Sunday, 10 March 2013

Home

The two mutts have made themselves at home.   As with all these wonderfully resilient dogs, as soon as you take them off the streets and feed them, they become your protectors.  They guard the property and make me feel very safe, particularly at night.

Our neighbour, Mehmet, who is adored by Poppy and also by Beki when she was alive, met Megan and Sammy for the first time yesterday.  He's a very kind man.  He was a little wary at first because they barked at him to prevent him coming near our gate.  I gave him some biscuits to feed them, and they calmed down and made friends with him.  He is happy that they are living outside our house, because he also feels protected, as his house is just a little way up the hill from ours.

They are very clever dogs.  They don't bark at everyone.  For example, three days ago an old lady who passes our gate every day, was just coming down the hill.  Megan and Sammy were stretched out in front of the gate, doing nothing.   Before she reached them, and before I could stop her, she had picked up a large rock and threw it at Sammy, hitting him on his back and making him scream.

Mr A and I were furious.  We were on the balcony so saw what happened...too fast for us to stop her.  I'm afraid I really lost my temper and shouted at her.  In fact I was sorely tempted to pick up a stone and throw it at her (and I believe I would if I ever saw her do it again).  Mr A had very strong words with her and she climbed over Dursune's wall and took a short cut through her yard.   She hasn't been back this way since.  

Sadly, this is the treatment street dogs get regularly from people in this country.  I'll never get used to it as long as I live.  It makes me want to weep.

The dogs are not using the brick kennel.  We think it's just in the wrong place.  Right at the back, with the opening facing up the hill.  They like to see what's going on.  We discovered that they are actually sleeping under the olive tree at the side of the house, just outside the gate.  This affords them some shelter but we've had some rain in the past few days, so Mr A erected what I can only describe as a mini "car port", under the olive tree and fixed to the side of the house.  They seem perfectly happy there, and can see anyone who approaches.
Shelter...much larger than it appears in the angle of this photo

Mr A received a request from the Kusadasi carpet people to go over there again this weekend as they had several groups of customers booked.   After his last disastrous trip, and the motorbike accident, I wasn't happy about him going.  However, once he's made up his mind, there's little I can do about it but worry.

He set off early yesterday morning.  He had groups yesterday and again today. I can only hope that he does at least earn something, which will go a little way towards covering the costs of the last trip.

He will be heading home this evening.



16 comments:

  1. Hope Mr. A has a ton of sucess. He needs to have some sucess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Kelleyn...it's long overdue x

      Delete
  2. It's funny how one village differs so much from another. Our village is very laid back about dogs, almost every house has one and they seem well treated. When Jake does a running rush down the drive barking his head off, the local stand their ground and tell him to shut up. However up the road in Mumcular dogs don't fare very well at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a mixed bunch in this village BtoB. Some will arm themselves with stones if they see a dog in the distance, whilst people like Dursune and the shepherds will tell them to shut up, but they are more used to working dogs. As for the old lady...well she's a miserable old so and so at the best of times!

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed for Mr. A.

    Dogs choose their own place, don't they?

    One of ours has taken to sleeping out at night under the street light...well, it's a light, but there's not a street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen.

      Yes they certainly do. After a whole day of hard work on the brick built kennel, they settle for this shelter which he knocked up in half an hour!

      Delete
  4. That stone throwing is appalling. I couldn't cope with that.
    The shelter looks very good and I do hope that the dogs are safer there.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it Maggie. It makes me so angry and I usually let my feelings known in no uncertain terms.

      The dogs seem happy with the shelter. They are as safe as I can make them without confining them.

      Delete
  5. I think those dogs know they're 'home'. It's a shame that people prefer to hurl stones and abuse at a problem rather than helping to solve it.
    I wish Mr A a safe and successful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, another person threw a stone this morning. The dogs were just stretched out in front of the gate sleeping...doing nothing. I went berserk and so did Mr A. He told them if they ever did it again he would throw a stone at them to see how they liked it!

      Delete
  6. I think those two dogs are now yours for life, Ayak, even if they don' like the brick-built kennel. :-) Fingers crossed that Mr A will earn something from this latest trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua. The dogs have certainly made themselves right at home.

      Delete
  7. Your post began so happily, I love hearing that the dogs have settled, even if they have chosen their own spot...but so sad to hear about the stone throwing. I presume she must have thought the dogs might go for her..it seems such a bizarre thing to do. I hope all goes well with Mr A's trip. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bizarre thing to do Janice, but sadly all too common here. I can almost understand it if a dog is barking at you and you feel threatened. But even then its possible to throw a stone to one side of them to scare them off rather than take direct aim. But the dog did absolutely nothing to warrant this.

      Delete
  8. Cant believe she threw a stone and I am not surprised in the slightest that you felt like throwing one back at her!! Hideous behavior!

    Love their new wee shelter though :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nasty behaviour Carol, but it happens out of fear and ignorance. My neighbour Dursune and Mehmet would probably have been the same before I moved here, but we've helped them to get used to the dogs, and they are no longer afraid of them.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x