Monday, 25 March 2013

I hope I'm not boring you...

...with all these posts about my dogs.  Please feel free to ignore them.  I won't be offended and I would hate for anyone to think "oh no, not another post about the dogs" as their eyes glaze over!

I do seem pretty much preoccupied with them at the moment.  It's hard work getting them settled and hoping that they will still be here on Friday so that they can have their ops and be safe.

Late last night I could hear Sammy and Megan barking down the road. Somehow they had managed to find a way out of the garden (these dogs would put Houdini to shame!).

They were playing with Blondie. When they saw me they came rushing back and I opened the gate for them to come in. Not Blondie though. She stayed put. I took down some food for her, then returned to to the house.

After a short while she gradually came up and settled outside the gate. I opened the gate to encourage her in but she was having none of it.

This morning there was no sign of her again. But at least she had food last night so I was hopeful that she would  keep returning to be fed.

It seemed like all three would play happily together in the street, but not in the garden.

A bit later this morning Mr A was up in the dogs area behind the house, fixing the fence where they escaped last night and Blondie appeared.  Megan stood staring at her through the fence and crying.  Mr A let Megan and Sammy out and they all played together.  In fact Megan greeted Blondie like a long lost sister and they were licking each other.

Mr A called them back into the garden. Megan and Sammy ran in confidently, and Blondie sat at the gate.  Gradually she plucked up the courage to come in.  There was a little territorial scuffle started by Megan, but nothing too bad.

Food is a big issue with Megan.  She appears to think that ALL food is hers, even Sammy is now wary of her, and will often back down and let her eat his food.   We are trying different ways of feeding them...seperately.   We think that we will bring Megan into the main garden to feed, leaving the other two in peace to enjoy their meals.  Maybe I'm thinking too deeply, but I wonder if Megan is like this because she has had puppies.  She would have had to fight hard for food to try to keep her babies alive.   Perhaps it's difficult for her to break the habit.

We also realise that Megan gets jealous if we make a fuss of the other two, so we are backing off.  We are going to avoid too much human physical contact, and leave them in their area to get to know each other better.  In spite of Megan's challenging behaviour, I absolutely love her.  I think in some ways life has been harder for her than it has for the others

I've never attempted to rescue three dogs at one time, so this is all trial and error for me.  But I refuse to give up on any of them. 

23 comments:

  1. I guess these dogs of yours are just sorting out the pecking order, and to some extent you've got to let them get on with it - just make sure they know that you and Mr A are No 1 and No 2! Once they've got that organised, and start to realise the food keeps coming regularly, I reckon they'll soon settle down. As ex-street kids though, they'll probably always tend to want a level of independence... then come home again. Well done you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary. Well I guess you can take the dog out of the streets but you cant take the street (life) out of the dogs...to some extent!

      Delete
  2. Trial and error, Ayak, and slowly, slowly. I think you're doing a great job and obviously Megan and Sammy, like children, want to keep you all for themselves (and the food you give them) but have no real issues with Blondie. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out before long. Good luck.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Annie. Have been peeking out of the window and all three are cuddled up asleep under their shelter, away from the gale force winds we have today xx

      Delete
  3. I think you should be commended on what you are doing for these poor animals Ayak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Westy. Seeing them thrive is reward enough. xx

      Delete
  4. There is no way I could be bored by these tales Ayak. I am fascinated by your amazing work with these animals, and look each day to see if something else has happened. The latest chapter sounds all good....they clearly are developing some kind of positive relationship with Blondie. Have you thought about writing it all down as a story for your grandchildren ? I think it would make a real adventure story. I intend telling Liam and Dexter, my 2 eldest grandsons all about them. I think they would love it, and it would help them understand a little about the street dog situation. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for not being bored Janice! I am feeling more positive about their relationships today. I keep looking out at them under the shelter, and it may sound daft, but it fills me with such joy to see them well fed and content.

      That's a good idea about writing it down for Billy and Jimi. Billy in particular is a real animal lover so I think he would enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy Blondi is back...it sounds like you're on the right track toward helping these 3 K9s to live relatively peaceful lives together. I'm definitely not bored hearing about your rescued animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Theanne. So far today...so good...touch wood!

      Delete
  6. Far from bored...intrigued.
    I'm glad Blondie's back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Helen. They are such characters, and so loving (not necessarily with each other all of the time though!)

      Delete
  7. Love hearing about the dogs - I'm sure they'll all settle down after they've had their ops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so BtoB. You should see Mr A and I trying to deal with feeding time....what a performance.

      Delete
    2. Love the dog stories... As much as those about fil and mil (took me some serious guessing regarding the abbreviations ;))

      Megan seems to be an alpha dog since she thinks food and attention are hers alone. They are usually just born like this. Circumstances don't make them that way. She needs to know who the boss is, then she will settle in with the rest I guess. Just leaving them sorting it out themselves might result in Blondie being driven away. But difficult to tell from afar.

      You are doing a grand job and I am sure they will settle down with you eventually. Dogs need people.

      Delete
    3. Forgot something. If you take your blog and convert it into a book - some condensing, some editing - I am sure lots of people would love to buy and read it, not only your grandsons.

      Delete
    4. Johanna I think you are probably right about Megan. And I am finding it easier each day to control her. I thought things were getting better with Blondie yesterday, but after feeding them this morning, Blondie has managed to escape again. Ah well...back to the drawing board.

      I do sometimes think about turning my blog into a book but there would be so much condensing and editing that I think it's way beyond my capabilities. If only I could find someone to do it for me!

      Delete
  8. Not bored at all. I had problems with my dog after my husband died and I was in a mess and let T. do much what he wanted. I had some great advice from a dog-trainer who based his approach on the fact that dogs run in packs in the wild and have set patterns and eating habits based on hierarchical order. The alpha wolf always eats first and the young ones come after. Once we got set into a pattern T. was much more settled and reassured. Set times, set dishes, set places for eating (always after you have eaten). In any case, they can't all just live together happily, somebody has to be second boss after you and Mr A. As Annie has said, the ops should settle some of pbs and as soon as they have some sort of boundaries, that should calm things down (at least I hope so for you). Anyway, you are a stronger woman than I am, looking after the 4 of them. You are earning a place in heaven (smiley, smiley)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky. It's really useful advice. I now have a set pattern for feeding. After a bit of a disaster yesterday with Mr A and I trying to organise it, with dog food all over the place, this morning I brought all three into our garden. I put Sammy up on the enclosed balcony with his bowl. I attached a chain to Megan's collar at the bottom of the balcony steps with her bowl, which then enabled me to feed Blondie without her feeling threatened. It worked well.

      Delete
  9. How could anyone be bored reading about your wonderful progress with these dogs who so deserve a better life? I've always freely admitted that i'm not a dog person, but your tales of your rescue dogs are so heartwarming, Ayak. Now if you want boring, my posts about our dreadful weather certainly risk being boring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pertpetua. Your posts are never boring...and anyway we're British aren't we? We always talk about the weather!

      Delete
    2. Oops...a typo...added an extra letter to your name..but I'll leave it because it's sort of nice!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x