Pages

Monday, 18 February 2013

Waiting by the phone

For the second time in the past few weeks, Mr A had a day's work at a carpet shop in Kusadasi.  He only gets paid commission if he sells something, but they pay for his petrol, so it's worth a try.

Unfortunately, he sold nothing on either occasion, but they do want him to work there this year for which he will be paid a salary.   Although neither of us is particularly happy about him going away to work again, earning money is more important.  And the season in Kusadasi (because of the cruise ships) is longer than that in Bodrum.

So he set off this morning (just managing to dodge the rain) and phoned me mid afternoon to say that he was about to head for home.

A couple of hours later he phoned, sounding rather upset, to say that he had crashed the motorbike.  He was still near Kusadasi and apparently the back wheel flew off and down he went.  He went to the Kusadasi hospital and had x-rays and there were no broken bones but he is badly bruised.  He left with a prescription for pain relief.

Later this evening he was getting more intense pain when breathing so returned to the hospital.  They gave him an injection for the pain but couldn't do another x-ray until tomorrow morning.  He has a friend with a pansyon (guest house) so he is staying there tonight.

The motorbike needs considerable work. Back wheel completely wrecked, smashed windscreen, plus other damage which can't really be seen in this photo.  It will be costly....but it's just a lump of metal after all...and Mr A could have come off much worse than he did. 

I haven't had much to blog about this week, and was going to do a post this evening moaning about the state of the garden and how Mr A has yet again gone completely against my wishes.  But that all pales into insignificance now.

We haven't been getting on too well recently.  I think largely due to the stress caused by him being out of work for so long, but something like this makes you realise what's important.

So I doubt I will sleep tonight because I am stuck here, unable to do anything useful,  other than waiting by the phone, just in case he rings.

29 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Mr A's accident, plus his unemployment, plus the damage to the motor bike. I know what it is like not to have a job - I suffered five redundancies in my time before I went self employed. The main thing is having good health, as Mrs Bluelights and I know only too well. But no-one can help worrying about few work prospects and the stress that makes on the family. I do hope he finds something soon which he likes and is remunerative. You are in my thoughts and prayers ~ Eddie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right that good health is the most important thing in life. Thankyou so much for your kind words Eddie xxx

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear this. You must be mightily worried.
    Hope that the phone call comes through really soon and that Mr A will be feeling much better. He must be suffering from shock.
    Hope the bike can be repaired easily. They are really nasty things...... as we know only too well in our family when son could have lost a leg in an accident some years ago, but fortunately didn't.
    Its a great pity that there seems such a shortage of work for Mr A. Hope something more permanent will show up pretty soon.
    At least he is still alive!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. Although I love the freedom you feel on a motorbike, I am constantly aware of how vulnerable you are, and how dangerous they can be. I'm not sure I want him to keep it,when it's repaired.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Mr A's accident, Ayak, and am glad it wasn't worse. Coming on top of the lack of work and the stress you've both been under, it must seem like the last straw. Please give Mr A my very best wishes for a speedy recovery and I'm sending you lots of hugs. I'm another praying sort of person, so you will both be in my thoughts and prayers. Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I don't pray Perpetua, I really do appreciate those who do so for us...thankyou xx

      Delete
  4. I do hope it's better news in the morning.
    Waiting and worrying by the 'phone is no fun.

    Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Fly. I'll be glad when he's home x

      Delete
  5. Hang in there! Praying he will be ok and that he will find steady work soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I told you about my hubby's bike accident by Lake Bafa, so I know how you feel when you get that telephone call. Thank goodness Mr A is OK. I hope there is good news today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you did BtoB and I'll never forget it. I was actually thinking about it last night and imagining how you must have felt with that call...thank god it wasn't accurate!

      He is OK. He will be on his way back home today xx

      Delete
  7. Sending you both much love, so sincerely hope your luck changes xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about Mr. A's accident. But thank God he's okay and was not hurt more badly. Praying that you will at least get some good news this week...hang in there.XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it could have been much worse. Thankyou Erica xxx

      Delete
  9. Geçmis olsun....

    Motorbike accidents are so worrying. And soft tissue injury can be very painful. I hope he feels better soon.

    Please, please make sure that the bike is properly repaired and safe before anyone rides it. Ashley is saying that a wheel should not fall off...

    Let us know if there is anything we can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. Ashley is right it shouldn't fall of and it's very worrying. He had the tyre repaired last week in Milas and I wonder if there is a connection?The bike has been replaced rather than repaired..update to follow.

      Delete
  10. Hope Mr A continues to get better. He is far more important than the bike.
    Old biker wisdom:
    Bikes can be replaced, people cannot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Yes the old biker wisdom is true xx

      Delete
  11. I missed this post yesterday and am so glad to hear that Mr A is on his way home - hopefully back now. Poor you both. Stress isn't good for relationships at all but as you say, when something bigger happens, priorities are reset again. I hope he has a swift recovery and that fortunes start to change for you soon. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he's back now Annie..thankyou for your kind words xx

      Delete
  12. This is not what you needed...agghhh....I do hope Mr A is better today, and has made his way back home safe and sound. It is these sorts of things that help you work out what is important...but I still hope the damage to the bike isn't as bad as you thought. Love to you both. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Janice. I think things are sent to try us..to see if we can survive anything!

      Delete
  13. Sorry to see this news. I am glad to hear that Mr A is OK as that it what is most important, but I do understand these things always seem to happen together and at the wrong time (stupid thing to say, there is never a right time for them). I have noticed though that when you hit the bottom of the barrel that is when things take a turn for the better.
    So I hope thing do for you both
    Thinking of you,
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Vicky. Of course the only way is up! xxx

      Delete
  14. I've only just read this, so apologies for the late post. Gecmis olsun! You've had some rotten luck lately, I do hope things start to improve for you both soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lilli...no apology necessary..thankyou for your goo wishes xx

      Delete
    2. Sorry Lilli..."good" not "goo"...keyboard keeps sticking!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x