Pages

Thursday, 21 March 2013

And then there were three....

....almost.  Dogs that is.  Well four if you count Poppy.

We are rescuing the dog (another bitch) who has been turning up at the gate occasionally since Megan and Sammy moved in.  I have mentioned her in previous posts.  Her name is Blondie.  She is gorgeous, but very thin.   She is also extremely timid and it has been taking a while to gain her confidence.  At first it was impossible to get anywhere near her to give her food, because she would run away with her tail between her legs, so I just had to tip food over the gate and keep my distance.

Gradually, we made physical contact, and yesterday we finally coaxed her into the garden.

Megan and Sammy have played with her outside the garden, but of course they have become territorial now and there were a few fights yesterday in the garden.  Blondie was upset, and managed to find a way to get out.  She was gone for hours.

Megan and Sammy are still in our main garden, sleeping at night in the sheltered front of the old house, while Mr A is working frantically to totally secure the back of the garden behind the house, where the shelter he built is situated.  The aim is to move them there when it's finished, and after they recover from their ops on Friday.

Last night Blondie was barking up the road and I went out to investigate with a torch and some biscuits.   I spent an hour or so trying to coax her into the back area and the shelter.  There is a gap there at the moment where Mr A is going to put a gate, and he has built some steps up to it from the road for ease of access.  When Mr A returned from the teahouse, he attempted to gain her confidence, whilst I was inside the house, leaning out of the spare bedroom window, which is next to the shelter, armed with biscuits.   Eventually, she came in, and settled down for the night.  We have gale force winds at the moment, so I was happy that all three were safe and warm, albeit in separate areas.

Sammy and Megan will have their ops tomorrow.   We collected vaccinations for Blondie from Mehmet yesterday, and we will administer these today.  She will have her op next week.  Mehmet is providing all treatment for Blondie free of charge, because he is delighted that we have rescued her.

We will leave Blondie to settle in "her" area, and when the other two have recovered from their ops, they will be moved there too, by which time she should feel more confident about her space, and hopefully they will all get along.

We were awoken at around 5am this morning because Blondie was barking furiously.   When Mr A went outside to investigate, he saw her chasing away a fox which was trying to get to Dursune's chickens.  She then returned to her shelter.   Dursune will be delighted.  Although bemused by all this at first, she has seen how well we look after the dogs and there is no need to be afraid of them. She is happy that their presence also makes her feel secure.   She has said she will gladly feed them if we are away.

Please, my dear blogging friends, stop me if I even so much as mention taking in any more dogs.  I think four is quite enough!

Blondie

16 comments:

  1. You are obviously doing a wonderful job Ayak. They are lucky to have you. I think it will be impossible for you to say no,if a fourth comes along: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right Westy. One look into the eyes of a hungry dog and I'm afraid I'm hooked :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm sure Karen started in the same way. Was it 70 she looks after now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did BtoB. However, she is younger and has more energy than me! I think it's over 80 dogs now. I don't know how she does it. Amazing woman.

      Delete
  3. You are so good Ayak they are truly lucky dogs to have you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are quite a handful greygirl...feeding time is a bit of a nightmare, trying to keep them apart!

      Delete
  4. Well, I'll try, ayak, but you and Mr A are so bighearted and kind that it won't be easy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm counting on you Perpetua, don't give up trying!

      Delete
  5. OK...no more dogs Ayak...did that help?!! How wonderful you're able to rescue the ones you have!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that helps, thankyou Theanne. We are fortunate to have the space for them here.

      Delete
  6. She is certainly very lovely - and extremely lucky. Do you think the word is out on the street where to go to get sympathy and biscuits? Just wait till after the ops. They may not be quite as keen when they find out what else you do to rescue dogs! (I heartily approve, by the way, but was just imagining a doggy conversation...!) Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Annie, I imagine the doggy conversations too, and I'm sure they spread the word about where to come. Mr A is actually going with them for the ops, and he said to me last night "Do you think they will hate me now?". I told him of course they won't, but secretly I'm glad it's him and not me...just in case!

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you could gain her confidence...especially after Megan and Sammy decided to be territorial.
    She'll have a quiet week to settle, then another after her op, so that, as you say, should settle things down.
    And if all else fails, get Poppy to restore order.

    wouldn't waste my breath trying to stop you...one look from a hungry dog and you're there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should mention Poppy restoring order Helen. She actually thinks she's in charge of them. She runs up and down the balcony barking at them, feeling big and brave because she's looking down at them. But when it comes to joining them, she then realises how much smaller she is and isn't quite so brave!

      Delete
  8. You are so kind Ayak.. I really admire how you take care of the dogs despite all the difficulties that you face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not hard to do when you love dogs so much...it's much harder to walk away from them xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x