Saturday, 30 March 2013

Shocks

When Mr A returned from the vet with Megan and Sammy, we settled them on blankets and towels on the balcony.  They were both very drowsy, Megan more than Sammy, but then a male being neutered isn't as big an operation as spaying a female.

We heard that Blondie's operation had gone well, and Mehmet said he would bring her home today.

After an hour or so, Sammy got up and with me holding his collar was able to wobble down the balcony steps to go to the toilet.  Obviously in discomfort, he wobbled about and finally settled on some grass.  A little later he ate a small amount of food.  Eventually he returned to the balcony to settle down next to Megan.

Megan was very drowsy.  She sipped some water, but carried on sleeping.  I noticed a few spots of blood coming from the sutures and Mr A phoned Mehmet who said it was nothing to be concerned about, and he would check on her today.

I decided to sleep on the sofa as it is near the window looking out on the balcony, so I could keep an eye on them both.  I popped out several times to check.  Sammy had moved position but Megan was in the same spot.  She seemed ok.

At around 5am, as it was just starting to get light, I went out again and there was a lot of blood all over the towels.  It looked like it was coming from the sutures.

I panicked and immediately had flashbacks to Beki's awful situation last year before she died.  I was absolutely distraught, woke Mr A up, and he phoned Mehmet.  He said he would come out immediately.

By the time he arrived, Megan had got up, walked down the balcony steps, and been to the toilet.  On checking the sutures, there was just the tiniest spot of blood.

Mehmet explained that when he operated on Megan even though there were no outward signs,  she was about to come into season, so blood had to be removed, some of which was still leaking out.  The fact that it looked so bad was because she had been lying in the same position all night.  Had she moved about it probably wouldn't have been so horrifying.  He had actually told Mr A about her being due for her season, and had I known this I probably wouldn't have panicked.  But yesterday Mr A was so focussed on getting three dogs to the vet (one of which had to be found first) that he probably forgot or didn't hear.

 Mehmet was very kind, and said he could understand my panic and upset because of Beki, but this was totally different.  In the meantime, Sammy was starting to lick his wound, so Mehmet put a "bucket" on him...he is really not a happy boy about this and keeps glaring at me.  He is fine, having eaten this morning and barked at a few passers-by.

Megan has a big bandage around her body to stop her touching the wound.  Mehmet thought this better than distressing her with a bucket.   They have both had antibiotics and pain relief.  Megan will take a bit longer to recover but Mehmet assures me she will be fine.

Blondie will be coming home tomorrow.  Mehmet is very busy today, and as he has now checked on Megan, he can do so again when he comes tomorrow.

Before he left we sat and had coffee.  He tells us that Megan and Sammy are around the same age, about 10 months to a year old.  Maybe they could be brother and sister, as they seem to get on so well.  He thinks Megan would have had her first season early at perhaps 5 months, and become pregnant immediately.

Now for another shock:

According to Mehmet, our Blondie is an Akbas Kangal.  She is about 6 or 7 months old.  Here is a picture of an Akbas Kangal fully grown:

 
What have we let ourselves in for???
 

18 comments:

  1. Well, yes, I can imagine that would be a bit of a surprise! However as a positive point if you were looking to have her adopted, Turkish people might be interested in having a Kangal. I've known people here who have driven to Sivas to buy Kangal puppies. And if she decides to stay with you, they do say that they are very faithful and excellent guard dogs. And all the Kangals I know, even the strays, are surprisingly gentle for their size. However I am glad you were sitting down when he told you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she is pure Kangal Vicky, I'm surprised that she's turned up in our village. I'm hoping she is a cross, so maybe not quite so big as the one in the pic!

      In any case adoption will be a last resort if all else fails. I'm hoping the ops will settle them all down a bit. I wouldn't consider letting Turks have her. I try not to be disrespectful to Turkish people, but those with kangals tend to cut off their ears to make them look more ferocious, and I wouldn't risk her being abused in this way...it's barbaric and unnecessary.

      I do have two English friends in Cappadocia who are thinking of getting a kangal at some point, but not sure if they are ready yet..they would be the only ones I would consider as they used to look after Beki for me.

      Delete
  2. OMG! You can't afford to feed a dog that size surely? What will you do? I've been following all this very closely, the ups and downs of the dogs but t his last news is the one that worries me the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a shock KV, but I am not sure that the vet is completely right. It may well be that she is a kangal cross...and there are many of them about...in which case she won't grow to the size of a small horse! We'll just have to wait and see, and deal with it when the time comes. I know you worry about the cost, and I appreciate that very much, but we won't see any of the dogs go hungry (although we may well have to go on a diet lol)...Mr A could do with losing a fair bit of weight!

      Delete
  3. Spaying and neutering accomplished... brilliant job Ayak, and as for Blondie....wow.....I hope, for your sake that she does turn out to be a cross...with something smaller... and that maybe you are able to get her suitably re homed somewhere you trust. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy having a garden full of happy and much safer than before,dogs. Well done again Ayak, you are a complete inspiration. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice. If she doesn't grow too big we will keep her, providing she doesn't keep running off, but if she turns out like that picture, then I think she may well be too big to handle!

      Delete
  4. Glad all turned out well....for the doggys'. Those dogs sure are lucky to have you, Mr. A and Mehmet. It sure sounded like a scare I would have been the same as you....worried and panicked, but happy it turned out well. Those neck buckets, poor doggy and I like the way you mentioned he was looking right at you.
    Blondie a Kangal...eeeks!!!! I found a breeder here in Canada once and my husband said absolutely NO NO NO!!! His friend has two of them, and when I saw them in Bergama well I'll pass and not bug my husband to ship one here.
    Hopefully Blondie is a mix, and maybe you could keep her. She's so adorable poor lil' thing. I'm dreading going to Turkey and seeing those street dogs, not use to it and out come the waterworks.....because we can't do anything much.
    Take care and keep up the good work. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I must say I agree with your husband Erica...I think these kangals are quite hard work. I don't know if I have the energy for it at my age. But I'm hoping that she won't grow too big, because I really would like to keep her.

      I know what you mean about seeing the dogs on your visists. I should be used to it by now, but I'm not

      Delete
  5. oh Ayak...that is one HUGE K9...Blondi won't have to jump, climb, or dig under a fence, she'll just walk over it. I'm not familiar with this breed so will have to look it up...what a magnificent head though, a handsome, if large, K9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really beautiful animals aren't they Theanne? Very regal looking I think. Yes I guess if she reaches that size, just stepping over the fence will be easy for her!

      Delete
  6. I can understand your worry with Megan...you must have been beside yourself. Trust men not to remember something important...

    I just bet Sammy is not too pleased....the Alsatian regarded us with great disgust when wearing his lampshade after an op, though the puppy, wearing one after being spayed, thought of it as something with which to alarm the other dogs...pouncing on them from the sofa.

    I know you two will always find the wherewithal to feed and care for your animals....but I do hope Blondie is a cross (preferably with a dachshund).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really upset Helen, a wreck in fact, but Mehmet was so nice and said it was perfectly understandable given the horrors of last year with Beki. Megan is fine now, she's eating and not so drowsy. As for Sammy, he is now trying to mount Megan. I suppose he is trying to prove that he is still able to do so, even without his balls!

      Oh yes...a dachsund cross would be a perfect result :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh My Goodness...... I dog that size could eat you out of house and home!
    Hoping they are mistaken.

    Hope all the hobbling doggy friends will recover well from their ops and that they will all settle down.
    You are so kind to them. More like a mother. They are so lucky to have you.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a scary thought Maggie...I hope Mehmet is mistaken.

      They are recovering well (just look at my comment to Helen above about Sammy!!)

      Delete
  8. Crikey, Ayak, I do hope Mehmet is wrong about Blondie or she'll east you out of house and home! I'm glad that Megan is OK, though I can understand how frightening all the blood must have been. I hope all three are soon fully recovered from their ops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Perpetua. I hope he is wrong too! They seem to be recovering well.

      Delete
  9. I doubt that Blondie is anything purebred. For a Kangal she is missing the characteristic black mask. There are plenty of different races in Turkey - not everything light colored is a Kangal. At least I hope so. Problem is not only the size but their independence and superiority. But Blondie does not seem to have this character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, the Akbas kangal, which Mehmet referred to, does not have the black mask. It's the Karabas kangal that does.She is certainly very independent, but it remains to be seen whether she is an Akbas when she is fully grown. Difficult to say at this point in time.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x