Tuesday, 26 March 2013

One step forward and two back

After feeling so pleased yesterday that Blondie had returned, and was happily settled in the dog area with the other two, it seems like we are back to square one this morning.

I had some good advice from some of you on my previous post.  I've also been posting on a long established dog forum, so am picking up some very useful tips.

Feeding time early last evening was a bit of a disaster.  Mr A and I had a plan.  We would let Megan into our garden and I would feed her, then Mr A would feed Blondie and Sammy in their area on the other side of the fence.  I warned Mr A to hold the bowls up high as Sammy tends to jump and knock the bowls from your hand.  I have managed to stop him doing this, so on reflection, I should have let Mr A feed Megan and I would feed the other two.

So, Megan...no problem.  Mr A had the bowls knocked from his hands by Sammy, but there was no fighting between him and Blondie, so they managed to eat ok.  We then put Megan back into the dog area.  No problems.  They settled down for the night without incident.

This morning, I had a better plan.  It's important for me to find a way of feeding all three on my own, because when Mr A starts work, he won't be around to help (or hinder as the case may be!).

Sammy had his food up on the enclosed balcony.  He is the only one of the three who will happily climb the balcony steps.

I fixed a chain to the bottom of the balcony steps and attached Megan's collar to this and she had her food there.  This enabled me to feed Blondie away from the two of them, so she could eat without interference.  It worked well.  I took up the bowls, let Sammy out of the balcony and unchained Megan.  The three of them then followed me to the gate to their area and they entered, with no problems.

However, an hour or so later I noticed that Blondie was gone.  She is continuing to find escape routes.

So it's back to the drawing board again.

12 comments:

  1. No I think its more than 2 steps forward and still only 1 back.... there is some progress here, as long as Blondie reappears for food. Well done Ayak, Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And...it's all change again Janice! She's back again..in the garden...who knows for how long!!

      Delete
  2. While there's food she'll be around...but on her terms by the look of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It certainly seems that way Helen.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like progress to me. I'm sure they will come round in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling more confident about that each day Annie.

      Delete
  4. sounds like the eating situation is pretty much figured out...what to do about a roaming spirit...a bit more difficult! I believe you said you were going to have Blondi spayed, perhaps her wander lust will abate somewhat when this is done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have just fed them again using the same system Theanne, and its working well.

      All three are due their ops on Friday,providing Blondie is around when its time for them to go to the vet. If not she will have to go later. Yes it may stop her from wandering.

      Delete
  5. This is sounding very good...progress being made. Probably will take time.
    You have a big warm heart to take all these doggys'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like progress to me too and knowing you, you won't give up. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x