Pages

Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Kindness

Megan and Sammy were stretched out sleeping under the shelter yesterday.  Dursune asked Mr A if they were now chained up.  "Of course not, we never chain up dogs" replied Mr A.  She couldn't understand why they would stay there without a chain.  I don't know how many times I have had to explain to Turks that there is absolutely no need to chain up their dogs.  As long as you treat them well and feed them regularly, they will happily protect you and your property.  They just don't get it.

Mehmet the vet came to see us last night.  He brought another 13kg of dog food for us which we had ordered, and also collected the kennel we bought last year for Poppy, which she hadn't used.  While he was here he gave Poppy a much needed haircut.  He charged the same as he had last year, with no extra cost for his petrol or time.

He and Mr A discussed the arrangements for Sammy and Megan's neutering with the Belediye vet.  Mr A explained that he was in the process of sorting out an appointment, and also trying to find transport to take them there.  Mehmet has a van in which he transports dogs, and he told Mr A that he was quite happy for him (Mr A) to borrow it from him on a day when he wasn't using it, to take the dogs to the Belediye vet.  He also said that he would give us antibiotics to use after the ops as he was pretty sure the Belediye vet wouldn't supply them.

Another dog turned up at the gate a couple of days ago.  She's not very old.  She doesn't stay around long enough to be fed, but she happened to put in an appearance when Mehmet was here.  He said that if Mr A was able to pick her up at the same time as Megan and Sammy, that he (Mehmet) would spay her free of charge.  He knew that we were pushing our luck to get the Belediye to agree to neuter two dogs, so a third would be out of the question.   I'm not sure we will adopt this other dog, but at least it will be one more prevented from reproducing.  Mehmet is one of the kindest people I know.  I am hoping to repay his kindness by getting a couple of things in England that he can't get here.

My toe is healing quite nicely.  The swelling has gone down, and I'm pretty sure now that it isn't actually broken.   I can manage to put on a shoe but not actually walk in it, but I feel it's heading in the right direction.  Thankyou everyone for your kind wishes.

14 comments:

  1. Sorry about your foot! I hope it heals quickly. So happy you found a wonderful vet. People who go the extra mile are so rare. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toe is a lot better today Kelleyn..thankyou. Mehmet is indeed a kind man.

      Delete
  2. ....have been away in Pennsylvania for a few days so I'm catching up on your posts. Sooo sorry about your foot, I'm normally not too clumsy at home but for some reason in Turkey I am.....glad your foot is getting better and you can put on a shoe.
    Your Vet sounds like a wonderful person, sometimes it's hard to find people like that....
    I'm enjoying reading your posts about your two new members if your family. They seem to have settled in and are pretty lucky doggys. Hope that nasty lil' old woman doesn't whip anymore rocks.
    Good luck with Mr. A's carpet job....I'll be in Kusadesi in a bit over a month and who knows I'm might just spot him there.LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica it's easy to be clumsy in Turkey with all the uneven pavements and roads.

      We have decided to fully enclose the back part of the garden for the dogs, because I just don't trust people not to throw rocks at them. I want to keep them safe

      Mr A still has the option to work in Kusadasi for the summer, but is trying to find work closer to home if possible. But you never know...maybe you will bump into each other! Was wondering about the dates you will be in Turkey. I'm in England from 20th to 30th April.

      Delete
  3. Mehmet continues to be wonderful...what a lovely man. Is it that your neighbours are frightened of the street dogs ? I would have thought that Dursune would have understood by now, having seen the way you care for them. I still cant get over the woman who threw the stone...did she think they were going to attack her ? So glad the foot is getting better.... mine are improving too ! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice it is mostly fear of the dogs, and this fear is handed down through the generations unfortunately. Which is why we always try to get the children wherever we've lived to make friends with our dogs. I've always believed education is the way forward here.

      Glad to hear your feet are improving too Janice xxx

      Delete
  4. Glad the toe is improving...will you go on your walk, do you think?

    Good luck with getting the new stray neutered while you have the offer of the van.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen. The walk has been postponed I'm sorry to say. I'm hoping for next week. Although perhaps I spoke too soon this morning as it has been quite painful again today.

      Yes I hope we can get the other dog neutered too, if she turns up again. Haven't seen her today.

      Delete
  5. Hi Ayak, A really nice blog. I am saddened so much how some parts of the society treat animals. However, like so many things it comes down to education. Luckily in my area the street dogs are treated with respect and quite a few neighbours put food out for them. If you don't mind I will put a link to your blog from mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Westy, and welcome. I'm very pleased to have found your blog too. Thankyou for adding a link to your blog, very kind of you.

      The treatment of street dogs does vary from area to area. Hopefully with the recent demos all over Turkey, attitudes may change. I live in hope!

      Delete
  6. I think it's a good thing we postponed the walk - we would probably have been blown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no doubt about that BtoB. I was almost blown away when I was out feeding the dogs. As for Poppy...she was almost lifted off her feet!

      Delete
  7. I guess I don't understand the dog thng there in Turkey. Is it because they think they are unclean? ...or because sustaining human life on meager returns from jobs...food difficult to aacquire for humans that dogs are considered a life form that if not to be concerned with out of necessity to maintian their own lifes? Do you understand? and if so...can you enlightened me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do understand what you mean Charlotte. I think it's a mixture of those things you mention, but there is also a fear of dogs based on ignorance really. People just don't realise that if you walk calmly past a dog, even if it's barking at you, it won't harm you. But they have a tendency to jump about and scream...which of course makes dogs bark even more. So they arm themselves with rocks and stones to prevent the dogs coming near them. I can understand this up to a point, and even to the extent that if you want a dog or pack of dogs to retreat, then throw a stone in their general direction...avoiding them directly of course...but no, they take aim and hit the dog who has done nothing whatsoever to harm them. They then teach their children to do the same. And so it goes on from one generation to the next. Teaching the children to respect animals is the only way, and what Mr A and I try desperately to do on a daily basis.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x