken wire on the top of the drystone wall he built last year, around the entire front of the garden.

Posts have been put into cement and stone around the top part of the garden, to which chicken wire will be fixed.  To make this secure, he has also had to rebuild the wall right at the back where it borders Sevke's garden.  This will be the enclosed area for the chickens, when we eventually get them.


I wanted "small" steps down to the front garden.  Mr A has built very large ones.  OK I thought they were a bit much at first, but I'm getting used to them.

The concreted area under which lies the septic tank, has now been extended, to form the base for a new gazebo, and metal posts have been erected.  Mr A plans to collect bamboo canes from the village and make a "roof".  A grape vine already exists to one side of the planned gazebo and this will be encouraged to grow over the top. 


Some time ago I was talking about bird tables.  We looked through hundreds of pictures on the internet, and I settled on this one.  "No problem" said Mr A, "I can make one exactly the same".

The strange object on the wall in the picture below is what he actually made (out of stone and cement).  It's actually rather nice in a rustic kind of way.  But it is so heavy that I can't even move it, let alone lift it.  It would certainly be impossible to put it on a stand for the birds to use.


So now it has become something entirely different.   I had been putting bread and scraps on it for the birds, along with water, but a couple of days ago I noticed that some cats had taken rather a shine to it.   They were desperately hungry, so I put some of Poppy's small dog biscuits on it.  The food disappeared in no time.

I now have three cats to feed.  (If you feed any animal once, in my opinion, you have to continue to do so).

So I now have a cat table.   Maybe the bird table will follow in due course...who knows?

15 comments:

  1. Hahaha, LOVE that you have a cat table!! And isn't Mr A good with his hands! I would hate to think of the mess that Chris would make if he ever tried to make anything of that sort!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Carol, a cat table is a novel idea isn't it? And Mr A does make a hell of a mess I can assure you!

      Delete
  2. Your garden landscaping Mr. A is designing is coming along quite nicely. Love the rustic look,and I quite like the stairs....he even did them in a very creative way. If you are short on space you could maybe put some planted herbs in pots along the sides of the big bottom step.....

    About feeding animals or birds.....I try and feed the birds but with these freezing temperatures I haven't seen a birdie in months. But the village of squirrels I have in my backyard come around all day and I'm talking like a dozen or so at once.....this will bring trouble because squirrels get nasty if you miss a day. They told me before at Animal Control not to feed them because they get annoying. They are so cute and cold that I just keep buying nuts and things for them....how could I not feed them.
    Stay well....can hardly wait to see your garden in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Erica...no sooner had I blogged about the bird table, than Mr A has now produced one...pics to follow!

      Good idea about the pots of herbs.

      I agree...how can you not feed hungry animals? I just can't help myself xx

      Delete
  3. omg Ayak you will soon be a fully fledged rescue centre lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not far wrong greygirl. Apart from Poppy, Mr A is feeding a couple of dogs in the village, and now we have 3 cats to feed (I'm sure that will increase) as well as the birds.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing bird table Mark II....Mark I was pretty spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the steps.... Oh, sometimes I wish we had a garden! And the cat table... Of course, the cats round here think we keep a bed under cover just for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omentide, sometimes I think I would swop my garden for your lovely roof terrace. I'm sure the cats love it too.

      Delete
  6. Love the bird, sorry, cat table AND the steps. He's doing a great job! And keeping us amused. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he gives me something to blog about Annie xx

      Delete
  7. A cat table! Love it. Ayak. I too feed the cats when they come to our French house.

    Mr A is so hard-working and ingenious, even when not everything works out quite as planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would have thought it Perpetua? Maybe cat tables will be the next "must have" for the garden.

      Delete
  8. Looks as though you are going to get your wish.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x