Pages

Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Problems walking.

It was a beautiful morning so we got up early and took the dogs for a walk.  Blondie had been in the dog garden for most of the night but had disappeared sometime in the early hours, so it was just Megan, Sammy and Poppy walking with Mr A and I.  She turned up at the gate shortly after we arrived home, was fed, then joined the other two in their garden.

Poppy is of course used to being on a lead.  We tried Sammy and Megan on leads for the first time.  Sammy took to it like a duck to water, walking obediently alongside Mr A.   Megan was a totally different story.  She just dug her heels in and refused to budge, until I removed the lead.   Then she trotted alongside the rest of us with no problems at all.

I tried the lead again at intervals, but she adamantly refused to walk.  Thankfully, living in a village it doesn't matter too much walking dogs off leads, and in any case Megan is of course streetwise, and keeps well out of the way of passing traffic.



This was the first proper walk I had had since injuring my toe two and half weeks ago.  When we returned home, my toe was throbbing and the top of my foot aching.  I probably overdid it.  Mr A has been nagging me to go to the hospital for the past week, and finally I gave in.  And this is the timetable of events:

...arrived at Milas Devlet Hospital at 9.45am.  Registered at reception, and took my numbered ticket.

...fought through the crowds to find the surgery of one of the orthopaedic surgeons.

...lots of other people waiting, but no numbers appearing on the board

...eventually at 10.15am a woman appeared to say that the doctor wouldn't be there until 12.00.

...Mr A back to reception, asked for another ticket to see a different orthopaedic doctor.

...10.45am saw doctor.  Sent for an x-ray.

...Informed by x-ray department no-one available to do x-rays until 1.30pm.

... Went into Milas for lunch (Very nice)
Huge salad and chips..this is just one portion! 8 lira (less than £3)

...1.20pm back to x-ray department.  In and out within 10 minutes

...back to doctor.  Informed that he wouldn't be back until 4.00pm.

...Mr A very angry.  Went off to see hospital manager.  Bit of shouting.  Manager sent us to see
   someone else, who phoned the Emergency Department, where it transpired they were not busy
   and there was an orthopaedic doctor available to see me.

...Doctor looked at x-ray.  No bones broken but nasty sprain, and the doctor said I should have gone
   to the
   hospital when it was first injured. It will apparently take a fair number of weeks to    
   heal.   I need to keep it elevated as much as possible, and no more long walks for a  
   while.Prescription for strong painkillers, ibubrofen cream and Vitamin
   B.  In and out within 5 minutes.

All of this time-wasting could have been avoided if only I had listened to Mr A.  When we arrived at the hospital he said we should go straight to the Emergency Department.  I refused, saying it wasn't an emergency as I did it weeks ago, and didn't want to take up valuable time of doctors.  As it turned out, the Emergency doctors hadn't been busy all day.  Sometimes I should just do as I am told!

22 comments:

  1. oh my Ayak...you're so right, sometimes we do need to do what we're told :D

    sounds like some of the experiences Don and I had when seeing doctors...Don always said "go to the top"

    blessings to Mr. A for being your protector...so no more walkies with the K9s for a while!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don gave sensible advice Theanne.I really enjoyed the walk apart from the pain, so I hope it won't be too long before I'm out there again.

      Delete
  2. It's being British, isn't it!

    We always think we are making a fuss about nothing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nail on the head there Helen. I was so embarrassed at being dragged off to the Emergency Dept with a sore toe. I shouldn't have worried, they were very nice.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes the thought of going to the hospital is worse than the pain from the injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Annie...which is why I kept putting it off.

      Delete
  4. The dog walking bit of this post is wonderful. it brought back memories of me trying to get our springer spaniel Lucy to walk on a lead.....she never managed it in 13 years. She would happily walk with us, or run ahead, check on us and run back....but would not budge on a lead.
    The hospital saga sounds so frustrating, especially as Mr A was right. Hopefully the pleasant lunch, and getting you foor sorted out finally, will mean things are ok. Take care Jxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice, I guess some dogs really don't take to it, if your Lucy was anything to go by.

      The lunch was good, and at least it was something to do to wile away the time xx

      Delete
  5. Maybe you could try something we call "Schleppleine" - towing line? To get Megan used to a little restraint at first without putting her too much under control. I used it to accustom my dog to walking without a lead. It might work the other way round as well.

    Too bad your foot will keep you from taking walks now that spring has arrived. From what I can see in our weatherforecast we will remain in Winter until the middle of April at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about something like that Johanna, but to be honest the environment we live in means that she is quite safe off the lead. She was quite distressed which I hate to see. As I still don't know exactly how old she is, I wonder if she was previously "owned" and kept on a short chain as is so often the case here, and if she was also badly treated, this may explain her reaction.

      I hope that awful weather goes before I arrive in the UK on 20th April.

      Delete
  6. Poor Ayak, NOT what you wanted with all the dogs to look after. I'm glad there's nothing broken, but sprains can be very painful and take a long time to heal unless you're good and follow the doctor's advice. Been there and done that too, so listen to Aunty Perpetua. ;-) Mr A is a star, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr A certainly does have his moments Perpetua! I will try to follow the doctor's...and your advice. I need to be walking well by the time I get to England. xx

      Delete
  7. Geçmis olsun. Soft tissue injuries can be very painful, but they do get better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's as Helen says, it's a very British thing not to make a fuss, isn't it. Glad you finally got it sorted.

    Our dogs are really naughty on the lead - back in the UK we lived in quite a built up area so we used to jump in the car with them and drive them to the countryside, where they ran free. Now we're in Istanbul they have had to get used to being on the lead and they don't like it at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how difficult it is getting them used to leads in Istanbul, which of course is essential.

      I don't think Megan will ever accept a lead. She is so strong, she will not move one inch.

      Delete
  9. Hope your ankle gets better soon Ayak. Always best to be safe than sorry. Full admiration for Mr A's persistence:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Westy. Oh it's Turkish man thing, I'm sure you know what I mean..lots of shouting and arm waving!

      Delete
  10. Oh dear......... I did just the same kind of thing when I twisted my ankle & walked on it straight away. Regret it now as months later that foot is numb right through the middle.
    Hope you haven't left it too late to elevate & rest.
    Enjoying the doggie saga.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's silly isn't it Maggie? You're probably like me and think if you just ignore it, it will get better. The doggie saga continues..hard work but very rewarding.

      Delete
  11. Hahaha maybe this is the time you should have listened to Mr A lol. Hope it doesnt take too long to heal and that u r fighting fit soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks greygirl. Yes I hate to admit he was right on this occasion xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x