Friday, 15 March 2013

The ops are booked

I am growing very fond of Megan and Sammy.  They really are becoming part of the family.  I didn't want them to feel confined, so we have let them wander off as much as they want to, because they always come back to be fed.

However, they love the shelter under the olive tree, and spend most of their time there.  In fact they have stopped wandering around the village altogether now.  Over the past couple of days we have introduced them to the garden.  They run around, then stretch out in the driveway.  They sleep a lot, probably because they are happy, well fed and safe at last.

They love Poppy and she loves them.  They are very gentle with her, which is lovely to see.

Mr A has now enclosed the back of the garden completely with chicken wire, and this is where they go at night to sleep under their shelter, and there is also lots of space for them to wander about.

The winter months have taken their toll.  They both appear to have a touch of arthritis on getting up from sleep.  I still have some Rimadyl anti-inflammatory tablets which are in date, which I had for Beki, so I gave them one each today, which seems to help.

After much consideration, I decided against using the Belediye vet to have them neutered.  I don't have much faith in Belediye vets in general, and I don't want to take the risk, just because it will be done free of charge.   We had a word with Mehmet today, and although he is very busy, he has agreed to do their ops next Friday.  Because he has so little time, Mr A will collect Mehmet's van and transport the dogs to the surgery, wait until they are recovering, then bring them back home.  He also has some more vaccinations for them, which we will collect tomorrow.  He has offered to do the ops for both dogs for 160 lira (about £60) in total, including all injections and antibiotics, and the use of his van, providing we don't tell anyone else how little he is charging.  (So please keep quiet about it!).

He also said that he would do the op for the other street dog who occasionally appears at our gate, free of charge, if we can bring her over at the same time, or later.  He will also supply vaccinations for this dog FOC.

I want to take this opportunity of thanking John in Bodrum, who offered the op for Megan FOC, and also Annie at BacktoBodrum for her kind offer of transport.  I am so grateful to them, but I'm sure you will understand that we have chosen the most convenient option, with the least amount of inconvenience to others.

I am overwhelmed by Mehmet's kindness.  He knows Mr A is out of work at the moment, and even said don't worry about paying immediately, that he was happy to wait.  This is a man who truly cares about animals, something rare in this country.

And here are my lovely dogs:
Sammy and Megan relaxing in the garden

Poppy showing off her new haircut

Megan keeping guard, and Sammy posing for the camera

16 comments:

  1. This all sounds good. Megan, Sammy and Poppy look so content and you sound less stressed by it all. Contentment all round,and as spring arrives, that should all feel good. Lets hope Mr A finds some work soon. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am feeling a lot happier about taking on these two dogs, even though I swore I would have no more after Beki died. Thanks Janice xx

      Delete
  2. Poppy looks like she needs an Easter bonnet to go with that outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea BtoB...or perhaps a little headscarf would be more appropriate.

      Delete
  3. I think you're right to go with Mehmet's offer...you'll feel much better about it.

    I too think Poppy looks rather chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Helen. I trust Mehmet.

      Poppy's just lovely x

      Delete
  4. The doggy's looks so happy and what a good heart you and Mr. A have to look after them. They know they are lucky and well loved that they are hanging around more at home....love Poppy in her new outfit..... looks like she's ready for Easter in her finesse, BB said all she needs is a Bonnet.
    It sure is better that you are having Mehmet do the surgery instead of someone else....
    Hope Mr. A finds a steady job of some kind....
    Take care....and looks like your garden is coming along...I see some green. We still have snow flakes and all grey brown 'stuff' on the ground.
    E XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica. No sooner had I said here that they had stopped wandering, than they disappeared for more than 4 hours last night. They returned eventually but I couldn't sleep until I knew they were safe. And in spite of all the chicken wire fencing, Megan managed to jump on a large flowerpot and over the fence this morning. She didn't go far. I think she just wanted to prove she could do it! I opened the gate later to see if they wanted to go out, but they declined!

      Weather here is strange at the moment, storms and gale force winds this week. Should clear in a couple of days. Don't envy your weather...stay warm xx

      Delete
  5. Once again I am really touched by your kindness. I really feel its better to go for Mehmet's ops even though you have to pay, if you think that he is the best vet to do the job.
    They do look in really good condition and your garden is looking good.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's the best man for the job Maggie. The dogs are looking so much healthier now that they've had a couple of weeks of regular food. And thankyou...am very pleased with how the garden is progressing xx

      Delete
  6. Good for you Ayak, they look so happy and adorable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Westy. They do seem quite content.

      Delete
  7. I do love a good news post and this is certainly that, Ayak. The dogs look well and happy and thanks to Mehmet's kindness and generosity on top of yours, life will soon be even better for them. Well done, all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perpetua. They deserve a good life.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x