Pages

Friday, 8 March 2013

As Victor Meldrew would say....

....I don't believe it!

I have been suffering with internet and phone problems since January.  Internet connection cutting in and out constantly, and phone line dead for days/weeks on end.

I have phoned TTNet and Turk Telekom every day, sometimes two or three times a day.  They listen.  I repeat the problem.  They say they will put in a report to the engineers, who will contact us.  We wait.  No-one contacts us.  I phone again...and so on.

I reached the end of my very short tether yesterday.  Mr A went into the Turk Telekom and TTNet offices in the morning.  I couldn't trust myself to go with him.  I am so angry I would have caused a scene and embarrassed myself.

They gave Mr A a new modem.  We only bought a new one from them two months ago.  I was pretty sure it wasn't a modem problem, but hey lets just humour them.

New modem installed.  Internet problem continued.  Phone line still dead.

I phoned TTNet in Istanbul yet again and really let rip.  I ranted and shouted like I've never done before.  I have demanded at least a reduction in my bills, if not compensation for the inconvenience.  I insisted that someone investigate the engineers in the Milas office and establish what it is they actually do...because they certainly don't seem to be fixing anything.


I threatened to complain to the chairman of the company and if necessary take it to the national newspapers.  I was informed by the poor girl on the other end of the phone that everything I had said was duly noted and would be acted upon.

Late yesterday afternoon we received a call from TTNet in Milas.  The Manager of TTNet along with a supervisor from Turk Telekom would be coming out to the house within the hour.

They arrived.   To avoid more rants from me, I let Mr A deal with them.   Within 15 minutes they established that the wires outside the house were damp.  They sorted them out and the phone is working and internet connection is restored. 

Apparently, these wires should not be outside the house, but inside.  Who put them there?  TTNet and Turk Telekom.  When are they coming to put them inside the house?  They don't know...sometime soon, they said.  They also said that if it rains in the meantime, it might be best if Mr A puts them inside.   My parting shot?  "What the bloody hell are we paying you for?"   Probably as well they didn't speak English!

Huh...damp wires...why on earth couldn't this simple 10 minute job have been done almost two months ago.   I don't believe it!

14 comments:

  1. But maybe...just may be ..this important people visitation will have identified the problem...and it will finally get sorted. Good luck, and well done for ranting when appropriate, and staying calm(ish) when they visited. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you never know Janice. They might just get their act together. I don't know about staying calm when they visited. I think perhaps I was all ranted out!

      Delete
  2. Here the problem is getting a contractor to do am estimate and call you back ...nobody seems to need small jobs. Home buildig is booming here and getting someone to work on an existing structure is near impossible! Work ethics are on the decline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think worth ethics are pretty much on the decline everywhere Charlotte. As you say, no-one these days is interested in the small jobs. With the onset of all the big DIY stores, most people tackle the small jobs themselves...often with disastrous results!

      Delete
  3. Plastic bag - answer to most technical problems in Turkey. We should have thought of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely BtoB. However we have taken it a step further and fixed an empty plastic water bottle over the part of the wire that was damp...problem solved!!

      Delete
  4. Grrr! Why on earth couldn't someone have worked this out ages ago and saved you so much aggravation, Ayak. I do hope this means the problem is solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touch wood, it's all working Perpetua. As I said to BtoB, the empty water bottle seems to be protecting the wire today, while the rain comes down.Almost two months of problems...and such a ridiculously simple reason.

      Delete
  5. It would feel a bit better if you thought that they'd learn from this and make sure others didn't suffer the same problems, but I guess not. I sympathise because we get the same problems here with the national phone company getting things wrong. I spend a lot of time going with irate Brits who don't have sufficient Spanish to explain that they no longer have a telephone line so why are they still getting bills and that sort of thing. There's such a lack of customer care.

    So, I believe it - but it's unbelievable! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so frustrating Annie. Having to phone TTNet and Turk Telekom every day for weeks on end. What annoys me most is that there is an option for an English speaking person at the call centre, which would be useful if I could actually understand them half of the time. But really irritating is, after I have ranted, they always end by saying"have a nice day"...grrrr

      Delete
  6. Oh yes! Like the junction box on the road to the house in France which their engineer refused to look at - preferring to start pulling the wires out of the wall at our house, before being ejected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine Helen! To be honest, I was actually quite relieved that they didn't attempt to move our wires to the inside of the house when they were here. I suspect we'd have ended up with extra holes in the wall. We already have enough rain coming in through the leaks without any more!

      Delete
  7. Good grief! It's funny to hear about, but I hope you guys can find a solution soon...
    Been enjoying your animal-feeding-backyard stories :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deniz. Whether the wires will be moved into the house by TTNet or Turk Telekom remains to be seen, but its all working fine at the moment xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x